Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 02:23 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times

Advertisements

I was watching a video on youtube about Vlad the Impaler. In the video he showed a map that had what looked like a little country inside of Hungary called Amlas. I tried finding out about it but couldnt find anything that matched that time frame? Does anyone have any idea what it is?

Link to the video if it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtCjc5OwBi4
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone heard of Amlas?-amlas.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 07:21 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
It wasn't a country, it was a town/village/city that was destroyed by Vlad III Tepes during his rise to power. There isn't much online about it, but I do remember reading about it years ago in a book about Vlad the Impaler (Sorry, but I don't remember the title of the book).

The only reference I can find online is this one, which is pretty basic:
https://www.executedtoday.com/2010/0...acula-impaled/

ETA: There is some question about exactly how brutal Vlad was. While it's evident that he executed multiple people via impaling, it's also speculated that his detractors may have made up some of the stories to turn people against him.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:57 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It wasn't a country, it was a town/village/city that was destroyed by Vlad III Tepes during his rise to power. There isn't much online about it, but I do remember reading about it years ago in a book about Vlad the Impaler (Sorry, but I don't remember the title of the book).

The only reference I can find online is this one, which is pretty basic:
https://www.executedtoday.com/2010/0...acula-impaled/

ETA: There is some question about exactly how brutal Vlad was. While it's evident that he executed multiple people via impaling, it's also speculated that his detractors may have made up some of the stories to turn people against him.
Good to know, thanks. The main reason I was interested in it was because from the map it looks like it was a small country and it was completely surrouneded by Hungary. It wouldnt be the first time that a country was completed encased inside another country and I was interested in how it became like that. Your explanation throws that idea out the window now. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I am not familiar with Amlas either, but that's the way medieval rule worked - you had a number of city-states even within a defined kingdom that operated either totally independent or semi-independent (maybe as a vassal state) to the crown of that kingdom. They would usually be centered around a castle stronghold. If a vassal, they would give tribute to the superior state for both protection and to be left alone.
But it was also an unstable time and these little city states were continuously popping up and then dissapearing - with that region recovering from the Mongol invasion and being at the crossroads of Christianity and the Ottoman Emprie. I think also there was a civil war in Hungary in the 12th or 13th century.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:30 PM

908 posts, read 441,790 times
The answers given by others seem to be pretty on spot OP , but for the sake of additional information I'll throw a few more tidbits in .

To my understanding Amlas was a duchy ( https://books.google.hu/books?id=wjd...0amlas&f=false ) much like Fagaras that existed as a sort of vassal state of the Kingdom of Hungary .

The Banate of Severin ( https://alchetron.com/Banate-of-Severin ) is another polity that seems to have had similar status to these two duchies , with a very explicit frontier march aspect to it , what with it having been given to the Knights Hospitallers by Béla IV with the intention of them guarding it against foreign excursions IIRC .

I must say that the history of what's commonly referred to as Transylvania is a very fascinating subject , which is precisely why it's a pity that a large amount of historical sources concerning it are either unavailable in the English language and/or biased in favor of particular schools of historical thought .

Anyways I hope this post has been of some help to you and I may post some more historical sources if I manage to dig them up .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History