Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 10:00 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
This is becoming nonsense.
I think you are on to something. It is getting to be like replacement behavior borne out of frustration that we can't make real progress on problem A (systemic racism, oppression of minorities, etc.) so we attack problem B which is sometimes a symbol of those things (confederate statues) but sometimes not... But the rage and frustration continues. They could be burning down the courthouse and trashing downtown but the statues are an easy target and who really cares if one more confederate general statue bites the dust?

Wikipedia has a list of statues that have been pulled down or removed and the great majority are removed by municipal or government authorities, not by gangs of protesters. City councils or other authorities are preempting the arrival of protesters in some cases by removing the statues. To me that indicates that they knew the statues were seen as offensive but indecision or inertia or some power group kept them from removing them earlier. Most of these statues really have nothing to do with history. Some of the anger is very localized and the target is somebody that no one else ever heard of.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:21 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Yes, teddy Roosevelt is a bit odd get onto the wrong side of anger.
Man who was the first to invite black family to White House and insist on having dinner with them?
Who moved America like no one else?
A true hero?
Seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxHV5vu1Mo&t=677s

Old 06-23-2020, 10:52 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think you are on to something. It is getting to be like replacement behavior borne out of frustration that we can't make real progress on problem A (systemic racism, oppression of minorities, etc.) so we attack problem B which is sometimes a symbol of those things (confederate statues) but sometimes not... But the rage and frustration continues. They could be burning down the courthouse and trashing downtown but the statues are an easy target and who really cares if one more confederate general statue bites the dust?

Wikipedia has a list of statues that have been pulled down or removed and the great majority are removed by municipal or government authorities, not by gangs of protesters. City councils or other authorities are preempting the arrival of protesters in some cases by removing the statues. To me that indicates that they knew the statues were seen as offensive but indecision or inertia or some power group kept them from removing them earlier. Most of these statues really have nothing to do with history. Some of the anger is very localized and the target is somebody that no one else ever heard of.
Again for the people who are blatantly ignoring what i said......its NOT confederate statues. Its Washington, our first president and the general of the american army during the revolution. Its Jefferson who wrote the declaration of independence. Its Grant and Roosevelt. Its the history of our country, not the bad history its all the history. So you can justify it however you want but i doesnt change the fact that the wrong things are being targeted

Old 06-23-2020, 11:15 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Again for the people who are blatantly ignoring what i said......its NOT confederate statues. Its Washington, our first president and the general of the american army during the revolution. Its Jefferson who wrote the declaration of independence. Its Grant and Roosevelt. Its the history of our country, not the bad history its all the history. So you can justify it however you want but i doesnt change the fact that the wrong things are being targeted
The difference is, the vast amount of people object to the tearing down of the Washington and Jefferson statues, and many, including official governments like St. Augustine last night, are understanding the problem with Confederate monuments or statues, and are removing them.

Anything Confederate needs to be in museums, private places or potentially, some, in cemeteries. None in public places for traitors.

Moving those monuments does not erase history, it only means that they are not honored nor telling descendants from slaves what their place was.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:15 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
I wonder what the plans are for Mount Rushmore..

Old 06-23-2020, 11:18 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I wonder what the plans are for Mount Rushmore..
They're going to bury it with the rubble from Stone Mountain and Geronimo.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:41 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The difference is, the vast amount of people object to the tearing down of the Washington and Jefferson statues, and many, including official governments like St. Augustine last night, are understanding the problem with Confederate monuments or statues, and are removing them.

Anything Confederate needs to be in museums, private places or potentially, some, in cemeteries. None in public places for traitors.

Moving those monuments does not erase history, it only means that they are not honored nor telling descendants from slaves what their place was.
The problem is that (it seems people dont want to acknowledge this) it doesnt seem to matter what the vast majority of people want. The vast majority of people do not want Roosevelt removed from a museum but its happening anyway. The vast majority of people dont want Washington and Jefferson removed from city hall, but there is no vote happening on that, instead a committee appointed by NYC mayor is deciding if Washington and Jefferson are too offensive for city hall.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:44 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
They're going to bury it with the rubble from Stone Mountain and Geronimo.
Yet, I trust, leave Ziolkowski’s nearby Crazy Horse Memorial alone?

Old 06-23-2020, 12:10 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,488 times
According to Ken Burns, our statues and monuments represent myths, not facts:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-myth-not-fact

Old 06-23-2020, 12:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Offensive Statue of the Day - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Yes, double feature for today, just too many offensive statues exist. This second one - yes late rocker Stevie Ray. Probably the greatest guitarist since Jimi.
Why? I suspect he is guilty of the sin of being white and, if not from, then dressed in what appears to be 19th century attire - which is enough to state that he is most certainly a racist and earned the <<bleep>> tag! I actually suspect a Barry Mannilow fan was the culprit, or those scheming fans of elevator music.
Stevie Ray rocks!

https://texastakes.com/2020/06/21/st...ke-vandalized/

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-23-2020 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Unacceptable language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History