U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 11:43 PM

26,807 posts, read 25,460,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Some gave ALL...………..all gave SOME.
Yes. He did what he was ordered to do. He was lucky to not be blown up.

He never went to boot camp and learned how to march and use his weapon on the ship over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:27 AM

3,485 posts, read 2,260,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I usually don't post personal information on here, but over Christmas I was visiting family in another state, including my aging father (in his 90s).

He flew a B26 Invader in the Korean War, flying 50 missions over the bomb line into North Korea on night interdiction missions in 1952-53. The B26 was perfect for Korea: a light and fast bomber designed to fly at low altitudes and drop a heck of alot of ordnance including napalm, and top it off with strafing runs with up to six machine guns in the nose or wing. He has written down his memories about a decade ago for his children and grand children telling his daily life on a rustic air base, the cold, the military nonsense he had to go through, his life between missions at the base, and some of his more hair raising missions. But it was somewhat watered down, with only hints here and there of the horrors those in the air and on the ground must have gone through. He had also forgotten alot.

Last few years I have gotten more and more into the history - reading books the Korean War, sharing books with my father on the B26. This year I had a historical air force jacket created with a historically correct patches designated his bomber squadron and wing that I proudly showed to him just last week on my visit. For christmas I gave him a B26 coffee cup and one of my left over patches. For me, it's part of history, somewhat glamorous and adventurous. I want to hear more and understand more from him, hey it's part of history. I love history.

This was a mistake I think, it's resurrected some dark memories. I just found out now that on Christmas day this week my sister sat with him as he was staying at her families house (I would see him later that day). He was up, sat on a bed, and said softly "Christmas 1952 was a bad time for me", he then described flying 4 missions back to back. December 23rd to December 26th. Then he looked down and said "I killed people on Christmas Day" and was quiet for a time and didn't say a word after that. Just repeated it was a bad time. Finally they moved on to another topic. And me the idiot later that day gave him a B26 coffee cup as his Christmas gift. It breaks my heart, what he must have been thinking about all day.

Not sure what the lesson is here except that for those that prod our fathers and grandfathers for their war history, be careful about digging to deep. Some thought are best left forgotten. It breaks my heart that I caused these memories to resurface.
Disagree 100%. Only way to learn (for the benefit of self or others) is through oh-so-painful experience. I have never been in the military but I've struggled with depression for 15 years and I would never want my painful memories to be repressed, or suppressed, for my own good.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

5,703 posts, read 2,479,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Disagree 100%. Only way to learn (for the benefit of self or others) is through oh-so-painful experience. I have never been in the military but I've struggled with depression for 15 years and I would never want my painful memories to be repressed, or suppressed, for my own good.
everyone is different...…….just depression in general in my opinion can not compare with trauma from a battlefield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or