Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:21 AM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
May I ask what you mean by or not ?
It means we don't need another thread about labor unions unless a genuinely different topic arises.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 AM

297 posts, read 177,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It means we don't need another thread about labor unions unless a genuinely different topic arises.

Ah I see , thanks for the answer !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 11:11 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
It's rather well known that organized crime groups in the United States , Canada , Japan , and ( in a sense anyways ) even in Australia have been very much active in the field of labor racketeering ...

The same does not apply to the Europe , however and it seems rather perplexing in the case of Western European countries besides Italy ...

The explanation for why that hasn't been the case in Eastern Europe is rather simple , what with the region having been too agrarian in the pre communist era to have formed proper labor unions that could have been exploited by gangsters , not to mention that in the post communist era the region very much slid into a rather aggressive form of neoliberal capitalism that made the formation of proper unions once again very impractical and thus not fit for exploiting by the gangster element ...

In the case of Italy the explanation ( IMHO ) is twofold with the reasons being that labor unions over there were traditionally very much concentrated in the north of the country , which to this day obviously has little organized crime influence compared to the south , not to mention that the Communist influence was fairly strong withing Italian labor unions during the Cold War era which naturally put them at odds with the various mafias which were generally connected to the Christian Democrats ...

However the reasons as to why ( say ) gangsters in the UK never entered the realm of labor racketeering are quite baffling to me . After all the UK had a fairly strong trade union movement that wasn't nearly as Communist influenced as its Italian counterpart ( rendering the political party rivalry aspect that applied in Italy meaningless ) , not to mention that the UK had fairly strong organized crime outfits active throughout the country from London to Newcastle most of which happened to be originate from working class environments which could have made infiltration of British trade unions quite easy ...

The same applies to all advanced industrial Western European nations ( like the Netherlands ) as well IMO , so I hope this post will kick off a great discussion .
Corbyn, who recently lost to Johnson in the UK election is an avowed communist.
The mob finds it more difficult in the UK , there are less loopholes for them to exploit in the law.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:37 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Certain articles such as this one ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_..._United_States ) make that claim , which is why I'm curious of the opinions of other more learned members of this forum .
I say Russia around the turn of 1900s. The Russian Civil War just Workers fighting everyone and each other.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:42 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Your question assumes that there is wide knowledge and understanding of labor conflicts on a global scale. That is not likely, but there is considerable documentation of labor conflicts in the US which might make it stand out. You might also view https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti..._United_States

I recently visited the site of the Ludlow Massacre and explored the associated Colorado coal fields war which might serve as an interesting example. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Coalfield_War
It does not state so much in the wiki articles, but from what I understand is these incidences also have a ethnic tension flavor to them. Most of the miners were poor migrants from Europe like Greece. One of the major leaders of the strikers is a Greek Louis Tikas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Tikas

Old 04-04-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
FWIW would it be appropriate of me to ask if this thread ( https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...er-really.html ) could be merged into this one ?

Or is that something best suited for a DM ?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 AM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
FWIW would it be appropriate of me to ask if this thread ( https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...er-really.html ) could be merged into this one ?

Or is that something best suited for a DM ?
I did that, but yes, you should ask via a DM. BTW, have you studied history, or are you coming here to do so?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I did that, but yes, you should ask via a DM. BTW, have you studied history, or are you coming here to do so?

Ah I see thanks for the clarification ...

As for having studied history , I haven't done so in the proper sense since I finished high school , but I do have an interest in the subject which naturally leads me to read about when I have then time and/or inclination ...

FWIW I prefer starting up threads concerning subjects that I could learn more about , hence all the ones concerning American history as opposed to ( f.ex ) Hungarian history , because learning about things I don't know that much about has always been more fun for me than expounding on ones I'm quite familiar with .

Old 04-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Corbyn, who recently lost to Johnson in the UK election is an avowed communist.
The mob finds it more difficult in the UK , there are less loopholes for them to exploit in the law.

What exactly are those lesser loopholes that you are referring to ?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:50 PM

Also in keeping with the organized crime aspect of this discussion , how come it seems that labor racketeering has never really been exploited by organized crime groups operating in Germany ?

I mean it seems it would have been easy for Turkish and Italian gangsters to infiltrate many German labor unions representing a large amount of their fellow compatriots working in the sorts of low paid/inelastic demand industries ( like garbage collection ) that are ripe for racketeering , which begs the question of why they seem to have not ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History