Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:00 AM

5,329 posts, read 3,210,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
remember the incredibly massive amounts of death and destruction that the US brought to countless innocent people for the actions of a few dozen people.
Cool story.

I remember the thousands of innocent deaths brought about by a "few dozen people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 08:40 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,935 times
Thanks for the reminder. It's a day I will never forget where I was and doing when I heard, then saw on TV the second plane crash into the towers. Every year I watch some of the programs about 9/11.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:29 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know me, Jersey girl!

One World Trade Center, on the 43rd Floor at 8:46 a.m.
I have read the accounts you have given here in the past. We were watching one of the shows that my husb recorded last night and I thought of you. You experienced all that. I thought of you through every show we watched last year.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:00 PM

223 posts, read 144,467 times
My brother was on his way back to work at the Pentagon and saw the plane hit. I was working at Quantico Marine base and we thought we could come under attack either by water (Quantico is on the Potomac River) or train (Amtrak have a stop on the base).

Old 09-10-2020, 06:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I also keep MQ's experience close to my heart. We lived in NJ at the time, one of my neighbors never came home. My son's classmate lost his parents. It was a horrible day.

Now we're living in GA, and our local high school students, who weren't even born when it happened, place a flag for each fatality on the front lawn every year. It's a striking reminder.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:27 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,904,212 times
It was late night/early morning here in QLD (Australia) at my residence where several friends and I had been gathered for a casual meeting. Since the meet-up was winding down a couple of the guys went into the lounge room and turned on the TV to watch, as it turned out, a sports broadcast. Then, a news alert interrupted regular programming. One of the team called out excitedly, "Hey, come and look at this, a plane just flew into the Trade Center in New York!" This grabbed the attention of the rest of us and we rushed into the lounge to watch what was to become an unbelievable set of events. We, naturally, felt that it had been an unfortunate accident. This was until the second plane hit the second tower and we then knew that it was no accident ...America was under attack! Needless to say, we were just as numbed with unbelief by the events that unfolded on that day as were everyone else.

This event was felt by everyone around the world. Here in Australia (and England) where the date of this attack would normally appear as 11-9-2001 ...in other words, the 11th day of the 9th month ...the event "9/11" has been etched into the native mind rather than "11/9". We all know what "9/11" represents.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:19 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
This song I always think of on 9-11. I am a Southern Ct native, who lived near Nashville 9-11-2001, but who still was in shock that day. A friend's brother (dad of over ten), a NYPD cop, rushed to WTC from Brooklyn, and I am delighted he got there after both towers were down, or he'd be part of the death toll. I spent quite a bit of time on phone trying to reach his brother, my ex Fordham U roommate, before finally connecting. His brother was busy, working for a news station that day, 3,000 miles from Ground Zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PwWkV4HQ4

Old 09-11-2020, 07:18 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
My brother was on his way back to work at the Pentagon and saw the plane hit. I was working at Quantico Marine base and we thought we could come under attack either by water (Quantico is on the Potomac River) or train (Amtrak have a stop on the base).
This reinforces the level of chaos from that tragic day where people literally did not know what to expect and had to prepare for the worst via any medium.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
It was the worst day I can personally remember in American history. I sat glued to the TV crying for hours. At first I was just in shock but as the first tower fell, the tears came. This used to be my home town.

I visited the area in 2008 and the tears flowed again as I looked at the one remaining tree near the towers, the boot scratch marks on the wooden floors at the little church nearby where the rescuers went to rest and thought about that awful day. People who just went to work as usual, never to come home. It was just incomprehensible.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:10 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Below is the breaking news that I mentioned in post #26 as well as the later thoughts of Sandra Sully who was the first news reader to break the news to Australia via TV. Even now, 19 years after the event, the horror of what was occurring is still as chilling as it was back then and will, in fact, always remain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELsEWogFBKM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History