U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,459 posts, read 13,360,845 times
Reputation: 4969

Advertisements

*President doesn't need to be active

Frank Sinatra?

11...

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
John F. Kennedy
Lyndon B. Johnson
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
George H.W. Bush
Bill Clinton
Donald Trump


Maybe also Hoover, Eisenhower and Bush Jr. but i can't find any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2020, 11:56 AM
 
13,690 posts, read 19,811,339 times
Reputation: 22822
Hi might be beat, or at least tie Bob Hope:

I’ve known eleven presidents about as intimately as a man can without being either a fellow politician or related. I’ve golfed with them, dined with them, told jokes with them. I’ve even had them steal my material. Laughter is nonpartisan—a great leveler. And maybe that’s the one thing all eleven presidents have in common. As long as it’s funny, you can say almost anything to them and get away with it.—Bob Hope, 1996
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2020, 12:24 PM
 
2,772 posts, read 770,698 times
Reputation: 4495
Honestly, I'd have to put an asterisk on Trump in the first list. Sinatra died in 1998, when DJT was nothing but a New York developer. I get the caveat, but having met a fellow celebrity more than fifteen years before his name and "president" were ever used in the same sentence is... a stretch. Like counting someone who served with Truman or JFK long before either entered politics.

I'd bet Hope wins simply from longevity. And possibly someone in the same entertainment vein — Carl Reiner? George Burns? Maybe I.M. Pei, who just died (still active) at almost 102?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2020, 12:38 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
12,763 posts, read 11,977,639 times
Reputation: 8291
I'll bet Billy Graham shook hands with every President from Truman to Obama. Given his age, he may have met FDR too.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 PM
 
2,772 posts, read 770,698 times
Reputation: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'll bet Billy Graham shook hands with every President from Truman to Obama. Given his age, he may have met FDR too.
His web site has photos from Truman to Obama. I think they'd mention FDR had the men met.

Unless there is someone from a prior era who spanned more, I'd say we have, if not a solo winner, then a member of a very small class. Twelve.

If there's a thirteener, he would have had to span the short-term Presidents, from Harrison to McKinley. William Jennings Bryan comes to mind, although he was a politician in that he ran for the office three times. Maybe one of the very long-serving SCJs?

QE2 has met twelve, although she could be considered a politician.

A search brings up Alice Roosevelt Longworth, TR's daughter, who met 17 presidents and presumably shook hands with them all. That's going to be tough to beat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 AM
 
Location: The North Star State
2,874 posts, read 888,573 times
Reputation: 12218
It is worth noting that this hinges in part on the rate at which presidents leave office, as this affords the most potential meetings with presidents in a given amount of time.

Beginning with the election of Martin Van Buren in 1836 (taking office in March 1837), six consecutive elected presidents failed to secure a second term, and two of those died in office and were replaced by presidents elevated from the vice presidency who also failed to secure a full term beyond that. Lincoln managed a second term, but was assassinated a mere six weeks into it. His successor, Andrew Johnson, did not win a second term. Grant then did, but then there was Hayes (one term), Garfield (assassinated a few months into his presidency), Arthur (less than one full term), Cleveland (one term - initially), Benjamin Harrison (one term), Cleveland again (one term, again - though the official enumeration counts him as two presidents, both the 22nd and 24th, raising the question as to whether a shake of his hand counts twice).

In short, between early 1837 (when lame duck Jackson was still in office) to early 1897 (when McKinley took office) there were 19 presidents (18 if only counting Cleveland twice). That's a lot of potential right there.

On the other hand, the relatively unease of travel back then probably mitigates the opportunities.

Beginning with FDR in 1933, the average lengths of presidencies really increases. Lots of two-termers (and FDR, three-plus) in there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2020, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,459 posts, read 13,360,845 times
Reputation: 4969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
A search brings up Alice Roosevelt Longworth, TR's daughter, who met 17 presidents and presumably shook hands with them all. That's going to be tough to beat.
I don't she can get to that number.
She was born in 1884, i don't think she shook any presidents hands besides her dad until 1901.
She never met Jimmy Carter.
She hated FDR so i don't think they ever shook hands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2020, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Tucson AZ & Leipzig, Germany
3,184 posts, read 8,317,823 times
Reputation: 5510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
It is worth noting that this hinges in part on the rate at which presidents leave office, as this affords the most potential meetings with presidents in a given amount of time.

Beginning with the election of Martin Van Buren in 1836 (taking office in March 1837), six consecutive elected presidents failed to secure a second term, and two of those died in office and were replaced by presidents elevated from the vice presidency who also failed to secure a full term beyond that. Lincoln managed a second term, but was assassinated a mere six weeks into it. His successor, Andrew Johnson, did not win a second term. Grant then did, but then there was Hayes (one term), Garfield (assassinated a few months into his presidency), Arthur (less than one full term), Cleveland (one term - initially), Benjamin Harrison (one term), Cleveland again (one term, again - though the official enumeration counts him as two presidents, both the 22nd and 24th, raising the question as to whether a shake of his hand counts twice).

In short, between early 1837 (when lame duck Jackson was still in office) to early 1897 (when McKinley took office) there were 19 presidents (18 if only counting Cleveland twice). That's a lot of potential right there.

On the other hand, the relatively unease of travel back then probably mitigates the opportunities.

Beginning with FDR in 1933, the average lengths of presidencies really increases. Lots of two-termers (and FDR, three-plus) in there.
My guess is there might have been a non-partisian, civil service White House service or staff employee that could have had the a chance to meet a dozen or so Presidents, if they worked there in the 1840 to 1880 time period. Remember, there was no "social security" and set retirement age in those days, people worked as long as they were able to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top