U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 09:07 AM

23,439 posts, read 13,497,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I recall the 2008 survey but it wasn't a majority, and the survey was later criticised with a Freedom of information (FOI) request revealing use of PR-commissioned opinion polls and lack of any concrete research.

The poll was by a hotel group called Premier Inn, which used it to suggest historical ignorance was something that "can be rectified by visiting all the fantastic landmarks and places of interest the UK has to offer" by visiting their hotels, and there was also an article in the London Mums magazine.

Proper research could not be presented nor could any evidence to support the poll and the polls were not commissioned by professional polling companies, nor did they meet the standards of the British Polling Council.

It should be noted it;s very easy to manipulate polls in order to try and encourage hotel bookings or to promote and advertise.

Gove's claims of teenagers' ignorance harpooned by retired techer - The Guardian

Ah, well, I was quoting a member of parliament:

"Survey after survey has revealed disturbing historical ignorance, with one teenager in five believing Winston Churchill was a fictional character while 58% think Sherlock Holmes was real."

I guess UK politicians also prevaricate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 09:12 AM

36,671 posts, read 47,460,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would reorganize history instruction.

History is taught in most places as a disjointed set of vignettes.

I would teach history with long-term themes, such as the long term theme of European peasant emancipation that started with the Reformation and continues to this day. The English civil war would fit into that unit, along with the other wars and revolts I mentioned.

History as a subject in primary and secondary education is terribly disorganized and leaves most students with no sense of how history progressed. One year you study American history, another year world history, and then you study American history again with a lot of repeats, etc.

In the current system, the related events of the English civil war and the American revolution would probably be taught in different years, with different teachers, and maybe out of order.

History curricula are designed more as propaganda for various viewpoints (traditional American civics, post-modern revisions, etc.) than as actual efforts to understand history.
Both World History and then European History switched to that a bout 20 or so years ago. It was a disaster, especially in World.

You talk about "disjointed", that method made the disjoint worse. You hopped from English peasants to Chinese peasants to Russian peasants. Then "Revolutionary Movements" jumped from Hammurabi to Greece and Rome to the Magna Carta to the English Revolution to the Declaration of Independence.

World has been reorganized, again, the last few years to include no more than 20% European topics. The stress now is on, in order, Africa, Asia (primarily China and India) and Mesoamerica.

One of the problems in teaching US, the philosophical underpinnings, is that early US has been pushed down to middle school where most of the kids aren't academically prepared or cognitively sophisticated enough to understand Locke, Rosseau and Montesquieu.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History