Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 11:27 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about people like Ben Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Sam Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, etc.; people who made monumental impact in the country's history.

Who in today's America might attain same stature in the 22nd century? Or if no one, why might that be, considering there were so many around 1776?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 06:23 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
The country was only created once, so the founding fathers will always be considered more prominent because of their role during that time. It's like people will always associate Steve Jobs and Bill Gates as the geniuses who started Apple and Microsoft, even though they have been replaced by people who might be equally smart and innovative.

I have my ideas about who will be most talked about in the history books of the future for their impact today, but to do so would get this thread moved immediately to the politics forum.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I'm talking about people like Ben Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Sam Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, etc.; people who made monumental impact in the country's history.

Who in today's America might attain same stature in the 22nd century? Or if no one, why might that be, considering there were so many around 1776?
I have always believed that its the times that make people. When challenging circumstances are present many people are able to rise to the challenge. In more placid times, these people are generally pursuing personal and family interests. We have plenty of talented people in America.

In short, if a war or crisis were present, people you have never heard of would emerge and deal effectively with the problems of the day.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:

We can't really discuss modern politics here but a simple answer - none today in politics.
These people were visionaries more than politicians. They rose to the occasion to fit a need - to create a more perfect union. Basically from a clean slate - to create a government of the people. Those needs don't exist today in modern politics.
Of course, visionaries still exist today, but most of them are in private enterprise or working in giant think tanks. Entrepreneurs, scientists, etc. Lincoln perhaps I see as the last true great visionary working in politics. Again, he rose to the need.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
The founders deserve great credit for the successful revolution, and for the writing of the US Constitution. That does not mean that they were all altruists with no self gain in mind. Keep in mind that the reasons for the revolution were not initially to create a utopian government, rather it was to avoid being taxed, and it was to open up the lands east of the Appalachians which the British had declared a native sanctuary and prohibited its exploitation by the colonists. It is not at all untrue to say that some of the revolutionaries were fighting for the right to enrich themselves by displacing those native tribes and taking their lands. Some were fighting because the Brits had clamped down on the lucrative smuggling operations which flaunted British taxes and laws.

In the final complaint against King George listed in the Declaration of Independence, we find:
Quote:
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
The "domestic insurrections" was a specific reference to the colonial governor of Virginia, Lord Dunmore, and his proclamation that any slaves who escaped from their masters, would be welcomed to British protection if they were willing to bear arms on behalf of the Crown. The Virginian response was to form militias specifically charged with patrolling the country and capturing any slaves attempting to respond to Dunmore's offer. One of the most effective of these groups of slave catchers was led by Patrick Henry of "liberty or death" fame.

These were human beings and in any gathering of humans, be it lawyers, doctors, brick masons or stable hands, you will find some admirable people with idealistic frames of mind, some who are partly idealistic and partly looking after their own concerns, and some who were only looking after their own concerns.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:42 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Do we have founding fathers-quality people today?

Yes, but I didn't qualify for a life in politics....My parents were married, you see.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:01 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
I don't know about 'renaissance men' as we lucked out with at that point in history but I think their are some young people who could do a job if they can be kept from the big money interests trying to compromise / influence them.

My current congressman would be a great candidate in another 6-10 years, Heck, I'm tempted to write him in as President in 2020 after listening to him talk about issues.

https://anthonygonzalez.house.gov/

I've also met a young woman involved in foundation work who really has her act together and would be a great candidate in 10-15 years as such a leader if that was her interest.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:23 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
No we don't have polymaths and autodidacts like existed back then. Knowledge is so complex now compared to then that you need about 20 years of formal study (including primary and secondary basic skills) to become an expert in a subject. This necessitates specialization such that no one person can have a mastery of many topics like the Founding Fathers. We compensate with better communication and collaboration tools.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:33 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
IOr if no one, why might that be, considering there were so many around 1776?
My opinion, it was a dramatic time (& place) in history.. that tested and elicited the genius of the American population. Currently we're not having that kind of dramatic test/challenge (forming/solidifying a new country). And our stock of innate genius has probably declined anyways, even if it is/was to be similarly tested.

It was just one of those things, the American Revolution had a unique, motivated concentration of talent.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:08 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
The Founding Fathers were guided by Enlightenment principles, which came to the fore in the aftermath of two centuries of religious wars. So there was a keen interest in the time for deciding and establishing a government that would ultimately deliver the most material happiness to the people while simultaneously delivering the highest degree of freedom.

But the Founding Fathers were also flawed men in many ways. I've always said that John Adams, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison would never stand up to the 24/7 media scrutiny that follows candidates today.

It says a great deal that the Lincoln Douglas debates went on for hours. Today, we have three-minute answers where the only thing that matters is offering up glib sound bites.

So as a result of television, we don't have politicians or statesmen, we have glorified game show hosts. Men and women with perfect hair, gleaming teeth, and flawless attire, but are empty on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History