Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 06:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious... about 20 years ago I seem to remember conservatives cheering our nudging of Iraqi civilians to tear down the statue of Hussein in Baghdad. Typically, whatever regimes that lose wars also lose their statues. It's MORE weird that these statues didn't just remain but were constructed after the Civil War. Why is this any different for the right wing factions in this country?

Old 06-11-2020, 07:34 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'm just curious... about 20 years ago I seem to remember conservatives cheering our nudging of Iraqi civilians to tear down the statue of Hussein in Baghdad. Typically, whatever regimes that lose wars also lose their statues. It's MORE weird that these statues didn't just remain but were constructed after the Civil War. Why is this any different for the right wing factions in this country?
Out of respect for our opponent who is family. Families argue they fight, they become one again.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
I read that Houston is moving its "Spirit of Confederacy" statue from a public park to the Houston Museum of African American Culture. Side note, but this is one of the creepiest public statues I have ever seen, right up there with the "Ugly Lucy.".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit...uston_Park.JPG

Old 06-11-2020, 07:57 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Nope. Most of those statues were put up in the 20s with the goal to intimidate the black population. I had a top-notch education - a top private school on the east coast and an Ivy League college, plus I've always been interested in history. Statues have not really played a big part in that education. The Confederate statues do not convey significant information or represent any particularly great works of art. They were political propaganda.

Germany doesn't have any statues of Hitler, yet we're all perfectly aware of his significance.

These statues have no place in a public setting, though an argument could be made for them to be donated to African American-focused museums to be used as they see fit.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:16 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
These statues, such as Lee, would serve well in Battlefield museums all over the US. Gettysburg, Antietam, etc. That would certainly feel appropriate and within the proper context.

Take them out of the public square and put them where they belong- the battlefields that they fought.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:33 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I'm not as much concerned about the actual removal as the mindset driving the removal. We've gone into a mod mindset where so called leaders are taking actions to both appease and encourage the mob for their own political gain. We're erasing not only important history, but also trampling fundamental beliefs in our rush to do it. Our forefathers fought against tyranny yet here we are today running full tilt toward tyranny. The tyranny of one sided beliefs. They tyranny of shouting down those we disagree with. The tyranny of mob rule.

It's sad to think that a line from Star Wars was so prophetic:

This is how liberty dies. To thunderous applause.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
When I first heard about the defacing and destruction of statues of Confederate war heroes several years ago, while I find the values of the Confederacy repulsive, I do respect the importance of historical provenance and was at the very least, a bit dismayed.

Then I learned that most of these statues were erected during the Jim Crow era and right up until the mid 1960s Civil Rights era as a middle finger to the North, a reminder to Southern Whites of the glory days when white trash could own another human being, and to make sure that Black people in Southern cities did not forget whose cities they were living in.

It is akin to putting a statue of Goebbels in the middle of 1990s Berlin.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:11 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
Because MLK committed adultery his immoral behavior is offensive AND HIS STATUTES NEED TO GO TOO..........

Old 06-11-2020, 10:11 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Let’s just say that I’m not a fan of it. Didn’t like it, when it happened in Europe either. It’s not even an issue of what the monument symbolises, but more cultural destruction. Statues, even those coming from controversial figures, are the legacy of a country’s past.

To take this conversation further, a lot of buildings have been razed throughout history when a conquering nation or different political party took over. That to may, is akin to erasing the past.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I guess we going to have to demolish Roman Coliseum, Hagia Sophia, Parthenon, Tower of London, Forbidden City, Mecca, Teotihuacan etc etc

All those things are associated with some bad activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History