Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 774 times

Advertisements

Until mid-60s, right-wing deem to dominate in the west.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:45 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
In the 1964 election, Lyndon Johnson clobbered the conservative Barry Goldwater by a vote of 486 to 52 in the electoral college. There were 63 Democrats to 33 Republicans in the Senate and 258 Democrats in The House to 176 Republicans.

All of this took place before Vietnam became a large issue.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddock View Post
I don't know where to start, your premise is totally wrong. Maybe I don't understand the question. Some clarification:

1.) If you are defining this by Democrat vs. Republican party, "left-wing" has not dominated politics in the last half a century. It seems still fairly even in terms of control and also voter registration.
2.) Politics has changed however, mostly due to shifting demographic and some policy swings. The south in particularly has changed from Democratic supporting to Republican. It has nothing to do with Vietnam.
3.) Why would the conflict in Vietnam result in left-wing (democrat party?) domination when the war itself was escalated under a democrat party administration (Kennedy and Johnson)?

Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't know where to start, your premise is totally wrong. Maybe I don't understand the question. Some clarification:

1.) If you are defining this by Democrat vs. Republican party, "left-wing" has not dominated politics in the last half a century. It seems still fairly even in terms of control and also voter registration.
2.) Politics has changed however, mostly due to shifting demographic and some policy swings. The south in particularly has changed from Democratic supporting to Republican. It has nothing to do with Vietnam.
3.) Why would the conflict in Vietnam result in left-wing (democrat party?) domination when the war itself was escalated under a democrat party administration (Kennedy and Johnson)?
I'm guessing by the fact that it is their first post, they offered no points to back up their theory, and it wasn't even written in a complete sentence, that it is a troll post.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
You could be right it would appear that that is when we began to question authority figures but I feel the mutation of the civil rights movement into a social status based entitlement movement -was also a big factor

Old 03-02-2020, 10:37 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
More to it than that. JFK assassination led to a national depression. Depression was lifted by the Beatles arrival in the US 3 months later. People started feeling good again. The counter culture took wing. Young people started to rebel against the more conservative culture. Guys grew their hair, girls wore mini skirts, the sexual revolution was launched, kids started experimenting with drugs. Then the Vietnam War threatened those young men with being sent to war, and the Peace movement erupted. At the time, long hair, the peace sign, drugs, sex and rock and roll were all a package that many young people subscribed to. This was probably the birth of the new left. Many boomers maintained those values the rest of their lives, and passed those values on to their children and teachers passed those values on to their students... anti war, anti war on drugs, anti poverty, freedom of choice, sex without marriage, anti organized religion, anti discrimination. Many of those values have become mainstream. Certain people try to paint them as radical ideas, but the truth is they are tame compared to the social revolution of the 60's. It had nothing to do with Democrats vs. Republicans. It was, and still is an issue of establishment vs. anti establishment. The establishment being those in power, the wealthy, the people whom the system is rigged to protect and keep in power. Anti-establishment being those who recognize the hypocrisy and corruption of the establishment.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'm guessing by the fact that it is their first post, they offered no points to back up their theory, and it wasn't even written in a complete sentence, that it is a troll post.
It might be someone from outside the US, like a translation issue. I thought the use of the word "deem" was strange. The most frustrating thing, even if it isn't a troll, is these posters with one post never seem to return to follow-up.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:32 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It might be someone from outside the US, like a translation issue. I thought the use of the word "deem" was strange. .
D and S next to one another on keyboard. You made a great response.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:02 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Judge Robert Bork points out in his book Slouching Toward Gomorrah that in World War I we had a "singing army". By World War II the U.S. famously had a "wisecracking army". His point was that the culture had already changed between 1917 and 1942.

What caused it? Was is the Model T? Prohibition? Lucky Lindy? The Great Depression? Talkies? All of the above?

Old 03-02-2020, 06:18 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddock View Post
It was the murder of Kennedy that finally put the Left in charge of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History