U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:04 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,985,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coem View Post
My grandfather, with only a high school education was able to buy a house, a car and support a wife and four children in the 1950s. This can rarely happen today. As a younger person (27), this is the only thing about the 50s that I really idolize.

Otherwise, when I think 1950s I think about racism, conformity, kids practicing ducking under their desks in the event of nuclear war, McCarthyism, the rise of car centered suburban 'Levittowns', and Italian food being the most "ethnic" food available (actual quote from my father).

The 1950s are generally idolized because it's considered a time of innocence before the political and social upheavals of the 60s. Interestingly, I sense among my own generation a similiar feeling for the 1990s which we see as a time of innocence before Bush, 9/11, and recession.
Thank you for your youthful perspective. I predict that the 1990s will seem even more golden as they recede in the rear-view mirror of your memory, and are contrasted with ever more disheartening events of the future.

Be strong, though. Don't let the politicians determine your world-view. Refuse to be disheartened!
Rate this post positively

Old 05-05-2008, 04:20 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,631,935 times
Quote:

The 1950s are generally idolized because it's considered a time of innocence before the political and social upheavals of the 60s. Interestingly, I sense among my own generation a similiar feeling for the 1990s which we see as a time of innocence before Bush, 9/11, and recession.
Ah...I miss the '90s. I think a lot of people are nostalgic for the 1990s and that is helping Hillary's chances.

The '50s and the '90s are really similar decades. They are reletively conservative times of peace and prosperity between the end of a global conflict and the beginning of a decade of social/moral crisis and war.

Pre-1950s: WWII/Korea
Pre-1990s: Cold War/Persian Gulf

Post-1950s: Vietnam/counterculture/sexual revolution
Post-1990s: 9-11/Iraq/culture war/homosexuality/gas prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Thank you for your youthful perspective. I predict that the 1990s will seem even more golden as they recede in the rear-view mirror of your memory, and are contrasted with ever more disheartening events of the future.

Be strong, though. Don't let the politicians determine your world-view. Refuse to be disheartened!
Who says the future will be terrible? Its a popular thing to say today because people are fed up with our leadership, but we still don't know how everything will play out.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 AM

41,037 posts, read 51,615,539 times
The 50's were great. Kinda like Mayberry. It's the 60's with the drugs and the hippie flower children that started the downfall of the American societies moral values, and the forerunner of today's problems.
The future will be a muticultural mini war that will eventually erupt into a massive religious armageddon.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 AM

20,094 posts, read 21,985,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Who says the future will be terrible? Its a popular thing to say today because people are fed up with our leadership, but we still don't know how everything will play out.
Certainly not I. Whether it disheartens or not, though, is up to the attitudes and perspective of young people, as I posted.

Be of good cheer.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM

1,356 posts, read 5,661,824 times
Quote:
My grandfather, with only a high school education was able to buy a house, a car and support a wife and four children in the 1950s. This can rarely happen today. As a younger person (27), this is the only thing about the 50s that I really idolize.

Otherwise, when I think 1950s I think about racism, conformity, kids practicing ducking under their desks in the event of nuclear war, McCarthyism, the rise of car centered suburban 'Levittowns', and Italian food being the most "ethnic" food available (actual quote from my father).

Interesting perspective. I am ten years older than you and think of the 80s as being more like the 50s and the 90s as more like the 60s. The 50s and 80s were both conservative and blissful. The music and fashion had some similarities. The country was in a prosperous, relatively calm time after the wars that ended in the 40s and 70s. The 60s and 90s both saw a fractionalization of society culturally speaking as represented in the music. The Cold War came to a head in the 80s and though we weren't building bomb shelters in the backyard I remember many people being concerned with Reagan's nuclear buildup. I am not sure either of us is right or wrong but it is curious that we both relate the idealistic perspective of the 50s to the decade in which we spent our teenage years.

Every decade has its good and its dirty little secrets (for lack of a better term). I think there was a sense of personal responsibility in the 50s that is foreign to many now. Or maybe that was part of the idealism we project on the 50s. I'll have to defer to those who remember the 50s for first person insight on that.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM

27,243 posts, read 55,655,637 times
I think it matters in large part where you lived in the 50's especially in terms of race relations...

Growing up in the Bay Area I would see news accounts about Jim Crow laws and Segregation from other parts of the country and it would be totally foreign to me...

Just about every race was represented in my neighborhood in Oakland... Whites, Blacks, Asian, Hispanic... to name a few and that also included my schools...

My father attended Oakland Public Schools in the 1930's along with Black, Japanese, Chinese and Mexican Classmates...

Maybe growing up in the Bay Area or California was quite different...

The 1950's here were seen as a time of economic prosperity... people were anxious to get on with life after having lived through WWII.

One of the most striking differences that I notice is the almost absence of stay at home moms today and the number of single parent homes... While not unheard of in the 50's... it certainly was the rare exception... I had one classmate whose father was killed in Korea and she was the only single parent family I knew... I didn't know any where both parents worked full time... although some had mom's that worked part time at the school or did book keeping work from home and these were the same families that always seemed to be going on great vacations every summer and had the new cars and power lawn mowers

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-08-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 01:06 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,577,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. Today people are too worried about hurting the child's self-esteem to teach them and mold them down the right path. I'm not sure when this started, but its created a domino effect that has morally bankrupt our nation.
Excellent point!! I totally agree

Nicolem

Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Excellent point!! I totally agree

Nicolem
Again it all started with the 60's hippie generation and the flower children. Check out WoodStock and you'll see why.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,962,896 times
The fifties actually had much more crime than today, it just wasn't as publicized

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
The fifties actually had much more crime than today, it just wasn't as publicized
That's impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.