Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 10,208 times

Advertisements

I once heard someone respond to a question like this with "back in the day, we had real drugs, not this synthetic s__t that you have now". I thought it was funny, and nowadays, you can add "made in China" (i.e., fentanyl).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 07:27 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
In my experience the people that used the most recreational drugs(not addicts) would now be 60 to 75 years old. They were cheap, available, and people shared.

Cocaine was different. It wasn't done as openly as other drugs were. You might see an occasional line done in a bar restroom.

I seldom saw anyone shoot up. Only at parties in people's homes and they weren't the nicest homes. Always seemed to be a lower class thing.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Coke was very popular in the late 80’s and early 90’s around the DC metro area. Not uncommon to see it at keg parties, dance clubs, bars. Very common and available.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:30 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Coke was very popular in the late 80’s and early 90’s around the DC metro area. Not uncommon to see it at keg parties, dance clubs, bars. Very common and available.
Yes, in the '80s, everyone I knew did coke. Some people got really messed up on it. Most people I knew mostly did it on Friday night, stayed up all night talking fast and not listening to each other, or bought it for special occasions like weddings. "Recreationally", as they say. Most of us outgrew it over time and with the onset of parenthood and other adult responsibilities. Some, as already stated, did not, or could not.

Cocaine speeds up your heartbeat. It's not really a drug of choice for aging people the way weed and its derivatives are.

I've never done LSD, and my partner did lots of acid in the 70, but never did coke at all, probably because he was a parent in the early 80s and didn't have the disposable income to snort money up his nose.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:33 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
In my experience the people that used the most recreational drugs(not addicts) would now be 60 to 75 years old. They were cheap, available, and people shared.

Cocaine was different. It wasn't done as openly as other drugs were. You might see an occasional line done in a bar restroom.

I seldom saw anyone shoot up. Only at parties in people's homes and they weren't the nicest homes. Always seemed to be a lower class thing.
I'm in that age group but I never did anything except smoke weed a long time ago. I knew someone who tried LSD once and he said it really helped him--I think he meant it helped him to better understand things.

I never knew anyone else who took anything except a boyfriend back around 1980 or so who tried coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History