Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 10:56 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to chime in to say that reading this and the previous threads have been pure pleasure. Much of it is a recap of what I already knew, but there are insights and skipping over of a lot of the dry slog needed to gain the knowledge. Further, the respect shown is refreshing compared to so many threads in other forums. Kudos to all.

(Vermont is a very special case, and even after years of study I find some of the motivations either opaque or covered in enough of a gloss to obfuscate them. As near as I can suss, the Republic was a holding pattern intended to wait out the major storms, see which way the wind was blowing, and set sail appropriately. The Allens were real estate speculators of a type. <speculating myself here>... Even with their political bent, Lake Champlain was the crown jewel of any development dream, and the Richelieu River is the only natural exit to an ocean, flowing north. Had the St Lawrence not been ice-bound for a significant portion of the year, or the United States poised to fail, cards might have been played for Vermont to join with Canada.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 11:32 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Maybe Britain just figured it was aboot time to do so?

Old 01-06-2021, 11:43 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Thank you. It's Wikipedia so I may seek out the underlying sources. This is another example of my ignorance about Canada.
You can double-check if you wish but the information there seems pretty good to me.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:13 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You can double-check if you wish but the information there seems pretty good to me.
Oh I am sure it is mostly good. I'm just curious about what else may have happened with the provincial expansions.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:31 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Canada is still a dominion. Who says it’s truly independent.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:31 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It seemed quite independent to me on every occasion that I’ve been there, in fact if it wasn’t for the fact that I can bulls**t in French, I think that Quebec would have rejected me at the border!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
The British learned.

One often overlooked event in the American Revolution was the Carlisle Peace Commission in 1778. They were authorized by the British government to offer self rule. They were also authorized to negotiate with the Continental Congress. Had this been done just two years earlier, things might have been very different, but by 1778, it was too late.
I asked an attorney friend in NYC if she’d heard of the Carlisle Peace Commission, maybe when she was at school.
She said no, but that she’d Googled it, and she said, “Jean, it sounds just like you were with my friend Joyce, a sweet talking limey who promised her the moon, and never called again.”

Old 01-06-2021, 06:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Slight correction, JBG: 1947 was the passage of the Canadian Citizenship Act, when Canadians were no longer British subjects. Canada had diplomatic missions abroad as early as 1927, when it established independent relations with the US through an embassy in Washington DC.

And Canada has always driven on the right (well, mostly, Newfoundland drove on the left until 1947, but it wasn't a Canadian province then), because the US does, and it just makes cross-border travel easier. Similarly, Canada rejected the idea of a pan-British-Empire pound as currency, because the US used decimalized dollars, and it was easier for Canada to trade with the US (its main trade partner, then as now) in dollars. The Canadian pound lasted 17 years (1841-1858); the Canadian dollar has existed since 1858 (162 years). True, Canadian and US dollars are not the same, and float against each other as they have for years, but at least we both understand decimalized currencies, rather than what pounds, shillings, and pence translate to in American dollars.

I mentioned in a message above about Canada's self-determination. These are two examples where Canada basically rejected Britain's expectations of what Canada would do, even prior to Canada becoming a country.
Not often I get to correct Chevy!

BC drove on the left until 1922.

https://www.newwestrecord.ca/local-n...e-1922-3227966

New Brunswick as well.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...laws-1.4925856

From the same article regarding PEI. Not sure why the article left out BC

"On Prince Edward Island — where automobiles weren't allowed full access to the roads until 1919 — the switch to right-hand traffic took place on May 1, 1924."

Old 01-06-2021, 07:50 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not often I get to correct Chevy!
Thanks, Nat! Happy to be corrected.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:12 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
It's interesting that the PM of Canada swears allegiance to "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen of Canada, her heirs and successors".

Maybe PM Justin crossed his fingers behind his back when he said it, and maybe it's more de jure than de facto, but such words don't line up with an American's idea of independence.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:10 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Canada has it's own political system and Government, own judicial system and runs it's own affairs.

Apart from having the Queen as Head of State, the UK has absolutely no power over Canada, nor do we want to.

Canada remains a very close ally, along with Australia, New Zealand etc, all of whom have a special relationship based on history and are part of thw anglosphere.

Whilst even closer relations are emerging in respect of trade and other areas may result now that the UK has left the EU.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-08-2021 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History