U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 09:36 PM

544 posts, read 757,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Churchill was also prime minister from 1951 till 1955.

I suggest reading Boris Johnson’s bio of Churchill for a enlightening study of the greatest man of the 20th Century
Would you consider Churchill greater than Napoleon- all things considered? I wouldn't but would like to hear your answer. If not- Is it because of his nationality(I have observed many westerners prefer Churchill simply because he was English. I am Indian by the way and feel things such as nationality or race or religion should not factor in these discussions). Churchill was a grand writer above all, but Napoleon was a grand tactician and strategist and for that reason he is 1 and Churchill 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 07:40 AM

36,852 posts, read 20,331,072 times
Teddy Roosevelt, the trust buster.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:30 AM

10,494 posts, read 4,670,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Teddy Roosevelt... no contest.

Indeed, as I am not sure why the OP thinks anyone (except maybe a Brit) would not vote for TR.

`

Old 01-13-2020, 09:05 AM

999 posts, read 612,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Would you consider Churchill greater than Napoleon- all things considered? I wouldn't but would like to hear your answer. If not- Is it because of his nationality(I have observed many westerners prefer Churchill simply because he was English. I am Indian by the way and feel things such as nationality or race or religion should not factor in these discussions). Churchill was a grand writer above all, but Napoleon was a grand tactician and strategist and for that reason he is 1 and Churchill 2.
Since you're Indian read _Churchill's Secret War_ by Madhusree Mukerjee and then tell me if you still think he's great.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:09 AM

7,123 posts, read 11,077,053 times
I would group Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, and Napoleon as human history's most influential conquerors.

But among Napoleon, Teddy Roosevelt, and Churchill to run a government today, I would choose Teddy Roosevelt, then Churchill by a close second, then Napoleon by a long distance.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:19 AM

12,816 posts, read 19,042,949 times
Quote:
Again, it's kind of a strange comparison. I don't get it. You are comparing significantly different leaders in two distinctly different areas - one primarily known as a battlefield general and successful conqueror (and secondary as a dictator), the other as a statesman. Why not compare Napoleon to other generals, or maybe other leaders of authoritative police states - Hitler or Stalin.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:48 AM

2,810 posts, read 1,536,585 times
Napoleon was certainly the most influential of the three internationally. Who wouldn't know that. Many English speakers prefer Churchill simply because he was English. He has become quite a big star in Anglo pop culture and thanks to it's influence, he has probably become more influential than he really was. T. Roosevelt and his activity in Europe is mostly known only to a narrow circle of people interested in history.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:02 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,031,137 times
Quote:
If you had a choice to give one of them the authority to run your government who would you choose. Hypothetical question.
Napoleon of course. You can only be leader if you can take power and keep it, and out of those three Napoleon best at that.

Second place is TRoos for his anti-trust legislation. What has Churchill done for the common folk?

Napoleon had some very liberal ideals for peasants too.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aq_gRfmjgY[/url]

Old 01-13-2020, 12:04 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,031,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Without a question, the great "muckraker" (reformer) and conservationist [B][U]Teddy Roosevelt[/U][/B]. He is on Mount Rushmore largely because of his great conservation work but also did numerous other reforms.

Churchill was a great war time leader and very experienced in foreign policy but I have no idea what he is like on the domestic side.

Napoleon, do we really want a leader who wants to crown himself Emperor and annex half of Europe?
LOL TRoos's USA has a land area the size of Europe, and Churchill presided over an overseas empire biggest in history.

At least Napoleon had to earn his territory himself.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 17,739,972 times
Which Napoleon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or