Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 04:01 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
Have any of you actually shot an M38 Italian Carcano of that vintage? I use to own one.

it is a terrible rifle. Clunky, crude, crappy trigger and a bolt that is very difficult to operate quickly. Topped with that dinky little 4 power scope with a VERY narrow field of view and yeah...those shots are VERY hard to make.

If he had a 1903 Springfield, K98 Mauser or maybe a Swiss K-31...yeah...I could believe him making those shots. Also, if he had a commercial sporter bolt gun of the times, like a Winchester Model 70 with a modern sporting scope with a larger field of view and better magnification...ok I might buy it.

However, he used one of the worst bolt action rifles of that era and a scope that is barely usable for squirrels at 25yds.

Sorry...not buying that Oswald made those shots. Not sure who did...but I seriously doubt it was that man with that rifle.
Yes I own one as I discussed previously. My experience is just the opposite. The action is smooth, it is lightweight, and accurate up to about 300 yards. Easy to manage. For Oswald it would be relatively easy, because of the size, to bring into the TSDB and simply say they are curtain rods. The 4 power scope that Oswald had was not stock, I assume you know that if you own one. It was side mounted allowing him to still use the iron sites, I assume you would know that as well. Many suspect he did just that.

I also one a K98 and K31. Being a collector, I own just about every nations' military rifle of WWII, I fire them all. The K31 is a work of art indeed, the K98 is a model for all bolt actions. But these are heavier weapons, larger caliber rounds, more recoil, designed to shoot outwards of 300 yards and farther. Heck the K31 can reach out and touch someone out to half a mile. That was overkill for Oswald's purposes and range. Carcanos get a bad name because of the failures of the Italian military in WWII. That is unfortunate as well, they were badly led troops - blame the leaders, not the soldiers or the tools they used.

I think I remember discussing this with someone who was having trouble with there Carcano before, maybe you. The problem today's users have with it is using modern ammunition with it, the crap ammo manufactured in Serbia or wherever it is, along with the clips. I had trouble as well - they just don't follow exact italian specs and the clips were designed to be thrown out, not reused. You have to bend the clips just so...yeah, I been there. I overcame the difficulty with modern ammo and clips. Oswald had the fortune of having WWII surplus Italian ammo, original clips. No problemo. Wish I could get some today.

Sorry you had trouble with your rifle, too bad I couldn't help you out earlier. I mentioned also they are still used today in combat zones in Syria and Libya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 05:19 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I found something of interest regarding the weapon. Texas A&M did an analysis of the bullet type using modern forensic methods.

https://science.tamu.edu/news/2007/0...assassination/

Their results were printed in this paper strongly suggesting the possibility of a second shooter.

https://www.projecteuclid.org/journa...7-AOAS119.full

Old 07-16-2021, 08:20 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
What do we gain from finding out the answer? How will it change our plans or even our vote tomorrow? A bit of pragmatism, please.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:49 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
Have any of you actually shot an M38 Italian Carcano of that vintage? I use to own one.

it is a terrible rifle. Clunky, crude, crappy trigger and a bolt that is very difficult to operate quickly. Topped with that dinky little 4 power scope with a VERY narrow field of view and yeah...those shots are VERY hard to make.

If he had a 1903 Springfield, K98 Mauser or maybe a Swiss K-31...yeah...I could believe him making those shots. Also, if he had a commercial sporter bolt gun of the times, like a Winchester Model 70 with a modern sporting scope with a larger field of view and better magnification...ok I might buy it.

However, he used one of the worst bolt action rifles of that era and a scope that is barely usable for squirrels at 25yds.

Sorry...not buying that Oswald made those shots. Not sure who did...but I seriously doubt it was that man with that rifle.
Not buying it either. Plus 1 for you.

PS Curious - why did you even own one of those?

Old 07-17-2021, 01:45 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Over the years there have been too many things which have not been explained properly and satisfactorily and official "investigations" are often whitewashes. For example things like 9/11, the Iraq war, MKULTRA, and really there appear to be many 'bad men' who are doing 'bad things' for their own greedy and selfish ends.

