U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 PM

1,518 posts, read 700,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Looking into the money circulating in a community statememt have turned up false. There's no measurement or assessment in how long money stays within any community.

Overall it does make sense that there was more of a vibrant business districts throughout Black communities due to segragation. Afterwards, it spreadout to other areas of said places.
Source? I'm thinking it had to come from somewhere or some type of calculation from those times. Yeah, there was more of a community for melanated people during those times even though cards were stacked against the society-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 05:07 PM

1,442 posts, read 847,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Source? I'm thinking it had to come from somewhere or some type of calculation from those times. Yeah, there was more of a community for melanated people during those times even though cards were stacked against the society-wise.
Does a Dollar Spent in the Black Community Really Stay There for Only Six Hours? | Truth Be Told

Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 AM

I just read it and it makes sense. My thing is, who came up with it enough to go back and come up with a certain number from back in the 1920s? Like you mentioned, there was a thriving community and the dollar recirculation was at a much higher rate than today. For sure.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:51 PM

Currently, just finished reading about what happened in Longview, Texas' Red Summer craziness: Longview Race Riot of 1919.

Video below

The Longview Race Riot

Old 01-27-2020, 01:24 AM

1,442 posts, read 847,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I just read it and it makes sense. My thing is, who came up with it enough to go back and come up with a certain number from back in the 1920s? Like you mentioned, there was a thriving community and the dollar recirculation was at a much higher rate than today. For sure.
Most likely rooted in misinformation or loose knit economic analysis. I would expect a formula or diagram would show an individual how to calculate such circulation.

The business districts strive due to the times generally.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:33 PM

This article on Jesse Binga in Chicago was a good one. Bad ending though.

Old Today, 09:00 AM

It was known as Mooree Quarters and part of Oxford, Alabama. It was majority "black" so that meant blacks held sway in elections since they could vote. The mayor of Oxford had the city lines redrawn and annexed Mooree Quarters away. Mooree Quarters became Hobson City, Alabama in August 1899.

The above was a good story but 1919 rolled around and the kkk sent out death threats to the mayor of this small "black" town because they didn't like the idea of blacks in leadership positions and just threatened to come against the small town.

(Sometimes, you just have to laugh at the absurdity of this deep hatred. A small town can't even govern themselves in one's eyes? Klan people were so triggered that a "black" person dared call himself a mayor of a town that was intentionally drawn out of Oxford. Terrorists behavior is pathetic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or