Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:50 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share some of the footage I took when I was in Lithuania this past summer. My wife is from Kaunas and we visit Lithuania every couple years.

Took this footage in Klaipeda (memel) It consists of German Grave Sites from World War II (during the October Campaign of 1944 . and World War I....

Theres around 5000+ soldiers buried here. I also took some footage of Bunkers that are on the beach...

There is also a video of the town square where Hitler came to Memel and did his speech to convince Lithuania to return (memel) Klaipeda back to Germany.

I have tons of more footage but this is what I put up so far. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpo9ia6fLrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmVE1jwqxzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV38FNna8vI

German Bunkers in Klaipeda....sadly they are sinking into the Baltic....they were hard for us to find.. Luckily my wife still speaks Lithuanian lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uio1bUh4aTk&t=228s

Town Square where Hitler did his speech prior to WWII...Very nice, and untouched from the war. The video below is footage of Hitler doing his speech in the Same area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COtlnjlzR6U

IF you go to 3:28 ... this is where Hitler Did his speech in the town square.... The entire area remains unchanged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msR2XLuvcro&t=30s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 10:26 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
OK...Here are a couple snaps of a Flaktower at the MAK (now Cat) works in Kiel. Went there a awhile back.....German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-flaktowewr.jpg

German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-flak2.jpg

German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-flak3.jpg

Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK...Here are a couple snaps of a Flaktower at the MAK (now Cat) works in Kiel. Went there a awhile back.....Attachment 206099

Attachment 206100

Attachment 206101
Amazing! Those Flak towers were built to last! I love going into the old structures from the war. So much History.

We went inside the FLAK towers in Berlin... Still standing... one of them the french tried blowing up and it was so thick...it barely did a dent....

During the Battle of Berlin. The Russians tried pumping artillery shells in them and nothing phased them.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Amazing! Those Flak towers were built to last! I love going into the old structures from the war. So much History.

We went inside the FLAK towers in Berlin... Still standing... one of them the french tried blowing up and it was so thick...it barely did a dent....

During the Battle of Berlin. The Russians tried pumping artillery shells in them and nothing phased them.
Yes. They were nearly indestructible. Would have probably take a Hiroshima type atomic bomb to completely destroy them. During the Battle of Berlin they had a dual purpose both as a platform for anti aircraft fire and as a very effective bomb shelter for hundreds of Berliners.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:39 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
another one from kiel. This is used as a office I think. Also had a backstage visit to Peenamunde which was quite cool.
The box car was in the backlot at MAK as well. Kind of creepy.....

German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-boxcar.jpg

German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-blast.jpg

German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-kiel.jpg

German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-kiel2.jpg

German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-v2.jpg

Old 12-24-2018, 06:58 AM

I took these photos in Kaunas, Lithuania. After the germans invaded Kaunas in the Russian Campaign. They used the 9th fort as one of the first concentration camps on the eastern front. The Fort is a series of forts built in WWI to protect the city from invasion.

The NAZIS arrested political prisoners from Paris,Berlin,Munich, Frankfurt and Jews from Kaunas ( and other parts of europe ) then sent them to this fort (in 1941). They were killed and all burned here.

Theres about 50,000 k people buried here. The Russian stone stands about 3-4 stories tall .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_..._November_1941
Attached Thumbnails
German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-kaunas4.jpg   German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-kaunas5.jpg   German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-kaunas3.jpg   German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-kaunas2.jpg   German World War I and II Bunkers & Cemetery Historical Video Footage I took In Lithuania This Summer-kaunas.jpg  

Old 12-24-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
another one from kiel. This is used as a office I think. Also had a backstage visit to Peenamunde which was quite cool.
The box car was in the backlot at MAK as well. Kind of creepy.....

Attachment 206115

Attachment 206116

Attachment 206117

Attachment 206118

Attachment 206119

Wish we headed more north when we were in Germany. We ended up going south toward munich. We did see the Wolfs Lair and SS headuarters/bunker in Berchesgdan . Then we went to Nuremberg and seen the Nazi rally grounds which was really cool. Albert speer was a good architect.

I noticed the v2 rocket. They have the entire launchpad in England for the V1. I have video of that also but have to edit it.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:53 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
OK...Here are a couple snaps of a Flaktower at the MAK (now Cat) works in Kiel. Went there a awhile back.....Attachment 206099

Attachment 206100

Attachment 206101
What do you mean, "at the MAK (now Cat)"?? Just curious. Also, do you know what the German inscription is that is written on the flak tower wall? I wonder how many of these flak towers remain around Berlin and what they are used for, if anything.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What do you mean, "at the MAK (now Cat)"?? Just curious. Also, do you know what the German inscription is that is written on the flak tower wall? I wonder how many of these flak towers remain around Berlin and what they are used for, if anything.
I have been to the Flak tower in Berlin. Across the street theres a tour you can take ..website below. We went underneath into the bunkers used by the Berliners during the war... It was quite an experience. The FLAK tower is across the street and is a park. You can climb to the top. We also went inside with the tour which was real cool. Theres some homeless people that sleep around it but the area its in is really different than other parts of Berlin. It has a very high population of middle easterners. I suggest you go on the tour if your ever in Berlin.I have some photos but would have to dig them up. They didnt let us take photos inside because of the phospharus walls.

https://www.berliner-unterwelten.de/en.html

Old 12-24-2018, 10:20 AM

FLAK tower tour is here

https://www.berliner-unterwelten.de/...of-debris.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History