Almost every year there are events which just defy explanation and recently the death of Epstein in prison makes everyone suspicious due to the huge list of very rich people who could have been incriminated. Now everyone is watching to see what will happen to Maxwell as she probably also knows what went on. The events like this continue to happen until we say, as a group, "this is enough".

I reckon the people have lost confidence in the government agencies and in the richer sections of society who appear to think they can manipulate the truth.

Who did what will probably never be known, but I suspect Diana was the subject of a hit (because the certain sections of the British elite did not want the mother of a future King to be married to a muslim), and probably JFK was a hit too.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The same guy who said he saw Oswald at the range, also said he saw him get in a car and drive away. Seriously?

That’s very problematic. Oswald can’t drive, nor did he even have the use of a car.

Phony Warren Commission testimony?

Anyway, that whole testimony that Oswald was practicing doesn’t hold up in my view. Which would mean he wasn’t proficient enough to make the shots.

But you know who that might’ve been? It could’ve been Harvey Lee, or Alik Hidell, or whatever his real name was. There is a body double Oswald theory that I’m sure everyone is fully aware of. A body double makes it very easy to set up Lee Harvey.

I don’t believe that theory, but I still stand by my assertion that Oswald was incapable of making that shot.

So do you want to accuse me of moving the goal posts again? Even though that’s what I’ve stated all along?
If Oswald didn't shoot JFK than please explain to me why when he was confronted by Police Officer JD Tippetts, he shot and killed him in the presence of eyewitnesses and fled into a movie theater. This was all minutes after the JFK assassination occurred.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:18 AM

6,103 posts, read 3,338,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If Oswald didn't shoot JFK than please explain to me why when he was confronted by Police Officer JD Tippetts, he shot and killed him in the presence of eyewitnesses and fled into a movie theater. This was all minutes after the JFK assassination occurred.
Was he actually “confronted” by Tippit, though? Tippit exited his vehicle, after he supposedly saw Oswald on the sidewalk, without drawing his firearm. Why?

You’ve got a guy who supposedly just killed the President, you see that guy, and you exit your vehicle without drawing your weapon? Come on man.

In addition to that problem, there is a timeline issue. Oswald was seen at his house 16 minutes before Tippit was shot, roughly a mile away. 16 minutes is plausible to walk somewhat briskly and make it a mile. But there is serious doubt about Tippit’s actual time of death. He wasn’t killed immediately before a bystander made the radio call. That witness said Tippit was actually shot a few minutes before he tried to call. The guy said he was worried about being shot, that’s why he waited to make the call.

So now we are talking about 10 minutes, not 16.

Also, after killing Tippit, whoever it was, did not flee the scene right away. He manually ejected the spent cartridges. Why?

Tippit, Ruby, and Oswald may have even knew each other, and met during the planning phase of this whole thing. I’m not convinced of this claim though, but many people believe it.

Lastly, the witnesses were all over the place. One said there were two guys talking to Tippit, another one said he wasn’t Oswald, and one woman initially said it wasn’t Oswald, but later changed her mind after seeing Oswald’s photo.

I’m straight up telling everyone, there are massive problems with every single facet of this thing, from before it happened, and many years into the future.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:25 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What do we gain from finding out the answer? How will it change our plans or even our vote tomorrow? A bit of pragmatism, please.
What do we gain from deciding how much we can trust our government? That seems basically pragmatic to me, jb.

The answer to the problem occurred in the past but it's implications echo in the present.

It's an odd question from you as I know that you have a devotion to understanding and wonder about issues of morality and the direction of human society.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:41 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Crackpot threads gonna crackpot.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:23 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Oh gawd. These conspiracy theories have been discussed for years with no credible conclusions everywhere and on City Data.
There is plenty of evidence that Oswald did not act alone. You're just too dense to see it or hear it. You are a sheep. Even all of those on that grassy knoll stated and I mean every, shots fired from here. Even the video of Kennedy getting shot shows his brains being blow out from the front side. But to me the evidence is "who shot Oswald" That is all you really need to know. Jack Ruby, that he was in love with JFK, must kill killer. BS, the man was a mobster from Chicago, who was sent to Dallas to open rackets and payoff cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History