Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 10:59 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
America is a distinct culture. Is that the same as an ethnicity? I don't know, you tell me. Does it really matter?
Yes, it is the same according to the dictionary definition previously posted. People are confusing ethnicity and genetics. In my opinion there is such a thing as an American ethnicity. When I come across a fellow American in a foreign country I generally find that I have more in common with him than with them, even if we would have felt little or nothing in common if we had met in the U. S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 11:50 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
American people mostly share the same culture, language, mentality and values. This makes "American" an ethnicity in my opinion. So, what kind of ethnicity American is? Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, Mediterranean, etc?
That is arguable.

I ,a Jersey girl,do not share much in common with someone who lives in Oklahoma,Alabama,or Oregon.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:45 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
IMO, The US is too heterogeneous for a true common "ethnicity."

To oversimplify, 50-60 years ago there were three primary "ethnic groups"
1) WASPs- northern European protestants who had been in the country for many generations. Wide variation in social class, but WASP dominated positions of power. Possibly divided between northern "mainline" protestants and southern baptists/evangelicals.
2) (various) Ethnic whites- southern/eastern europe catholics/jews whose ancestors arrived between 1880s-1920s. Generally blue collar and under-represented in positions of power. Concentrated in the northern industrial cities.
3) African-Americans- descents from slaves who were kept sharpy segregated from white Americans.

Today, I would say the main "ethnic groups" are:
1) white Americans- Intermarriage/assimilation/secularization has largely diminished the WASP/white ethnic distinction. Jews may arguably remain a somewhat distinct subgroup.
2) (various) non-European ethnic groups- these various nation of origin based groups are arguably converging into pan-national "Latino", Muslim, Asian, and maybe a South Asian ethnic groups.
3) African-Americans- African-Americans are less segregated than in the past. But, far from integrated. Afro-Caribbeans, African immigrants straddle lines between groups 2 and 3.

Intermarriage/assimilation is chipping away at these distinctions. But, contiguous immigration, inter-ethnic socioeconomic gaps, and bigger differences in culture/religion/physical appearance may prevent a common "American" ethnicity from forming.

Last edited by jpdivola; 02-26-2020 at 01:05 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 01:06 AM

74 posts, read 51,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
The US is too heterogeneous for a common "ethnicity."

To oversimplify, 50-60 years ago there were three main "ethnic groups"
1) WASPs- northern European protestants who had been in the country for many generations. There was wide variation in socioeconomic status, but WASP dominated positions of power. Possibly divided between northern "mainline" protestants and southern baptists/evangelicals.
2) (various) Ethnic whites- generally southern/eastern europe catholics/jews whose ancestors arrived between 1880s-1920s. Generally blue collar and under-represented in positions of power. Heavily concentrated in the northern industrial cities.
3) African-Americans- descents from slaves who were kept sharpy segregated from white Americans.

Today, I would say the main "ethnic groups" are:
1) white Americans- Intermarriage/assimilation/secularization has largely diminished the WASP/white ethnic distinction. Jews may arguably remain a somewhat distinct subgroup.
2) (various) non-European ethnic groups- these various nation of origin based groups are arguably converging into pan-national "Latino", Muslim, Asian, and maybe a South Asian ethnic groups.
3) African-Americans- African-Americans are less segregated than in the past. But, far from integrated. Afro-Caribbeans, African immigrants straddle lines between groups 2 and 3.

Intermarriage/assimilation is chipping away at these distinctions. But, contiguous immigration, inter-ethnic socioeconomic gaps, and bigger differences in culture/religion/physical appearance may prevent a common "American" ethnicity from forming.
What about the people who identify as ethnically American?

Old 02-26-2020, 05:31 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That is arguable.

I ,a Jersey girl,do not share much in common with someone who lives in Oklahoma,Alabama,or Oregon.

Being on the inside, you can see the subtle differences among us, but those on the outside generalize: "They" all look alike, but "We" all have individual differences.

Stew has a distinctive taste, but the individual components (peas, carrots, potatoes, beef, etc) are all readily identifiable. We're a stew, not a melting pot that has turned us into a single alloy.

If you've ever spent any time in a foreign country dealing with every day life (not as a tourist) our distinctive American culture (attitudes, expectations, way of thinking, work ethic, not to mention traditions) would have become obvious.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:18 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
There is only one "ethnicity", Homo sapiens. We are all more alike genetically than we are different.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
There is only one "ethnicity", Homo sapiens. We are all more alike genetically than we are different.
Homo sapiens is a species, not an ethnicity.

Ethnicity refers to cultural mores and identity, not biology.

ethnicity, n. the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:38 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Visiting here in Spain, we are often mistaken for British lol. That is a surprise. I thought our trademark cargo pants were a dead giveaway. Not that many American tourists in this part, I guess.

I have often wondered what facial features differentiate Americans from white Europeans. There is something but what?

Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You are talking about "race" not "ethnicity" I think. Ethnicity is about cultural identity. Race is more about biological similarities (although both sort of overlap). But even with race indeed you are right. There is really no test on earth that can determine what race a person is.
There is also "nationality", which again people are confusing this concept with.

When it comes down to it, ethnicity is whatever one wants it to be. For "American" ethnicity I agree with another poster that the population of the US is too diverse to label. Plus it enable a person to claim a more individual identity (and individualism is in the nature of Americans) than simply American. Thus one doesn't become simply "American" like 250 million others, but "Polish/Irish-American" to stand out from the crowd.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Visiting here in Spain, we are often mistaken for British lol. That is a surprise. I thought our trademark cargo pants were a dead giveaway. Not that many American tourists in this part, I guess.

I have often wondered what facial features differentiate Americans from white Europeans. There is something but what?
From British? Maybe teeth that are straight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History