Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 08:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

I think the OP grossly underestimates the driving force of adolescent male hormones, for one thing, and the prurient interest of some adult males in their pubescent female family members. Also, if you throw alcohol into the picture, anything can happen, but "anything" can happen even without alcohol.

Here's this current thread, from another C-D forum:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ate-their.html
Quote:
Amish brothers avoid jail time for sex with 12-year-old-sister
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 08:29 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Cousin relationship was prevalent until recently, Einstein married his first cousin, Charles Darwin, Rudy Giuiliani (2nd cousin), Winnie the Pooh "Christopher Robin" who the cartoon was based off of grew up to marry his cousin, Franklin Roosevelt married Eleanor Roosevelt.

Even recently I had a co-worker from Jamaica who recently slept with his cousin (apparently his brother did also).

So it might be gross but its happening.
Interesting. And how is it, that you were privy to this bit of news?

Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Child marriage was common in the Virginia colony. (Col. Daniel Parke's wife was 14; Martha Washington's first husband was her son.) But Edgar Allen Poe merits comment here when at 27 he married his first cousin who was 13. Her mother was Maria Poe. (Today, first cousin marriage is prohibited in VA, those between 16 and 18 can marry with the parents' permission.) Apparently first cousin marriage did not become illegal in many states until after the 1860's.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:43 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Not the same thing.
The verb disgusted is in the title of thread. Cant be more accurate than that.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:11 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Cousin relationship was prevalent until recently, Einstein married his first cousin, Charles Darwin, Rudy Giuiliani (2nd cousin), Winnie the Pooh "Christopher Robin" who the cartoon was based off of grew up to marry his cousin, Franklin Roosevelt married Eleanor Roosevelt.

Even recently I had a co-worker from Jamaica who recently slept with his cousin (apparently his brother did also).

So it might be gross but its happening.
Eleanor and Franklin were fifth cousins once removed. That's hardly the same thing as first cousins.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:59 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
we have been socialized to think that marrying a relative is something abhorrent

If you grow up in a society and era when it's considered normal to marry a relative, then you don't have the same negative reaction to the idea

I'm happy to live in a time and place when intrafamily marriage is not a common practice, but I know to not judge people of another time and place by the standards I am used to

Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The verb disgusted is in the title of thread. Cant be more accurate than that.
The substantial gist of this thread is sibling and cousin incest, not parent-child incest, which you correctly point out has a long history of being shunned.

In other words, it's mostly about sexual relations between individuals who would be otherwise unremarkable pairings except for close genetic relation - of similar or at least compatible ages.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:36 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Eleanor and Franklin were fifth cousins once removed. That's hardly the same thing as first cousins.
Most families can't even identify cousins that far apart. It's likely any (US) poster on this board is slagging cousins in that connection range.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Yes.... I always chuckle a little when some zealot tries to lecture me about "biblical marriage." The point about the royal families of Europe constantly intermarrying in a small pool is well taken, that's my main appreciation of Harry & Megan breaking with tradition.
That tradition is pretty long gone such that I wouldn't consider Harry and Megan to have been the ones who broke it. Harry's parents were 16th cousins. Hardly incest. And Prince William and Kate Middleton are 11th cousins, once removed.

I believe Most of the Windsor line married distant cousins like that, but not close enough to be considered incest to most people. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, notably, were 1st cousins, though. I have a hypothesis that the more peaceful the times (within the sphere of European relations) the more distant relations become between royal coouple since there is no diplomatic urgency.

As far as Royal marriages, or any other, I would say that 1st cousin marriages are undesirable from both a cultural standpoint to me (though they persist, even in developed countries today) and from a genetic perspective, though I wouldn't consider it incest, per se. And although defects from 1st cousin pairs are relatively rare, on a large scale they do make an impact. Apparently Pakistan has one of the highest rates of 1st cousin marriages in the world, and there is a detectable number of disabled children resulting from this.

As for 2nd cousin marriages, they were well within the norm until industrialization started changing the population dynamic from rural argricultural societies to a mainly urbanized standard, barely much more than 100 years ago in the Western world and much more recently in many other regions on just about every continent.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:53 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Don't forget that in the popular classic, Gone With the Wind, Scarlett's love interest, Ashley Wilkes is married to his first cousin, Melanie Hamilton. In the novel, it is mentioned several times by other characters that the Wilkes and the Hamiltons had intermarried for generations and is inferred that Melanie's delicate health was at least partially caused by inbreeding. It's also noted in a conversation between a neighbor who's fond of breeding horses and Gerald O'Hara that it would have done the Wilkes' family bloodline some good had Ashley chosen to marry one of her four red-haired daughters or Scarlett.

So far as royalty is concerned, Louis the Fourteenth of France (the Sun King) was married to his *double* first cousin. (Brother-and-sister pairs of both the Bourbon and Spanish family line had married and produced Louis and his wife, Maria Theresa.)

Then you have the case of poor Charles of Spain, Maria Theresa's half-brother, who was the end product of generations of intermarriage that culminated in the marriage of his father and his niece (who was also his aunt, among other things. So confusing, when a family tree doesn't branch as it should!)

At any rate, it's still not unusual for families to intermarry--especially in more insular religious communities such as the Amish and the Hutterites, although it's not as much incestuous in nature so much as most in the groups such as the Amish are descended from a few hundred original members who emigrated to the New World. Although first cousin marriages are illegal in most states, second and third cousin marriages weren't and aren't overly unusual in some communities. Heck, a good chunk of the people I grew up around "back home" are related via blood or marriage albeit not generally via close cousin intermarriage/interbreeding, which isn't unusual in somewhat rural areas where many family names are represented by local street and road appellations. *shrugs*

Getting back to the O.P.'s original post...The O.P. must needs remember that the church had co-sanguinity laws, so no one was marrying a sibling or a parent (or at least not without serious consequences)! There are charts from the period that provide extensive detail as to what degree of co-sanguinity was acceptable.....and what was not.

As a matter of fact, the basis of Henry the Eighth of England's (he of the six wives fame) divorce case was his assertion that, according to Biblical and the Church's doctrine of the time, Katherine of Aragon was his sister---in law, if not by actual blood.

How was she his sister, you ask? Because Katherine was the widow of Henry's older brother Arthur, when Henry married and bedded Katherine, he was considered to have committed a sin. Katherine and Henry had had a special dispensation given by the Pope for their marriage, but desperate for a legitimate male heir, Henry tried to backpedal on what Rome had once legitimized per his (and his father's) request.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 09-29-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History