Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,814,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Hispaniensis View Post
Spain never had colonies...
That's actually a pretty cool post. I can disagree with certain points but nothing wrong about being proud of your history...
Here's to Spain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM

18,064 posts, read 25,162,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
It seems that unlike British colonies, Spain's former colonies have been left in cultural and economic shambles.

Has Spain had any positive impact at all in its colonies?
The simple fact that people in all those Spanish countries see themselves as brothers/sisters is a huge positive impact.
You have to speak Spanish and live in a Spanish community to see that.

I'll give you the example of Venezuelans fleeing economic disaster and traveling by foot through several countries.
There's 1000s of stories about Venezuelans walking with nothing and many people in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, etc. waiting for them to walk by to give them something to eat and clothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Keuc2jAS50

Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,164,328 times
Quote:
It seems that unlike British colonies, Spain's former colonies have been left in cultural and economic shambles.

Human sacrifices and cannibalism?
At least they treated natives a bit better than Saxons did.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:47 PM

2,829 posts, read 2,134,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Human sacrifices and cannibalism?
At least they treated natives a bit better than Saxons did.
Tell that to the eight millions that died in the Potosi Mines.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:52 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,097,441 times
Quote:
Yes.

Spanish-speaking Native Americans get called "Hispanics" instead of being called Native Americans.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:22 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,824,742 times
Quote:

Peru, Colombia, Venezuela (before current situation), Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Cuba, DR, Costa Rica, Panama, are really not too bad.

A little political instability does not mean shambles. I will say war equals shambles. Europe went through much worse than any Latin American Country.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,824,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I can think of one - somehow the mix of Iberian, Native American, and African blood in the proper ratio over the centuries has given Brazilian women the unique trait of genetically perfect asses.
Well that's Portuguese colony, but close enough.
Lots of Italians in Brazil too. The Japanese move there also.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:06 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,816,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Peru, Colombia, Venezuela (before current situation), Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Cuba, DR, Costa Rica, Panama, are really not too bad.

A little political instability does not mean shambles. I will say war equals shambles. Europe went through much worse than any Latin American Country.
DR isn't shambles? That place is a crime infested dump. I feel sorry for anyone having to live there.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:41 PM

5,710 posts, read 11,272,939 times
A great positive impact of the Spanish Empire in the Americas is one language can be used for daily communication in 18 countries plus Puerto Rico. That doesn't include the 40 million or so Spanish language speakers in the USA. I have visited a majority of these countries and lived in a few, and the Spanish language has been a part of my life since I was young.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:41 PM

17,317 posts, read 11,176,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Hispaniensis View Post
Spain never had colonies.

We Spaniards are children of Rome unlike you, the anglos. And like Rome we only see empires. All the Spanish possessions in America had the same legality as the peninsula. A subject of the king of Spain in Lima was the same as a subject of the king in Seville. While the Anglos only see colonies with which to trade, Spain as heir to Rome does not colonize, but rather brings civilization to the barbarian territories. We build cathedrals, cities, universities, palaces, bridges and ports. India was British for several centuries. Of that only 2 or 3 Victorian buildings remain. The Spanish presence in America is in the language, the buildings, the surnames, the religion, the food and especially in the blood. A Spanish is not racist. That is why we mix with the indigenous people unlike the English tavern keepers and pirates who took their women on the ships. The Spanish were single, hoping to start a new life.

Half of your country was ours.

The last time that a foreign people or army occupied the entirety of my country was 15 centuries ago, the Visigoths.

Neither Arabs or Napoleon fully occupied Spain. The Russia of the south west

The romans occupied Gallia in few years. The romans needs 200 years to occupied all the Iberian peninsula.

We were the most prosperous imperial province of Rome to which we gave 2 of its best emperors.
We stop Islam and reconquer our country.

In my city, León, capital of his own kingdom, there were two unique event, the ascent to the throne of Urraca I, the first woman to reign in her own right. he inherited the kingdom when his father died in a Europe where a woman did not inherit even the bed where she slept.

And in 1188 we had the first legislative assembly with the people in the San Isidoro basilica, 200 meters from my house.
King Alfonso IX, in addition to nobility and bishops, decided that the representatives of the cities, merchants and artisans should come to discuss the affairs of the kingdom. Out of that assembly advanced laws emerged for the time, such as the inviolability of the home.

My country has conquered a continent in 50 years with just a few thousand men

The first human rights laws with the Burgos laws where they said that all the people including the indigenous people were sons of God.

We made the first round the world . The first global empire

What do we contribute? With words that that pirate and innkeeper people called the English doesn't know

Dignity

Honor

We are a civilization makers people... others ... pirates

As Don Blas de Lezo said, distinguished captain of the Spanish army that defeated Great Britain at the siege of Cartagena de Indias

"A good spanish must always **** looking at england"

At the end of the 18th century it was said that in the city of Mexico there were as many carriages as in Paris. It was prosperous and rich. full of palaces. We Spaniards are not to blame for betraying their empire and their king and founding all those unstable and decadent republics.

The United States could NEVER go out into the Pacific facing the Spanish empire. an empire from Buenos Aires to Canada. From Naples to the Philippines.

A fact that you do not know. most of the realistic armies that defended Spain in the independence forces were made up of indigenous, black and mestizo people who knew that the Empire was the way to be protected from the creole elites that formed the independence groups and that they saw in their republics a way to control and steal now without the tutelage of Madrid.

The cojones that we Spaniards have that after 10 years of wars against the French who left the country exhausted, we still fight as always, with honor and gallantry in America, making the wars of independence last more than 10 years. despite the fact that poor, destroyed, distant and small Spain had to fight on a continent 20 times larger and on several fronts.

What a great people we are especially angry. there is not enough land to run away from us

What egocentric comment

No. I'm not egocentric. Only a spanish.

Plus ultra

Go beyond

This is our motto
What a great post!

"We Spaniards are children of Rome unlike you, the anglos." This my friend is so true and northern Europeans fail to see the significance of this in the way one thinks and lives. They will never understand nor want to.
Being of Roman Italian origin, I have always felt a strong bond with Spaniards more so than with any other Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History