Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2021, 05:14 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I love Robert Caro. I admit I haven't read his enormous books, but I've read articles and love his interviews, and I just have so much respect for him. I love that he was so dogged. I love that he persevered despite financial hardship. I love his sense of humor.

I love that he loved as a child going to the NY Historical Society. Maybe more parents should drag their children to places like that.

A peek into Robert Caro's yellowed files
https://artdaily.com/news/131898/A-p...s#.YAYiFzmSmUk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 07:31 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I love Robert Caro. I admit I haven't read his enormous books, but I've read articles and love his interviews, and I just have so much respect for him. I love that he was so dogged. I love that he persevered despite financial hardship. I love his sense of humor.

I love that he loved as a child going to the NY Historical Society. Maybe more parents should drag their children to places like that.

I hope we see the last book in the Lyndon Johnson series soon. Caro has literally spent most of his life on this multi-volume biography. I worry sometimes he will die before it is done.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:41 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:

I thought he suffered financial hardship for a long stretch of his life, but I just finished his wife's book and apparently they were able to afford long trips to France every year. Good for them.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:52 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I thought he suffered financial hardship for a long stretch of his life, but I just finished his wife's book and apparently they were able to afford long trips to France every year. Good for them.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Caro didn't suffer financial "hardships" per se to point of being destitute; but same as others in same occupation Robert Caro's employment (writing) wasn't exactly high paying. Writers who don't come from money (such as Gore Vidal) have always had to watch their money until either they become famous, and or their efforts start bringing in money.

Mrs. Caro sold the couple's home and took a job teaching in order to allow Robert Caro to write his first big success "The Power Broker".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Caro

Old 01-24-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I hope we see the last book in the Lyndon Johnson series soon. Caro has literally spent most of his life on this multi-volume biography. I worry sometimes he will die before it is done.
Right, in interviews lately, he's joked in his self-deprecating way that people are anxiously inquiring about the LBJ book for fear he'll die.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:03 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
I took a public policy class in college. The main text for the course was Caro’s The Power Broker. The focus for the course was how Robert Moses wielded incredible power while doing an “end run around democracy.” He was never voted in to any office, iirc, was funded by the toll authority, and forever affected the lives of millions of people over a span of time that included numerous governors’ terms in office. That was a great course, and Caro’s The Power Broker is an amazing achievement.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:53 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
I would agree, now that you brought it up. I volunteered at our state archives and took my daughter with me on occasion. We worked together cataloging Civil War Union muster rolls— the originals filled out in the field with iron gall ink and folded up and stuffed in a soldier’s backpack. She was spellbound to be holding something that was so old and that had been to Vicksburg during the campaign, or wherever else during the war. The notations meant something as they often told what happened to the individual soldiers, by name — deserted, wounded, sick, captured, killed. They were sometimes graphic— shot through the neck, amputated leg. Discharged was good. When the movie Titanic was out she read the microfilmed newspaper accounts from 1912 and realized that some things in the movie were actually reported in the newspaper accounts. She gained an understanding of how history is made and reported and that it involved real people just doing normal things or caught up in huge events

Old 01-25-2021, 06:33 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
I just hope he finishes his Johnson biography before he goes to the Great Library in the Sky. I've been reading that since it first came out in the 1980s.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I took a public policy class in college. The main text for the course was Caro’s The Power Broker. The focus for the course was how Robert Moses wielded incredible power while doing an “end run around democracy.” He was never voted in to any office, iirc, was funded by the toll authority, and forever affected the lives of millions of people over a span of time that included numerous governors’ terms in office. That was a great course, and Caro’s The Power Broker is an amazing achievement.
I'm thinking that "amazing achievement" could apply to many of Caro's books - just the sheer amount of time and research and writing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History