Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I didn't exist. Why do people tend to assume that everyone knows where they were or that they were even born when talking about an event almost 60 years ago? And the word is assassinated. Not whatever this is: assasanated.
Feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 PM

303 posts, read 128,337 times
Quote:
I didn't exist. Why do people tend to assume that everyone knows where they were or that they were even born when talking about an event almost 60 years ago? And the word is assassinated. Not whatever this is: assasanated.
I don't think anyone assumes that everyone else was alive 57 years ago. I think it was implied that only people old enough to remember where they were should reply. I suppose OP could have written the disclaimer, "This post is only for people old enough to remember where they were when JFK was assassinated. Thank you for your understanding", but they probably didn't think that was necessary.

Also, good work with pointing out the misspelling. That really contributed a lot to the thread.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:47 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
I was a sophomore in high school, having just finished lunch and walking across the parking lot from the cafeteria to science class. I can't remember if we shut down school until after the funeral or not, but I do recall local businesses bringing televisions into some classrooms (they did the same for early space launches). Televisions in school wasn't a "thing" in those days; now it's pretty standard.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Interesting in some ways. I was at work as a middle level engineer in a Xerox facility on Monroe Ave in Rochester NY. (Probably actually in Pittsford but it has been a while.)

Had an interaction with a friend, a coworker who was well to my right. He insisted that we not blame the right...and I agreed until we knew more.

The whole facility went into grey mode. Kennedy was popular even among those who were politically opposed to him. Sadness permeated the environment.

Then we went into the chaos mode as nobody seemed able to figure out what had happened. Very sad.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
In November of 1963 I was in a Texas junior high 170 miles southeast of Dallas. Classes had let out and my friend and I walked out to the street where my friend's mom was waiting for us in the family's 1956 turquoise and white 4-door Chevy Belair. As we got into back seat, we found my friend's mom crying as word of the President's assassination came over the car's AM radio.

I was too young then to understand what was happening to my country but in 1968 after I had joined the military, it became fairly clear that the best times of my youth were probably over.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:53 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
I don't think anyone assumes that everyone else was alive 57 years ago. I think it was implied that only people old enough to remember where they were should reply. I suppose OP could have written the disclaimer, "This post is only for people old enough to remember where they were when JFK was assassinated. Thank you for your understanding", but they probably didn't think that was necessary.

Also, good work with pointing out the misspelling. That really contributed a lot to the thread.
The subject matter of this thread comes up often for some reason. It's like people are obsessed with something that happened almost 60 years ago. Why bring it up frequently? The OP afraid people will forget?

Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
The subject matter of this thread comes up often for some reason. It's like people are obsessed with something that happened almost 60 years ago. Why bring it up frequently? The OP afraid people will forget?
How often? I’ve never seen a thread on it. Has the OP posted about it before? Why do you think the OP is obsessed?

Old 11-22-2020, 10:33 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
I was in Dallas, sitting behind a grassy knoll near the park. Thank Heavens that was before the proliferation of cell phones.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:15 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I was in college and had walked to the drug store to get some scotch tape. Boring.

Everyone stopped talking when the radio came on but I didn't know anything had happened so I left the store to head back to the dorm. Some guy hollered something to me from across the street. Back in the dorm, kids were huddled around but I just returned to my room to study. It was just before 2 in the afternoon.

Turned on my transistor radio and Walter Cronkite said something about the president being badly wounded. I thought, "if it's really bad, let him die rather than suffer or be a vegetable." Around 2:10 Walter Cronkite said the president was dead.

That's when I went out into the hallway and I realized why the other kids had been huddled together.

It didn't mean much to me except that I was worried that my new boyfriend would call and cancel our date, but when he called he said that it hadn't changed anything and we'd go out anyway. So I was really excited but when we went out, every restaurant and every movie was closed. I think we ate in a diner. So I had my wonderful date and it was in the ensuing years that I realized the impact of what had occurred. The end of an era in which we were happy and hopeful and excited about the future.

Old 11-23-2020, 05:10 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
I was sitting in my 11th grade English class when the rumor mill began to buzz with the news. We couldn't get any type of "official" notification of this tragic news because the school's P.A. system was inoperative, so rumors were all that we had, and many of us didn't want to believe unconfirmed information. Some of the rumors were wildly inaccurate and overstated, including that V.P. Lyndon Johnson had supposedly suffered a heart attack on hearing the news, and that the POTUS was now Speaker of The House John McCormick.

Finally, Harriet, one of the girls in my English class, raised her hand and tearfully asked the teacher if it was true that President Kennedy was dead. The teacher's incredibly insensitive response was, "Regardless... turn to page 42, Macbeth..."

I hadn't particularly liked that English teacher prior to that day, but on November 22nd, I lost all respect for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History