Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

I used to work for several historic sites, and I can tell you the advantages of long skirts have over short skirts and pants.

First, let's all acknowledge change over time in history. Skirts went up and down. Men wore skirts and what we would consider dresses in some countries during some periods of history.

Secondly, let's acknowledge the role cultural beliefs played. In some historical periods, in some religions, it was considered immoral for women to show their legs because it would incite prurient interest by men, who were (and are still in some places) considered incapable of resisting the sight of the female form.

But anyway, when it comes to wearing long sleeves and long skirts: they can actually be COOLER than shorter skirts. and definitely cooler than pants. That's partly because the fabrics worn were natural fibers, and breathable. Partly because these longer sleeves and skirts trap moisture from sweat close to the skin and thus keep the skin cooler. And partly because you can get a nice updraft going from under a skirt and keep your nether regions breathing.

Ruffles on petticoats and skirts themselves are practical, because they can be removed as they get dirty and new ruffles can be sewn on.

Also, long skirts protect the legs against burrs, sharp grasses, sticks, and other things that can hurt your legs if you're wearing a short skirt or shorts.

Also, long skirts are easier and quicker to sew, especially by hand, than pants.

Because of my experience wearing long skirts in the spring/summer/fall at historic sites, I never wear pants or shorts in those seasons in my normal day to day life. i wear long flowing skirts. And I also wear loose, light, long sleeved tops. I do wear pants in the winter, and when hiking. And I ALWAYS wear natural fibers next to my skin, because it't the kind of fiber you wear, more than anything, that determines whether or not you stink. (You have never lived until you've smelled a group of tourists wearing polyester in Iowa in the summertime. Gagggggg!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 02:42 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know this is not a heavy historical subject, but it has always bugged me WHY women's skirts dragged along the ground in the olden days. What on earth was the point of that?

Or is it just in the movies, lol. All these scenes of women walking through mud puddles, horse manure, pastures, what-have-you with material dragging along behind them to pick up every stick, thistle, or trip them up if it caught on something. It could be dangerous, even.

And without washing machines. Just deliberately getting the hems completely torn and dirty.

Was it a fashion statement of "Look at me, I'm so rich and cool I can destroy my nice dress" or what?

Inquiring minds want to know! (I debated putting this in "fashion", LOL)
I think it was more "look at me, I'm so rich and cool I don't have to do anything that will ruin my dress."

There are two things at play IMO.

One is that many modern folk look at Victorian Morality and Modesty norms and backdate them about 800-1000 years. The whole "ankle showing" trope is something of a myth.

I think that some of that has to do with the Victorian period's melding of the pre-industrial revolution Europe with the modern era, and that it was the first era that was heavily photographed regularly. Do not forget that they sanitized Shakespeare, and even historical texts like "The History and Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" were expurgated.

The other is that portraits and whatnot often depict wealthier folks in their finery, not commoners going about their daily life.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I live in an area with a high concentration of Muslims. My neighbor wears a full burka including face mask and the burka is black. She doesn't seem that uncomfortable.

I have seen 19th-century dresses where buttons and loops hold up the full skirt when attached and the women let them down when they are indoors.

Women wore "high topped" shoes for everyday. There were no laces and were fastened by buttons. Only the uber rich wore those slippers at dances and they changed their shoes at the premises.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:13 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know this is not a heavy historical subject, but it has always bugged me WHY women's skirts dragged along the ground in the olden days. What on earth was the point of that?

Or is it just in the movies, lol. All these scenes of women walking through mud puddles, horse manure, pastures, what-have-you with material dragging along behind them to pick up every stick, thistle, or trip them up if it caught on something. It could be dangerous, even.

And without washing machines. Just deliberately getting the hems completely torn and dirty.

Was it a fashion statement of "Look at me, I'm so rich and cool I can destroy my nice dress" or what?

Inquiring minds want to know!(I debated putting this in "fashion", LOL)
Because of the taboo against seeing women's legs. I knew someone who had a grandmother known as "the girl with the daring ankles."

Besides, surely you know that common sense rarely had anything to do with women's fashions. Why do women wear 4-inch heels now?

