Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Hechler, a former Congressman from West Virginia was assigned to interview many of the defendants tried at Nuremberg had the opportunity to interview former Reichsmarschall Herman Goring. It is a very interesting interview which reveals many answers to questions that regularly appear on in this forum. It is well worth the read.

Lost Prison Interview with Hermann Goring: The Reichsmarschall's Revelations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Thanks for posting this. In all that I read about the Nazi hierarchy, Goring comes across as the least insane, least driven by hatred, most rational of the upper tier leaders. This is not to say that he rates admiration of any sort or wasn't fully guilty of the Nazi crimes against humanity, just that he was the best of a bad lot. He has something of an evil clown image because of his assortment of eccentricities and obesity, but he was actually a very able and intelligent man.

If it had been Goring running the show rather than Hitler, I doubt that there would have been the Holocaust, his Jew baiting seemed to be a go along to get along expedient rather than any personal animosity. He still would have exploited them, robbed them, found them useful scapegoats, but I don't see that he had it in him to order a general extermination. He was no friend to the Jews, but he does not seem to have shared the obsession about them manifested by Hitler and the others.

He made his choices and justly paid the consequences for them, but if his life had been nudged in a different direction rather than under the influence of Hitler, he might have been a fairly decent person by the standards of the day.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Ken Hechler? Name is familiar. He wrote Bridge at Remagen?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Ken Hechler? Name is familiar. He wrote Bridge at Remagen?
Same gentleman. At 99 years of age he is also the oldest person to have ever served in Congress

Ken Hechler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Thanks for posting this. In all that I read about the Nazi hierarchy, Goring comes across as the least insane, least driven by hatred, most rational of the upper tier leaders.
Everything that I've read about Goring has lead me to the opinion that he was just a gangster who saw a great way to become as rich and powerful as he could. I would think that so-called white supremacist gangs like the Aryan Brotherhood would idolize Goring more than Hitler since they have so much in common.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Everything that I've read about Goring has lead me to the opinion that he was just a gangster who saw a great way to become as rich and powerful as he could. .
The Nazis were a Thugocracy, so all of the leadership may be characterized as gangsters to one degree or another.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Despite his later Nazi persona, Goring was a WW1 German pilot, who was decorated and showed that he was not afraid to risk his own life, in combat.

I agree that he took the "easy road " as a part of the Nazi leadership group, and indulged his own passion for the good life, fine wines, and stolen art work. And heroin.

Compared to some of the others, he was a less repulsive character, but still one who deserved the punishment that the court sentenced him to. Sadly he managed to swallow cyanide, and kill himself, rather than face the hang man. I think that he may have bribed a guard, to allow him to kill himself.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Compared to some of the others, he was a less repulsive character,
Sort of like Ariel Castro being less repulsive than Ted Bundy.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:58 PM

618 posts, read 938,763 times
they asked Goring why barbarossa failed and he said Hitler was sick in the summer of 41 therefore his genious was diluted. he said hitler should have attacked both Moscow and Ukraine in September not one at a time. The follow up should have been but the military did not have sufficient resources therefore it had nothing to do with hitlers lack of genius

Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I think it's important to remember that in this interview, like in almost all of the ones conducted post-war, Goering was playing to his audience. I find it very interesting to hear what he has to say, but I wouldn't take any of it as gospel. There was also a good deal of time where Goering was an outsider among Hitler's inner-circle and while he may be speaking to what he thought was correct or what his interpretation was, his words/views aren't necessarily those of Hitler and the other senior leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History