U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 10:26 AM

394 posts, read 257,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Because NY was an immigration port and Bawstun wasn't. Immigrants, especially steerage class, couldn't just disembark anywhere. Ellis Island was, from 1880 to 1920 or so, the only immigrant processing center in the Northeast.

(Simplified; immigrants could come in elsewhere but were not welcome/accommodated en masse.)
Years ago immigrants coming into Boston needed
a sponsor, a way to support themselves (work), needed to meet all health precautions, have no criminal record.

Not meetjng these requisites meant being shipped back to where they came from. Likewise, a sponsor could be sent back too if the immigrant violated any of these requisites during their citizenship probationary period.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 11:41 AM

3,654 posts, read 1,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You can also go back to their colonial origins. The Dutch created what became New York as an international trading center, and it has always been a diverse crossroad. Massachusetts was founded by the Puritans who initially only wanted to welcome other Puritans. It was a far more cloistered place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
a sponsor, a way to support themselves (work), needed to meet all health precautions, have no criminal record.

Not meetjng these requisites meant being shipped back to where they came from. Likewise, a sponsor could be sent back too if the immigrant violated any of these requisites during their citizenship probationary period.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:47 AM

11,330 posts, read 10,094,882 times
Look at the top five cities in 1790. Philly was bigger than Boston at the time.

Charleston, SC had a better harbor.

It's all relative.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:53 PM

23,112 posts, read 22,174,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post

Didn't the Ellis Island immigrants need a sponsor and a job? I don't know. Sponsorship was required for my husband 12 years ago.

My grandfather came in through Boston in 1911. He had a sponsor and a job to go to. A year later he sent for my grandmother and the kids. They came third class (steerage?) I don't know why they came in through Boston but I think his first job may have been in southern New Hampshire, obviously in some sort of mill, and that's a lot closer to Boston than it is to NYC.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:50 PM

5,510 posts, read 5,056,099 times
It's the economy, stupid.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:13 AM

10,189 posts, read 8,516,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It was also on the coast. It had a harbor and geographically, it was closer to the shipping route from Europe. Why did immigrants end up going to New York instead of Boston?
They did. Boston has a lot of Irish, Italians etc etc. Rhode Island got a lot of Lusaphones from Azores.

But NYC had Ellis Island which is the processing center. So naturally more people closer to the point of entry. Just like why there are more Mexicans living near the border.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:43 AM

2,527 posts, read 1,311,646 times
Ellis Island opened in 1892 and was basically the east cost processing center. From there many went elsewhere not just NY. Prior to that many Irish immigrated during the potato famine to the Boston, New Hampshire and Vermont areas. I don't know where you are getting the idea that immigrants didn't come to Boston. In the mid 1800's Wisconsin advertised for immigrants not only in the Boston area but in Ireland and a brother of my great great grandmother took them up on their offer. Immigrants went wherever there was opportunity but beginning in 1892 they had to go through Ellis Island first. My German grandfather came through Ellis Island and ports in California many times before he settled in Boston and met my grandmother. So yeah they did come to Boston. Also, many Germans settled in Nova Scotia in the 1800's.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:21 PM

23,112 posts, read 22,174,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Ellis Island opened in 1892 and was basically the east cost processing center. From there many went elsewhere not just NY. Prior to that many Irish immigrated during the potato famine to the Boston, New Hampshire and Vermont areas. I don't know where you are getting the idea that immigrants didn't come to Boston. In the mid 1800's Wisconsin advertised for immigrants not only in the Boston area but in Ireland and a brother of my great great grandmother took them up on their offer. Immigrants went wherever there was opportunity but beginning in 1892 they had to go through Ellis Island first. My German grandfather came through Ellis Island and ports in California many times before he settled in Boston and met my grandmother. So yeah they did come to Boston. Also, many Germans settled in Nova Scotia in the 1800's.
Yes, back then the sponsor was usually an employer. America was booming with industry and needed factory workers so the companies would advertise overseas. I know my grandfather saw a sign posted in England by some company in the US. Probably the company even paid for his transportation to get here but they definitely sponsored him. I went to the National Archives to look for his papers but it turned out that he hadn't come through Ellis Island at all. He had come in through Boston and Boston is where I found his records.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:35 AM

24,854 posts, read 17,437,676 times
Quote:
It was also on the coast. It had a harbor and geographically, it was closer to the shipping route from Europe. Why did immigrants end up going to New York instead of Boston?
Boston did very well immigration from Europe wise from late 1800's through early 1900's. Three main groups were Irish, Italians and Jews (mostly but not exclusively Eastern European)

A few events in early 20th century served to but the kibosh on more immigration and or also encouraged people to choose elsewhere upon arrival in USA.

Boston and Massechuttes in general suffered decline in economy sometime after 1910 and things only got worse with arrival of Great Depression. Manufacturing, textiles, etc.. all sorts of industry shut down and or moved. That left people without work, and word travels fast.

https://globalboston.bc.edu/index.ph...n/test-page-2/

https://immigrationtounitedstates.org/387-boston.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...cans_in_Boston

https://brewminate.com/a-history-of-...ps-and-places/

New York City in comparison is part of a tri-state economy that includes New Jersey, Connecticut, and Long Island. Factory, garment trade and other sorts of unskilled labor were needed even during Great Depression then came run up to WWI which had everything firing on all cylinders.

Plus once someone arrived in NYC from Europe they could continue either upstate (Buffalo and other upstate areas acquired large Italian, Irish and other European populations). Or take ferry right over to New Jersey and settle there or keep on moving to PA or points west or south.

New England economies never really recovered from loss of textile and other manufacturing. Most have since diversified into other areas (Boston and surrounding is big with finance, healthcare, higher education, etc..), but that doesn't help unskilled labor much.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:16 AM

20,784 posts, read 26,065,089 times
Quote:
Many immigrants actually did go to Boston. There is a large,Irish, Italian, Portuguese, Eastern European Jewish, Greek and Polish presence in Massachusetts. There are not as many Scandinavians and Germans in New England as there are in NY and the Midwest. Portugal seems to be over represented.

Obviously, the majority of the immigrants who arrived during the height of the European Migration came thru the NY port and Ellis Island. Once they arrived there, not all settled in NYC.

Many went to Pennsylvania, especially for coal mining jobs, further west, to industrial cities such as Buffalo NY, Utica NY, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Akron/Canton, and other Ohio cities, and of course, Chicago. Minneapolis/ St. Paul.
Others went "south" to industrial NJ cities - Paterson, Newark, Camden etc. Still others, to places such as Baltimore.

Boston, being North and East of most of actually *most* of the United States is a bit tucked away, by virtue of geography. Massachusetts and New England in general, had a demand for immigrants to work in the textile mills, as domestics, and as hospital workers.

What Boston and the surrounding area has that NY does not, is a large percentage of French emigres. I am not certain if most came directly from France, or if more were French Canadian transplants.

Massachusetts as a state, has one of the largest population of Eastern European Jews in the country. They obviously did not arrive with the Pilgrims.

The strife between the newer migrants and the "Boston Brahmans" - the older Yankee blue bloods, is well documented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History