Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 08:13 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

For the first time in years I just again watched "Gandhi" starring Ben Kingsley.

After watching it I had the impression that maybe Gandhi liked the limelight a bit too much? Made it more about him than it should have been.

I'm not questioning his goals or the need to get the British out of India. Nor am I questioning his ultimate success. But after watching the film again after all these years I remember wondering the same the first time I saw the film upon its release.

Just curious what some of you think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Well, getting media attention to one's cause, and to one's protests on behalf of the cause, is one way of getting things done, no? I think he was a very savvy guy.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:37 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
For the first time in years I just again watched "Gandhi" starring Ben Kingsley.

After watching it I had the impression that maybe Gandhi liked the limelight a bit too much? Made it more about him than it should have been.

I'm not questioning his goals or the need to get the British out of India. Nor am I questioning his ultimate success. But after watching the film again after all these years I remember wondering the same the first time I saw the film upon its release.

I think its a reasonable question. One of Gandhi's most formidable opponents, Muslim leader Muhammad Ali Jinnah summed Gandhi up in just two words: Wily Gandhi.

No one should forget in Gandhi's early life he was a British educated barrister. He enjoyed success in that field in South Africa where he first developed his tactics of protesting and non-violent resistance to oppression.

I think he did enjoy the limelight and his decisions to dress like a native Indian, eat a vegetarian diet, and even clean his own toilet were motivated by a desire to gain attention as well as they were to "fit in" with average Indians as much as possible.

What made Gandhi and his tactics effective was an ability to perceive how his opponents would react to them. I give him an A for "strategic thinking".

Almost everyone likes attention. Gandhi was probably no less guilty of it than anyone else was.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:14 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think its a reasonable question. One of Gandhi's most formidable opponents, Muslim leader Muhammad Ali Jinnah summed Gandhi up in just two words: Wily Gandhi.

No one should forget in Gandhi's early life he was a British educated barrister. He enjoyed success in that field in South Africa where he first developed his tactics of protesting and non-violent resistance to oppression.

I think he did enjoy the limelight and his decisions to dress like a native Indian, eat a vegetarian diet, and even clean his own toilet were motivated by a desire to gain attention as well as they were to "fit in" with average Indians as much as possible.

What made Gandhi and his tactics effective was an ability to perceive how his opponents would react to them. I give him an A for "strategic thinking".

Almost everyone likes attention. Gandhi was probably no less guilty of it than anyone else was.
But the attracting of attention had a goal; it was to further his cause. Dressing like a native Indian, cleaning his own toilet, etc. were highly symbolic acts that sent strong messages. He knew exactly what he was doing, and why he was doing it. It was all highly strategic, and it worked! That's the main thing, IMO. The question of whether he was ego-involved in it all, or did these things only with his selfless goals in mind is a secondary concern. Does it even matter?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:

" a prophet is without honor in his own house".

They threw the brits out but the brits got the recipes for curry first.
Mission accomplished.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:18 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But the attracting of attention had a goal; it was to further his cause. Dressing like a native Indian, cleaning his own toilet, etc. were highly symbolic acts that sent strong messages. He knew exactly what he was doing, and why he was doing it. It was all highly strategic, and it worked! That's the main thing, IMO. The question of whether he was ego-involved in it all, or did these things only with his selfless goals in mind is a secondary concern. Does it even matter?
Yes, I think motive (and there may be more than one motive) matters.
I thought this was an interesting article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31847578

Old 02-21-2020, 07:35 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:

Two things occur to me:

He seems like a shrewd guy, in his way, and likely knew that the route to success was getting in the news.

What would make it "too much"? Wallflowers don't tend to be successful movers-and-shakers.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:16 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
MLK wisely did the same thing. He knew the power of the images hitting our tv screens. The beatings, dogs, water cannon etc. was something that couldn`t be ignored.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:37 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Sociopaths and psychopaths dominate the world stage. They have single-mindedness in pursuit of their goals that by definition is not gonna win them Mr. Nice Guy awards. There can be benign sociopaths, Mother Teresa was perhaps one. You can always find some "fault" they had but looking at the sum total of their achievements you'd have to say we need as many "good" sociopaths as possible.

Ghandi did not treat women very well. Does that make him bad? Or simply a product of his time and country?
He achieved tremendous things.

Joan of Arc was accused of egocentrism because she said God talked to her and told her what rulers should be doing. Priests and kings didn't like that God talked to her and not them and she was made an example.
At least Ghandi was not assassinated. Oh wait he was. For advocating unity between India's Hindus and Muslims.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:58 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

LOL."like" a native Indian? He was native Indian, how else will he dress? His tradition was strict vegetarianism, how else will he eat? He was furthering social reform in a country that was deep into caste conciousness, and he wanted to show work has no caste, because he was leader, people listened to him. Yes, he wanted people to pay attention to wearing hand woven cloth as a protest to British imperialism, and to promote home industry such as weaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History