U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-31-2020, 07:11 PM
 
12,128 posts, read 10,999,647 times
Reputation: 15889

Advertisements

After all the decades of silence, it was nice for them that the subject moved to the fore, even if a half-century after the fact.


At Auschwitz, Survivors Plead ‘Never Forget’
“I feel uplifted when I see so many of you here who will carry the memory of innocent people from all nations of the world who met their death here,” she said, her voice often cracking with emotion. “You will make sure that those horrors are never repeated. I’m sorry, I apologize for the emotions.”
Fifteen years ago, some 1,500 survivors attended the anniversary event. This year, there were about 200, and, for many, it is likely to be their last visit.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...tW9?li=BBnb4R5
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2020, 07:24 PM
 
3,000 posts, read 1,256,727 times
Reputation: 8010
The world owes it to them to never forget.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 10:29 PM
 
3,000 posts, read 1,256,727 times
Reputation: 8010
Having gone to Auschwitz was life changing. I wish more people could experience it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 07:41 PM
 
6,169 posts, read 3,361,654 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Having gone to Auschwitz was life changing. I wish more people could experience it.
Been to Dachau ... it was kinda hollowed out though..Ill be in krakow this summer still debating if I should drive out to Auschwitz when im there... we shall see
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 10:44 PM
 
3,000 posts, read 1,256,727 times
Reputation: 8010
The tour includes Auschwitz and Bierkinwald. I had a panic attack and took off my coat and sweater until I only had a tank top on and stuck my head out of a window to breathe but I was determined to finish the tour. Be sure and see the salt mines which are full of statues and chapels carved out of salt by the miners when not working. Also the town square is awesome with restaurants, shopping and a beautiful church. Kraków is one of my favorite cities and I have been there twice. Poland is very cheap as their money is 3/4 of ours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2020, 09:32 AM
 
6,169 posts, read 3,361,654 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The tour includes Auschwitz and Bierkinwald. I had a panic attack and took off my coat and sweater until I only had a tank top on and stuck my head out of a window to breathe but I was determined to finish the tour. Be sure and see the salt mines which are full of statues and chapels carved out of salt by the miners when not working. Also the town square is awesome with restaurants, shopping and a beautiful church. Kraków is one of my favorite cities and I have been there twice. Poland is very cheap as their money is 3/4 of ours.
I’ll check it out. Yeah I’ve been to Poland before . Not krakow but one of my business associates from Hungary wants to meet up somewhere in June and we were thinking krakow . I’m gonna be in Lithuania and was going to drive but I think I’ll just fly to Kaunas cause I’m not in the mood to drive 8 hours through Poland lol . Thanks for the info .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 07:54 PM
 
12,128 posts, read 10,999,647 times
Reputation: 15889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Having gone to Auschwitz was life changing. I wish more people could experience it.
Maybe they should have obliged all Germans to experience it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 08:10 PM
 
Location: California
2,076 posts, read 747,344 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
After all the decades of silence, it was nice for them that the subject moved to the fore, even if a half-century after the fact.


At Auschwitz, Survivors Plead ‘Never Forget’
“I feel uplifted when I see so many of you here who will carry the memory of innocent people from all nations of the world who met their death here,” she said, her voice often cracking with emotion. “You will make sure that those horrors are never repeated. I’m sorry, I apologize for the emotions.”
Fifteen years ago, some 1,500 survivors attended the anniversary event. This year, there were about 200, and, for many, it is likely to be their last visit.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...tW9?li=BBnb4R5
Imagine being a survivor and taking this tour . OMG! The emotion, anguish, floods of memories. I may do it once just so I could walk in and know I could leave, but once would be enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 PM
 
12,128 posts, read 10,999,647 times
Reputation: 15889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Imagine being a survivor and taking this tour . OMG! The emotion, anguish, floods of memories. I may do it once just so I could walk in and know I could leave, but once would be enough.
Coincidentally, an acquaintance just showed me a flier for a tour that includes a trip to both Auschwitz and Theresienstadt concentration camps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top