Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
If a statue is to be removed it should be done by the proper authorities after ...
Sounds all peachy and sweet doesn't it?

Old 06-11-2020, 08:15 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Academic tests always have questions about "compare and contrast." It's a test of intelligence and mastery of a subject. The more intelligent one is, the more subtle similarities in patently dissimilar objects can be seen & discerned, and the more subtle dissimilarities in obviously similar object can be discerned.

If political correctness blinds you to the honorable traits of a certain figure that those in the past felt obliged to recognize & perpetuate, then you won't understand my argument, so I won't go into it.

How do you feel about the Egyptians who destroyed the cartouches of previous pharaohs? Don't you feel they were being small? Are we to burn books written by or about these historical figures also?

Old 06-11-2020, 08:16 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Guess I better check the news from my old home town back in Ohio. There’s a statue of Christopher Columbus in front of city hall that’s been there for years. I guess these statues represent the old order and history to some people. When icons come tumbling down in other countries it’s oftentimes a sign of seismic shift in society and government.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:28 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If political correctness blinds you to the honorable traits of a certain figure
that those in the past felt obliged to recognize & perpetuate...
Staying on point and the actual topic (regardless off how broadly some WANT to extend it)...
such noble motives are NOT in evidence as regards the CSA statues.

Be very clear on these points and what (Jim Crow etc) was actually behind it all.
What honorable traits some of the historic subjects may have once possessed ...were squandered.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:31 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
This is one of the major reasons why my husband and I are going to "bury" ourselves in rural Wisconsin for our retirement and try to retire ourselves from all the craziness going on.

I think the fact that parts of the U.S. allowed slavery for so long and that racist attitudes have been shown by many of our leaders since the the first settlers is shameful, and I couldn't care less about statues, but I also deplore the "let's tear down everything that I don't like" of some people, and I shake my head at much of the current and recent news. In my opinion, the U.S. has never had a "sweet spot" of peace and justice for all, but I don't think there has ever been a period this crazy.

(And also in my opinion, starting in the 1960's, the U.S. was becoming much better at having all its residents learning to live at peace with each other with each passing year until about ten years ago.)

Old 06-11-2020, 09:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Is anyone concerned about the removal of statues?

My only concern is why are there still some of these things on display?

They're just big "participation trophies" for sore losers.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:45 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
Should they be removed? hmmmm. possibly yes. But not by frenzied mobs. Where are the police?

Regarding the confederate statues. We as a country, brothers were divided. Sides were chosen and we fought. A messy bloody war. The war ended, and as brothers or family of states we forgive one another. These statues commemorate their military prowess, a worthy enough opponent, and we move on. It's a part of our family/country's history.

what I see is the early stages of historical white wash. Statues, Gone with the Wind having warnings at the beginning of the movie. Censorship on YouTube.

If we go down this road, where will it end. If it's good for one, then it must be true for all. Be rid of Ceasars bust, Cleopatra statues. Throw down George Washington, wipe him and Jefferson off our currency. Be rid of what some deem as offensive art. Let's create this new era. Let's pay homage to JFK. Oops wait a second, we are in the me too movement. Let's pay homage to Dr. King . Another oopsie. Me too movement wouldn't like him either. Wasn't every civilization created off the back of another? I am seeing patterns here. One, nobody is perfect, not one. Two, almost looks like Germany in the years leading up to WWII. Wow I'm all over the map now. ok I'm out

Old 06-11-2020, 10:53 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,221 times
Statues are not history.

Confederate leaders are not worthy of public recognition outside of hometown museums.

If authorities won't take steps to remove the statues from public view for either disposal, storage or movement to an appropriate historical venue, the majority who want this inappropriate recognition ended will do it for them.

Did I miss anything? Or would some promoters of slavery and oppression like to step up and defend the memorials on the grounds that "not everyone likes everything"?

Old 06-11-2020, 11:09 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Statues are not history.

Confederate leaders are not worthy of public recognition outside of hometown museums.

If authorities won't take steps to remove the statues from public view for either disposal, storage or movement to an appropriate historical venue, the majority who want this inappropriate recognition ended will do it for them.what "majority"? This was voted on? Sure doesn't look that way to me

Did I miss anything? Or would some promoters of slavery and oppression that's a mighty wide paintbrush lollike to step up and defend the memorials on the grounds that "not everyone likes everything"?
So then all things offensive must be removed?

Old 06-11-2020, 11:53 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I have a lot of connection to the city of Richmond, VA where a lot of this kerfuffle over the statues on Monument Avenue was centered, I'm not sure if it was the first major point for this overall re-examination and sometimes removal of statuary, but it was certainly one of the bigger, more significant ones. I mean, Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy and all.

Thing is, most of the residents of Richmond have wanted them GONE for years. "Well, why didn't the city remove them, then?" Good question. Seems some years back there was a vote on it, and the city did vote to remove them (and there was much rejoicing. yayyyy.) But then the Commonwealth of Virginia stepped in, under different leadership at the time, and put a halt to plans for removal. Blocked the city from enacting the will of their residents. (booooo.)

So the statues stayed. A bunch of Confederate leaders with one placatory black tennis player, the horrid Arthur Ashe statue (horrid only because it was badly made, it looks like he's attacking a bunch of children with a racket. It did not depict him well.) *sigh*

But now... Well, things have changed. Richmond can finally get rid of its wretched statues.

Personally, I think that what is happening RIGHT NOW is of huge historical significance. No matter what side of politics you are on, 2020 has been a year of massive upheaval. Lots to write in the history books about, and the present protests, which I believe have become the biggest ever single protest movement in known human history, not just encompassing American cities, but many other cities around the world... It's kind of a big deal. And so in all honesty, I am far more concerned with preserving the graffiti that is all over the statues right now, than I am the statues themselves. I think that the entire thing, in all cases like the big Lee statue we see so often...should be dismantled, including the masonry it perches upon, and reassembled in a museum, EXACTLY AS IT IS. Because it's pretty profound to see statues of figures from hundreds of years ago who fought to defend a culture that depended on slavery, so eloquently defaced by the descendants of said slaves and their supporters and allies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History