Old 06-22-2021, 04:37 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Because of the taboo against seeing women's legs. I knew someone who had a grandmother known as "the girl with the daring ankles."
To be clear, it was only bare ankles that were scandalous - most women wore stockings and it was not taboo to show a stocking covered ankle. Obviously, fashion and social conventions varied by the era as well, but that was the general rule.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:15 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
To be clear, it was only bare ankles that were scandalous - most women wore stockings and it was not taboo to show a stocking covered ankle. Obviously, fashion and social conventions varied by the era as well, but that was the general rule.
Yes, I've read that a trim, well turned ankle was a desirable trait in a young maiden. I'm guessing their suitors didn't wait until the wedding night to check out a girls ankles.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Besides, surely you know that common sense rarely had anything to do with women's fashions. Why do women wear 4-inch heels now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
From what I've read the ankles, bare or covered, as a benchmark for modesty, doesn't have much of a historical precedent. It came about during Victorian times. That era saw a lot of nouveau riche, that were anxious not to be seen as such, and as such came up with some of these odd standards that promoted a high level of modesty.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:11 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I used to work for several historic sites, and I can tell you the advantages of long skirts have over short skirts and pants.

First, let's all acknowledge change over time in history. Skirts went up and down. Men wore skirts and what we would consider dresses in some countries during some periods of history.

Secondly, let's acknowledge the role cultural beliefs played. In some historical periods, in some religions, it was considered immoral for women to show their legs because it would incite prurient interest by men, who were (and are still in some places) considered incapable of resisting the sight of the female form.

But anyway, when it comes to wearing long sleeves and long skirts: they can actually be COOLER than shorter skirts. and definitely cooler than pants. That's partly because the fabrics worn were natural fibers, and breathable. Partly because these longer sleeves and skirts trap moisture from sweat close to the skin and thus keep the skin cooler. And partly because you can get a nice updraft going from under a skirt and keep your nether regions breathing.

Ruffles on petticoats and skirts themselves are practical, because they can be removed as they get dirty and new ruffles can be sewn on.

Also, long skirts protect the legs against burrs, sharp grasses, sticks, and other things that can hurt your legs if you're wearing a short skirt or shorts.

Also, long skirts are easier and quicker to sew, especially by hand, than pants.

Because of my experience wearing long skirts in the spring/summer/fall at historic sites, I never wear pants or shorts in those seasons in my normal day to day life. i wear long flowing skirts. And I also wear loose, light, long sleeved tops. I do wear pants in the winter, and when hiking. And I ALWAYS wear natural fibers next to my skin, because it't the kind of fiber you wear, more than anything, that determines whether or not you stink. (You have never lived until you've smelled a group of tourists wearing polyester in Iowa in the summertime. Gagggggg!)
To add to that, wool is a weird fiber that can be warm in winter and yet surprisingly comfortable (even if not cool) in summer. When I was in high school our old band uniforms were Sgt. Pepper era heavy wool. The weight was more an issue than the heat or cold. When I was a district manager in Miami FL, the standard outfit for managers and myself was a good grade wool blend suit. The jacket could be warm, but the pants never were. The tourists in short sleeves and shorts suffered more, between the blazing near-equitorial sun and high humidity. Getting a sunburn never helps if you want to be cool.

People have various reactions to heat and cold, depending on acclimatization, thyroid levels, age, and other factors. I generally switch to short sleeves only during the very hottest times. Having lived in south Florida for years, I know that a mild warmth from long sleeves during May and most of June make the short sleeves in July/August work better for me. YMMV

Old 06-23-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
To add to that, wool is a weird fiber that can be warm in winter and yet surprisingly comfortable (even if not cool) in summer. When I was in high school our old band uniforms were Sgt. Pepper era heavy wool. The weight was more an issue than the heat or cold. When I was a district manager in Miami FL, the standard outfit for managers and myself was a good grade wool blend suit. The jacket could be warm, but the pants never were. The tourists in short sleeves and shorts suffered more, between the blazing near-equitorial sun and high humidity. Getting a sunburn never helps if you want to be cool.

People have various reactions to heat and cold, depending on acclimatization, thyroid levels, age, and other factors. I generally switch to short sleeves only during the very hottest times. Having lived in south Florida for years, I know that a mild warmth from long sleeves during May and most of June make the short sleeves in July/August work better for me. YMMV
I agree. Having worked in Texas, the Carolinas and Virginia in a suit, I can't say that I've ever been notably more uncomfortable in one than wearing shorts and a t-shirt. For bugs I usually wear long sleeves and pants in the summer here even walking the dog.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:15 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Limbs, please !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History