Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

The battle at Stones River ended.

John Wilder's men armed themselves with Spencers.

The Tullahoma Campaign happened in June.

Vicksburg fell.

Chickamauga happened in September. The 2nd bloodiest battle of the war.... Lee sent Longstreet. He showed up. Lincoln sent Burnside. He got himself bottled up in Knoxville & was a no-show

The Army of the Cumberland was trapped in Chattanooga.

Hooker was sent with the 11th & 12th Corps. Grant & Sherman were sent sent to help.

The "Cracker Line." was opened.

Lookout Mountain & Missionary Ridge were Grant's attempt to glorify Sherman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 AM

Gettysburg has been discussed to death. What are your views on Chickamauga? Should Wood have refused to move? Ambrose Bierce called it a battle over control of a road. What do you think of that? What about the attack delay on Sunday morning?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I think had Wood stayed in place Longstreet would've rolled right over him anyway. Longstreet attacked in great strength with a column and the nature of the terrain and vegetation favored column over line at the Brotherton farm.

Rosecrans had left his right very weak, only the divisions of Wood, Davis and Sheridan covering an area from the Brotherton farm to the area west of the Vinard farm. No way Longstreet would've been stopped.

In retrospect on the night of the first day or early on the second Rosecrans should've moved his right to the left and into a position similar to the one eventually held by Thomas late on the second day. As it was he tried to move his right to the left while under attack and everything flew apart.

I think Thomas is somewhat to blame here, I think he could've held his position without calling on Rosecrans for more troops; his calls for help rattled Rosecrans and led to the vast confusion in Federal command. It's still Rosecran's fault of course, he was in command and should have rode over to Thomas and seen for himself what was going on.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think had Wood stayed in place Longstreet would've rolled right over him anyway. Longstreet attacked in great strength with a column and the nature of the terrain and vegetation favored column over line at the Brotherton farm.

Rosecrans had left his right very weak, only the divisions of Wood, Davis and Sheridan covering an area from the Brotherton farm to the area west of the Vinard farm. No way Longstreet would've been stopped.

In retrospect on the night of the first day or early on the second Rosecrans should've moved his right to the left and into a position similar to the one eventually held by Thomas late on the second day. As it was he tried to move his right to the left while under attack and everything flew apart.

I think Thomas is somewhat to blame here, I think he could've held his position without calling on Rosecrans for more troops; his calls for help rattled Rosecrans and led to the vast confusion in Federal command. It's still Rosecran's fault of course, he was in command and should have rode over to Thomas and seen for himself what was going on.
Good ponts, Tom. had Rosecrans consolidated on Snodgrass Hill, I think that the result would have been quite different.

I think that one of the biggest mistakes was leaving Johnson's Division exposed on the right on Saturday. When they were put in on Saturday, they went in on a bayonet charge & had driven the Confederate forces. Leaving them there made Cleburne's night attack easier than it would have been had they been pulled back to the rest of the line, which they were, after the night attack. I would have to fault Johnson for that. He knew it, mentioned it, & didn't followup.

prebattle:

Story of Chicamauga Part 1

battle:

Story of Chicamauga Part 2

Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I think Chickamauga is the most difficult battle of the war to follow and understand, it was such a ding-dong affair and the way the Federal units got all mixed up.

I've read all the proper books and been over the ground several times and I still scratch my head.

I love the image of Polk having a nice breakfast and reading the newspaper while Bragg fumed.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think Chickamauga is the most difficult battle of the war to follow and understand, it was such a ding-dong affair and the way the Federal units got all mixed up.

I've read all the proper books and been over the ground several times and I still scratch my head.

I love the image of Polk having a nice breakfast and reading the newspaper while Bragg fumed.
Ding Dong affair is right! Polk's breakfast is a great image......

I started with Dodge's brigade. A great-great-great uncle was captured from the 30th Indiana. I read Dodge's post-war account, followed the prisoners to Atlanta, then Richmond, then Danville, & on to Andersonville.

Then I went back to the official records, trying to systematicly read them, starting with Dodge, then the rest of Johnson's division, followed by other regiments & brigades who were nearby, as well as Confederate reports & eventually the picture got clearer.....pure chaos. I think the trick is to pick a focal point. Unfortunately the picture will be the same..........chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History