Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 10:32 PM

652 posts, read 511,400 times

Advertisements

In the midst of mass hunger, the French thought of ways to torture or kill one another. They were emboldened by newspaper writings. So they decided to do away with the monarchy. The French were enlightened so they decided to do away with the barbaric style of torture and introduced the gauntlet that was supposedly painless. But they decided to use this gauntlet at every whim. So again more and more killings. And in the midst of all this Marie Antoinette decided it was a good idea to show off her ostentatious outfits and hairstyles. Oh and King and Queen were basically captive in their own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 12:55 AM

15,976 posts, read 10,537,614 times
Wow. There are plenty of books on the topic in the library. Until then you might enjoy this: https://youtu.be/NeVJDd1XhIk

Old 12-28-2020, 07:07 AM

23,522 posts, read 69,925,450 times
Does this sum up the French Revolution?

No.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:17 AM

652 posts, read 511,400 times
I wasn't being literal. I was stating my disinterest for that time period. Tons of killings and suffering. And a King and Queen who were inept at handling the concerns of the masses which brought about their demise.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:10 AM

15,976 posts, read 10,537,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I wasn't being literal. I was stating my disinterest for that time period. Tons of killings and suffering. And a King and Queen who were inept at handling the concerns of the masses which brought about their demise.
Everyone's a critic. If you were the King, what would you have done under the circumstances? They tried escaping but were caught.

I'm reading a biography of Robespierre. There was method to his fanaticism and, unfortunately, he had the means to carry it out. His way or the highway -- or Guillotine, rather. Much of the horrendous things we think we know about him were attributed after he was executed.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:24 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,763,163 times
Quote:
In the midst of mass hunger, the French thought of ways to torture or kill one another. They were emboldened by newspaper writings. So they decided to do away with the monarchy. The French were enlightened so they decided to do away with the barbaric style of torture and introduced the gauntlet that was supposedly painless. But they decided to use this gauntlet at every whim. So again more and more killings. And in the midst of all this Marie Antoinette decided it was a good idea to show off her ostentatious outfits and hairstyles. Oh and King and Queen were basically captive in their own country.
Yikes, no. What you are mentioning is trivial to the true causes, which justify more than a short paragraph.
It's much too complex and, seriously, does Marie Antoinette's outfits and hairstyles even justify a mention as a cause?
"the gauntlet"? What the heck is that? You mean the guillotine?

And no mention of the American War of Independence as inspiration?

Old 12-28-2020, 01:33 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,763,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Everyone's a critic. If you were the King, what would you have done under the circumstances? They tried escaping but were caught.

I'm reading a biography of Robespierre. There was method to his fanaticism and, unfortunately, he had the means to carry it out. His way or the highway -- or Guillotine, rather. Much of the horrendous things we think we know about him were attributed after he was executed.
I've read about him, Robespierre. Not a biography however. Fanatic indeed, mass murderer probably, insane possibly. The French Revolution is an amazing time in history, and you can extend it to the Napoleonic period. It's like a perverse version of the American Independence from the monarchy. Everything that could go wrong in a revolution - chaos, mass executions, paranoia, police states, global war - did. And after millions in the world died, France ended up where it began - a monarchy.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:17 PM

8,874 posts, read 5,894,096 times
Quote:

If the gauntlet had spikes it might have been painful to be hit in the face with one. The guillotine solved that problem by just cutting off the head.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:21 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,001,470 times
Wasn't it Margaret Thatcher who summed it up to the then-President of France as "two million corpses and a new dictator"?

Old 12-28-2020, 03:26 PM

10,826 posts, read 7,199,634 times
Quote:
Why on earth would you start a thread to show your disinterest in something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History