Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:51 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

What's in a name (or title), right?
I mean the most brutal dictators insisted that their subjects called them benevolent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I don't know that much about Hitler so I am asking...would Hitler have wanted to carry a title that indicated an inherited (rather then earned or taken depending on how you look at it)position associated with the arisotcracy?

One of these days I'm going to have a Rottweiller named Kaiser, I just had to share that.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM

I guess der Adolf wants to present himself as a self-made man; someone who reached his position on his own strength.
Given his experience as a soldier in WWI I would only find this logical. It might even explain his hatred for the Jews.
Every rank and file soldier knows that the brass will not personally risk their own lives if they don't have to, they'd rather sacrifice the lives of the common soldier instead. Since officers are mostly made up of educated men it would not be illogical to find that many German Jews would have been officers instead of a common soldier since they had always been educated people.
So because most Jews were rich enough to afford themselves a good education I would not find it illogical that Hitler resented those people who in his eyes were 'spineless' leaders; people who only had a higher rank than him because of their privileges (and their education) instead of individual bravery.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
If so, then he would have encountered the Junkers and the non-Jewish German aristocracy as well.

Its a huge leap to see some people in positions above you and then a few decades later condemn them to the gas chamber. Thus, his hatred of Jews was rooted in something much bigger. What that was remains a mystery. There are many theories, but no hard facts.

For instance, the Hitler family doctor was Jewish and young Adolf liked him enough to send him handmade cards. But some theorize that when his mother died, he may have blamed him and snapped.

Who knows?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moth
Quote:
If so, then he would have encountered the Junkers and the non-Jewish German aristocracy as well.
True, but everyone knows that it is easier to bully minorities instead of the majority.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Wasn't Hitler's mother Jewish?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Yes she was

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by MICoastieMom
Quote:
So?
The Jews still are a minority, especially when they don't live in Israel.
Then again Israel is a minority when it is the only non-Muslim country in the Middle East.
But even being a minority doesn't give the Israelis the right to treat Palestinians the way the Nazis treated the Jews during WWII.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:29 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
So? So the fact that his (Jewish) mother died after being treated by a Jewish doctor doesn't adequately explain in my mind his hatred of Jews. Sounds like self-loathing to me. I think a more plausible explanation is rooted in his failed attempts to become an artist and his rejection at art school. He resented those who thrived in the bohemian world, those who supported the fine arts (wealthy patrons), and any educated person who had an independent thought. Remember, not only Jews went to concentration camps. He also targeted gypsies, artists and writers and intellectuals, Jesuit priests, anyone who could pose a challenge he viewed as a threat. And anyone he considered defective; many, many people with physical or mental handicaps. Which may have given rise to the insidous research of Dr. Josef Mengele.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Yes she was
No.

There is some question as to who was Hitler's paternal grandfather and rumors of a Jewish line followed. While these are intriguing, there is simply no concrete proof that Hitler had any Jewish lineage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History