Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times

Advertisements

This entire conversation is rather silly considering Catholics make up the largest Christian denomination in the United States or of any faith, not Methodists, not Evangelicals or Baptists or people of the Jewish faith.

Last edited by marino760; 09-20-2020 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 11:10 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I’m curious, did all the current Supreme Court Catholics get similar treatment? As far as I can tell, just being Catholic hasn’t seemed to have been that big of a dealbreaker for either party in recent years.

Religious Affiliation of the Current Justices:

John Roberts (Chief Justice) - Roman Catholicism
Clarence Thomas - Roman Catholicism
Stephen Breyer - Judaism
Samuel Alito - Roman Catholicism
Sonia Sotomayor - Roman Catholicism
Elena Kagan - Judaism
Neil Gorsuch - Episcopalian, raised Roman Catholic
Brett Kavanaugh - Roman Catholicism

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._United_States
If Amy Coney Barrett is put up for SCJ the anti Catholic drum will be banged again and again. Despite the number of RC's on the Supreme Court, they will accuse her of not being able to do the job due to her religious beliefs.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:12 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If Amy Coney Barrett is put up for SCJ the anti Catholic drum will be banged again and again. Despite the number of RC's on the Supreme Court, they will accuse her of not being able to do the job due to her religious beliefs.
So was it an issue for the others? Did they accuse Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Sotomayor and Kavanaugh of not being able to do their job because of their religious beliefs?

Old 09-20-2020, 11:19 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This entire conversation is rather silly considering Catholics make up the largest Christian denomination in the United States or of any faith, not Methodists, not Evangelicals or Baptists or people of the Jewish faith.
I think for purposes of this discussion you are sub dividing the different Protestant Christian organizations too far. The minor doctrinal and leadership positions amongst them are insignificant as many can move from denomination to denomination with no social impact

Old 09-20-2020, 11:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Hmm, Catholics and Jews. Nary an atheist amongst them.
I wouldn't say that neccessarily. Many of them may only be nominal in their religion. Same with politicians and everyday Americans.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think for purposes of this discussion you are sub dividing the different Protestant Christian organizations too far. The minor doctrinal and leadership positions amongst them are insignificant as many can move from denomination to denomination with no social impact
I would say that Mainline protestants are significantly different from Evangelicals as to be considered two separate categories. A Mainline protestant judge is far more likely to use science and rationality as a factor in judgement as opposed to scripture and advice from fundamentalist theologians.

This would split the Protestant number by roughly a third.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:50 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
And Nixon won Oklahoma, so the vote of the elector there (who voted for Goldwater) had nothing to do with JFK, period.
Nope, the Oklahoma elector voted for Byrd. Goldwater was the elector's choice for VP.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that 'the media' hasn't covered up the closeness of the 1960 election, the bitter struggle over civil rights, or the fact that someone put a bullet through Kennedy's head - all of which are rather obvious tip-offs that JFK wasn't universally loved.

Stop blaming someone's historical ignorance on the boogeyman of 'the media'.

Moderator cut: More of the quoted post was removed.
Nope, nope, nope. I did not blame the media for "covering up" the closeness of the 1960 election. I am saying that the mass media has glorified JFK and raised his 1,000 days up to mythical status that's overshadowed everything else about him in the years since his assassination. I am not saying there is an active cover-up of the 1960 election, the Bay of Pigs invasion, or JFK's behind-the-scenes support for Nixon in his senate race against "Pink Lady" Helen Gahagan Douglas.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:40 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
So was it an issue for the others? Did they accuse Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Sotomayor and Kavanaugh of not being able to do their job because of their religious beliefs?
The country is so angry and divided that it makes no difference the religious beliefs of a candidate it will become just one more reason to fight. If the candidate were agnostic they would be angry over that too.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:08 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Everywhere Catholics aren't loved. I know many people are who still anti-Catholic and it has nothing to do with the priest molestation problem. They were raised that their church is THE church and everyone else is going to hell. Catholics are just evil people according to some. I don't know how you get to pick and choose which church is good and which is bad since you're all following the same book, but hey whatever floats your boat.
I wonder if you applied your same words to a minority group, say blacks, how it would come across to others.
I sense bigotry or at least tacit approval of such.
What about saying the same words regarding Jew or Muslims and how would it sound?

It just seems like in this country, the only religion that is constantly under attack is Christianity.
Like all Christian denominations, Catholics just have different traditions, rituals, songs, etc.
They are no better or worse than any other Christians.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:21 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would say that Mainline protestants are significantly different from Evangelicals as to be considered two separate categories. A Mainline protestant judge is far more likely to use science and rationality as a factor in judgement as opposed to scripture and advice from fundamentalist theologians.

This would split the Protestant number by roughly a third.
Wow, the sweeping generalizations is this thread along with bigotry is astounding in 2020.

You are essentially saying "mainline Protestant" (you have the capitalization backwards by the way) are better at being judges than evangelical Protestants.
Heck I am not even sure what a "mainline" Protestant denomination is suppose to be.
Nor am I sure which denominations you consider evangelical Protestants to be, though I have a better idea of those.

So let us see which denominations fit into which category in your view?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History