Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM

102,057 posts, read 106,854,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
14kyears was not the only migration, I believe one of the latest migrations was around 5,000 years or so.
The dating of the migrations is up for grabs, at the moment. Several sites in the Americas that date to 30,000 years ago were found decades ago, and brushed aside by the established orthodoxy. Tom Dillehay, who worked on the site in southern Chile says that not only did he get dates of 30,0000 yBP, when he dug deeper, he got even older remains. And a French researcher in Brazil has come up with very old dates for skulls that look more Neanderthal than Cro-Magnon or Homo Sapiens Sapiens. So we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out. Maybe some older dates will be found in Siberia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,004,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The dating of the migrations is up for grabs, at the moment. Several sites in the Americas that date to 30,000 years ago were found decades ago, and brushed aside by the established orthodoxy. Tom Dillehay, who worked on the site in southern Chile says that not only did he get dates of 30,0000 yBP, when he dug deeper, he got even older remains. And a French researcher in Brazil has come up with very old dates for skulls that look more Neanderthal than Cro-Magnon or Homo Sapiens Sapiens. So we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out. Maybe some older dates will be found in Siberia.
Sounds interesting.

Keep the forum posted.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,433,345 times
A hauntingly beautiful portrait of Selk´nam women, native Americans of Tierra del Fuego, Chile. This tribe of indigenous people were wiped out by genocide with settlement of their land by sheep ranches

these women show Mongol / Asian features
Attached Thumbnails
ever notice some full blooded Native Americans look Asian?-selk-nam.jpg  

Old 05-05-2015, 05:10 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,668,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
yeah but if we can establish that the Native Americans are not native.
Speaking of which, I stumbled upon this, saying that the Moors were the first Native Americans:

Response to Connection between the Moors and ancient civilization in the America's? :: Reader comments at Daniel Pipes

What do you think?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:51 PM

129 posts, read 249,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
A hauntingly beautiful portrait of Selk´nam women, native Americans of Tierra del Fuego, Chile. This tribe of indigenous people were wiped out by genocide with settlement of their land by sheep ranches

these women show Mongol / Asian features
beautiful. such a cold place to be wearing such little clothing tho lol.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 AM

43 posts, read 47,945 times
That's because some do have Asiatic blood in them. Other times it just climatic conditions.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I was taught in college that American Indians were Asians who migrated to the North American continent over a land bridge connecting Siberia, Alaska, & parts southward.
Don't know if that theory has been revisited or revised.
Therefore, technically, they are not "native Americans" since there were none. They were here before the whites, however.
That theory has been debunked not true at all.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
OMG, another armchair anthro class.
I was lucky enough to listen in on tons of scholarly archeology debates in my post college days. And one thing I learned was the scholarly glass towers are full of babbling egotistical idiots.
Getting tenured means you must get published, and getting published means you must learn to plagiarize effortlessly at will. Your career depends on it. But I digress.

Technically speaking is incorrect, it should be theoretically speaking, technically speaking, Hollytree, today's theory is tomorrow's doorstop textbook. You know, the one's the student bookstore refuses to buy back?

And before we begin, try and remember all the bony-nosed four-eyed geeks majoring in anthropology and archeology have their own forum for anthro's and archy's which make CDF P&OC threads look like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

First, the anthropology field is full of subfields and each is broken down into its own subfields. Linguistics, physical anthropology, cultural anthropology, and archeology are the four food groups.
I, your "Asian-looking" narrator majored in cultural anthro, but was kidnapped by a self-seeking band of archy's hell-bent on digging up Native American graves to feed their career. But, that's another story.

When were the America's settled. A simple answer is we don't know, any more than we know when Man became Man and not Ape, or Cro-Magnon, or Neanderthal. All science can go by was the latest archeological dig date and then let them argue that one for awhile. A better question for this thread would be how long before an asian starts looking like a buffalo-head nickel. My answer is never. We be red, they be yellow, you mixed up.

And therein lies just one of the many debates. Why are some sites in South America dated to 45K to 70K and in the Northern Hemishere the dates run to 13K? And why do some believe the clovis population was a different population from today's native populations altogether? Don't ask for a citation on that one. That converstation may have resulted over a bar tab bet.

And what about the Kennewick Man, he had facial skeletal features associated with European features.

For all we know, there was no ONE-WAY migration, nor can we conclusively state it was in three waves when the ice allowed. Because science can only theorize.

Who says we look like asian. Maybe asian look like native!

A linguistics course in college taught that there are over 400 tribes in the Americas and the linguists believe it would have taken 70,000 years in the Americas to disburse these major languages into various dialects.

DNA can not prove a migration. DNA can only prove samples containing dates from which anthropologists can form hypothesis that point to land bridge migration. If sea ice is locked up, the coastal archeological sites would now be underwater. And internet searches often reveal findings such as DNA confirms Atlantis with cro-magnon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/science/04fossil.html

To the white man, full bloods may look like asians, but to the native, it is always a white man's objective to prove something so he can take something away.
Well said my Red brother!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgansea View Post
to Redbird,

i often find it interesting that the Native Americans seem to hate the fact that they look like Asians or being identified as someone that looks Asian. I'm Asian and I was really fascinating by the similarities between some of the Native American tribes and Asians. I don't think the white people or anyone wants to take away the Native American category, but rather point out the interesting similarity. Sure, what identify us is our culture, and the Native American culture is different from the Asian culture in many ways (thought some of them share similarities as well), but that doesn't mean a person can't make a theory about how the two races or two types of people are more related than others. Besides, I found the theory that relates Native Americans to Asians to be fascinating. What if that's true, and with our common sense, it appears to be, shouldn't you wonder what brought your ancestors to the land of the unknowns?
Yeah but we are not from Asia.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I was taught in college that American Indians were Asians who migrated to the North American continent over a land bridge connecting Siberia, Alaska, & parts southward.
Don't know if that theory has been revisited or revised.
Therefore, technically, they are not "native Americans" since there were none. They were here before the whites, however.

Well you were taught a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History