Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times

Advertisements

especially some of the North American and the Alaskan tribes

I heard they followed the bufalo herds and ended up in north america
Attached Thumbnails
ever notice some full blooded Native Americans look Asian?-indians-094a.jpg  

Last edited by mr bolo; 05-04-2008 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 09:05 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
inuit woman and child
Attached Thumbnails
ever notice some full blooded Native Americans look Asian?-lc_inuit_sm.jpg  

Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,894,337 times
I was taught in college that American Indians were Asians who migrated to the North American continent over a land bridge connecting Siberia, Alaska, & parts southward.
Don't know if that theory has been revisited or revised.
Therefore, technically, they are not "native Americans" since there were none. They were here before the whites, however.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I was taught in college that American Indians were Asians who migrated to the North American continent over a land bridge connecting Siberia, Alaska, & parts southward.
Therefore, technically, they are not "native Americans" since there were none. They were here before the whites, however.

I believe the land bridge migration theory's been confoirmed by DNA testing.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
I never doubted that Native Americans are Asian.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
OMG, another armchair anthro class.
I was lucky enough to listen in on tons of scholarly archeology debates in my post college days. And one thing I learned was the scholarly glass towers are full of babbling egotistical idiots.
Getting tenured means you must get published, and getting published means you must learn to plagiarize effortlessly at will. Your career depends on it. But I digress.

Quote:
Technically speaking is incorrect, it should be theoretically speaking, technically speaking, Hollytree, today's theory is tomorrow's doorstop textbook. You know, the one's the student bookstore refuses to buy back?

And before we begin, try and remember all the bony-nosed four-eyed geeks majoring in anthropology and archeology have their own forum for anthro's and archy's which make CDF P&OC threads look like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

First, the anthropology field is full of subfields and each is broken down into its own subfields. Linguistics, physical anthropology, cultural anthropology, and archeology are the four food groups.
I, your "Asian-looking" narrator majored in cultural anthro, but was kidnapped by a self-seeking band of archy's hell-bent on digging up Native American graves to feed their career. But, that's another story.

When were the America's settled. A simple answer is we don't know, any more than we know when Man became Man and not Ape, or Cro-Magnon, or Neanderthal. All science can go by was the latest archeological dig date and then let them argue that one for awhile. A better question for this thread would be how long before an asian starts looking like a buffalo-head nickel. My answer is never. We be red, they be yellow, you mixed up.

And therein lies just one of the many debates. Why are some sites in South America dated to 45K to 70K and in the Northern Hemishere the dates run to 13K? And why do some believe the clovis population was a different population from today's native populations altogether? Don't ask for a citation on that one. That converstation may have resulted over a bar tab bet.

And what about the Kennewick Man, he had facial skeletal features associated with European features.

For all we know, there was no ONE-WAY migration, nor can we conclusively state it was in three waves when the ice allowed. Because science can only theorize.

Who says we look like asian. Maybe asian look like native!

A linguistics course in college taught that there are over 400 tribes in the Americas and the linguists believe it would have taken 70,000 years in the Americas to disburse these major languages into various dialects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I believe the land bridge migration theory's been confoirmed by DNA testing.
DNA can not prove a migration. DNA can only prove samples containing dates from which anthropologists can form hypothesis that point to land bridge migration. If sea ice is locked up, the coastal archeological sites would now be underwater. And internet searches often reveal findings such as DNA confirms Atlantis with cro-magnon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/science/04fossil.html

To the white man, full bloods may look like asians, but to the native, it is always a white man's objective to prove something so he can take something away.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:26 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Whoa Nellie, an Indian with a chip on his shoulder!

I said the land bridge migration was a THEORY, but it sounds like a good, plausible, logical, working one to me!!!

Any educated person understands that scientific theories evolve and change.

I believe there is also a current theory that South Pacific people reached the western shores of the US & S. America by water before the "Native Americans" reached N. America- so chew on that one.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
especially some of the North American and the Alaskan tribes

I heard they followed the bufalo herds and ended up in north america

I don't think they resemble Asians in the slightest
I see some what a similarity between The Native Americans, Alaskan tribes, South American Indians and native Hawaiians but don't think any of them look Asian

Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,088 times
The ties with Asia have been confirmed long ago. That said, I don't believe Asia was the exclusive "donor" of people to the Americas. Like redbird said, Kennewick man had some nice, honky-ish, European features. There are other European indicators floating around. Sure, floating. Clues pointing to Africa are being found all over South America - the place is lousy with them. And, sure, who is to say it was always one-way? This is part of why I bailed from Archaeology - too many idiots hell bent on the belief that mankind hop, skipped, and jumped over the land bridge into the Americas and that there was NO OTHER WAY. And, if you were to believe otherwise, then you got labeled as a fruitcake. Okay, enough of my ridiculous ranting. I'm going back to watching Hell's Kitchen. Now there's a productive way to spend one's time. Cheers to all who actually read these words!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:
Whoa Nellie, an Indian with a chip on his shoulder!
Whatever. Just tired of asinine statements, like "well they are not native americans since there were none..." Our tribe has its own culture and apparently, some folks just think we don't exist.

Quote:
I said the land bridge migration was a THEORY, but it sounds like a good, plausible, logical, working one to me!!!

Any educated person understands that scientific theories evolve and change.
Any educated person? Well well, puff puff, snooty aren't we? Thanks for the update.

Well, this uneducated person understands nomadic peoples move en masse, with a lot of smaller migrations and who knows, even individual movements hugging the coastlines.

We've always been told we look Phillipino, and on a trip to the Hawaiin islands, I had natives ask me if I was an islander.

Another interesting foot print to follow is a linguistic study. I have often wondered how the languages of the Americas compare with any of the languages across the asian land.

Quote:
I believe there is also a current theory that South Pacific people reached the western shores of the US & S. America by water before the "Native Americans" reached N. America- so chew on that one.
While I chew on that, take a bite of this. No one knows. People guess, then argue back and forth until the next theory comes along.

I think Man is an explorer by nature and I don't know why you would use a theory to say "native americans" don't exist, because so and so were here first, or they came from asia.

Just follow your thoughts and next thing you will sound like Obama's ex-preacher. By your logic, albeit tongue in cheek, there were no native americans because they came from somewhere else, then there are no asians, because THEY came from somewhere else, and there are no europeans because blah blah...and so on and so on.

Whatever. Culturally speaking, we have our Origin Legends and that is our collective identity. You can gather all the DNA evidence you want, but we have a tribe which we belong to and that is cool.

Most modern Americans have such a mixture of european ties, they no longer follow any of their traditions. Which I think is sad. I love cultural anthropology, and any and all cultures are interesting to me.

Even Indians with chips on their shoulders might teach you something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History