U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 AM

2,004 posts, read 538,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Only thing my school taught was pilgrim to 1812, every year, over and over. I did not learn anything about civil war till the history channel started.
A B.A.-History Channel is perhaps marginally more impressive than a degree from the University of YouTube. But only marginally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 AM

8,792 posts, read 2,166,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Only thing my school taught was pilgrim to 1812, every year, over and over. I did not learn anything about civil war till the history channel started.
With me, it was through the Civil War, and then, like you, the next year it was back to the 1600's!! (No wonder U.S. public education has such a bad rep if things haven't changed.)

Old 01-17-2020, 08:10 PM

10,360 posts, read 9,838,525 times
Seems to me that people aren't knowledgeable about history in general.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:44 PM

122 posts, read 66,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Seems to me that people aren't knowledgeable about history in general.

Yup.

Like i think on one fox news tv segment a person asks people on the street about stuff like the 4th of July and seems many give the wrong answers. Makes me wonder what they are teaching in schools.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:10 PM

327 posts, read 263,455 times
All that most Americans really know about history is-

Vietnam War
Civil Rights Era
WWII
Great Depression
Civil War
Revolutionary War
Christopher Columbus
Um Henry VIII? Shakespeare?
Roman Empire
Bible Era Stuff

Old 01-22-2020, 03:13 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,738,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Because Seems some don't know about much of the history or such from that time. I once put a song on the radio that was in old english and for some reason a person thought they were singing in romanian or such. I wonder why some people seem ignorant to something that happened 1000 years ago.

You already answered your question. It is because it "happened 1000 years ago." Most people have little knowledge of what happened 10 years ago, or 50 years, or a 100 years ago. Schools waste too much time on ancient history and the Middle Ages, and neglect more recent American history. Schools want to teach history like they did 50 years ago, but forget there is now 50 more years of history to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post

Vietnam War
Civil Rights Era
WWII
Great Depression
Civil War
Revolutionary War
Christopher Columbus
Roman Empire
Bible Era Stuff

I guess it has been awhile since you've been in an American history class. Students today have minimal understanding of all of those items.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:49 PM

10,103 posts, read 17,812,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post

Vietnam War
Civil Rights Era
WWII
Great Depression
Civil War
Revolutionary War
Christopher Columbus
Roman Empire
Bible Era Stuff

You are being overly generous. Most Americans couldn't put that list together in chronological order, let alone speak intelligently about them.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:06 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,738,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are being overly generous. Most Americans couldn't put that list together in chronological order, let alone speak intelligently about them.
I've asked high school history classes if they can put 3 US wars in chronological order. It doesn't matter which ones I pick (other than WWI and II). Most can't get it right. For example, put WWI, the Civil War, and the Vietnam war in chronological order.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised by Trump's history knowledge. He is probably average.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:07 PM

122 posts, read 66,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've asked high school history classes if they can put 3 US wars in chronological order. It doesn't matter which ones I pick (other than WWI and II). Most can't get it right. For example, put WWI, the Civil War, and the Vietnam war in chronological order.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised by Trump's history knowledge. He is probably average.

I heard a reenactor who was doing civil war reenactment got asked what world war his uniform was from.
I'm like what?

Old 01-24-2020, 01:17 PM

8,264 posts, read 4,090,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
I heard a reenactor who was doing civil war reenactment got asked what world war his uniform was from.
I'm like what?
A park ranger at Gettysburg told me a story about a ranger who showed his group a cannonball that was lodged in the building known as the Wills house. Lincoln had spent the night there before delivering his wise words the following day. A visitor, looking at the cannonball asked the question "is that the shot that killed Lincoln"?
Should we laugh or cry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or