Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 02:26 PM

249 posts, read 332,328 times

Advertisements

I have an interest in "gay" history, that is the history of the the term itself and same sex attraction, love and sex.

I have several book on ***** theory that trace the history of "gayness" to some extent, but wanted to get recommendations of books that are historical on the subject.

What triggered my interest among other things is the current lgbt movement that keeps on adding others, such as *****, questioning and intersex and some would even argue the "T" for transgender. Some would also add "ally".

Any thoughts on gay history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 05:58 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Well, Louis XIV's younger brother Philippe I, Duke of Orleans was one historically notable gay person:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip...f_Orl%C3%A9ans

In spite of him being gay, he married twice and had several surviving children, including one surviving son. He was also the founder of the House of Orleans, which produced French King Louis Philippe and the subsequent Orleanist claimants to the French throne descended in the male line from him.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:06 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Same sex attraction dates back to Biblical times, and indeed the Good Book has a lot to say on the subject. (Spoiler alert: it's not depicted in flattering terms.) As for the term "gay," I remember when I was a child in the 1970s, I was made the butt of a joke that used "gay" as a synonym for "homosexual" instead of "happy." The fact that "happy" was the first thing that came to my mind at that time would suggest that the meaning as "homosexual" was still relatively young back then. But I've got nothing scholarly to back that up.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:23 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I suspect the thread will be locked or removed soon.

The appropriation of the word "gay" is recent, pretty much latter half of the 20th century.

The most commonly known society that had a homosexual component, were the Greeks - specifically the Spartans and Athenians. One could even argue that the military prowess of the Spartans was built upon the camaraderie and allegiance to their "halls" instead of the family unit.

Discussing ancient morality and culture related to sex and death gets beyond PG fairly fast.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Same sex attraction dates back to Biblical times, and indeed the Good Book has a lot to say on the subject. (Spoiler alert: it's not depicted in flattering terms.) As for the term "gay," I remember when I was a child in the 1970s, I was made the butt of a joke that used "gay" as a synonym for "homosexual" instead of "happy." The fact that "happy" was the first thing that came to my mind at that time would suggest that the meaning as "homosexual" was still relatively young back then. But I've got nothing scholarly to back that up.
Yeah, before the last several decades or so, gay people were called by other terms, such as fairies and buggers. Seriously.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:48 PM

There is a book I have, haven’t read it yet called same sex unions in premodern Europe. So yeah gay may be a term of contention, but I think that may be a good read, maybe even a r read.....

Old 12-15-2020, 06:50 PM

Default Fairies wear boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yeah, before the last several decades or so, gay people were called by other terms, such as fairies and buggers. Seriously.
Yeah.....

Old 12-15-2020, 07:00 PM

BTW, here's another notable figure in gay history; he was a 15th century nobleman and knight who got burned at the sake for his sodomy. His name? Dick Puller:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar..._von_Hohenburg

Old 12-15-2020, 07:06 PM

35,059 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You mean Sodom and Gomorrah?

Old 12-15-2020, 07:07 PM

Default Makes you wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
BTW, here's another notable figure in gay history; he was a 15th century nobleman and knight who got burned at the sake for his sodomy. His name? Dick Puller:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar..._von_Hohenburg
Interesting.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History