Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,149,938 times

Advertisements

With the Enlgish language be what it is today, made up from so many others cultures in history. My question it, "Do any of you English teachers or professors get upset over the way these kids today butcher the Eglish language?"

I mean when I read most of these forums I see the younger generation writting as if they where text messaging their friends on thier cell phones. Like this, "U know da 2 of us r 4 u all da way". When ever I see this going on I just ingore what they're trying to say and move onto the next post.

Now I know for a fact that if my Grandmother would have seen any of her grandchildren write like this, she would have put her foot in our backsides. Being that she was a retired school teacher, she believed in proper English. I remember being corrected by her for saying "Ain't".

So I was just curious if there where any school teachers or english professors that find this as a butchery of the english language. And what you would like to do, too put an end to it. Besides, I know my writing habits sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,345,087 times
English is a dynamic language. It is a different today than it was yesterday; and tomorrow, it will change again. In addition, there are many "Englishes" spoken in the world, and understood by millions of people in differing ways.

The important thing, from this English professor's point of view, is to offer examples of graceful and effective language for students to appreciate. If they refuse to do so, it is their loss for not seeing what beautiful things our language can convey and the satisfaction that can be gained from using it skillfully, just as one can use a guitar, a paintbrush, or one's body.

That some exert their will, and choose to be impoverished in their appreciation and facility with language, is part of what freedom is all about. We should not fear freedom -- it is our gift to posterity; besides, other students will follow the better angels of their nature and choose to develop their skills with English, and our language will continue to astonish, instruct, and delight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History