Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Let's see. William Howard Taft...Good president or bad one?

Now, you guys come up with a topic. Add to this thread, and when one proves promising we'll talk about it. But I'm getting really tired of rehashing the 60s, the 70s, Operation Barbarossa and black Egyptians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let's see. William Howard Taft...Good president or bad one?

Now, you guys come up with a topic. Add to this thread, and when one proves promising we'll talk about it. But I'm getting really tired of rehashing the 60s, the 70s, Operation Barbarossa and black Egyptians.
cpg35223,

I agree, the board is getting a little tired. I've been thinking about a topic like:
Little-Known Events in History. It could cover any period. I have one subject in mind that I've been mulling over. I'm sure that many others have unusual stories, anecdotes, and curiosities from history that might not be generally known.

For instance, here is a little-known fact about President Taft that I read in The People's Almanac: Howard Taft was such a huge man that, to accommodate him, a special bathtub had to be installed in the White House. It was large enough to hold four normal-sized men.
John

Old 05-15-2008, 05:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I heard that William Howard Taft actually got stuck in the White House bathtub once, resulting in the replacement tub you mentioned.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
There were many firsts for the Presidents....

In 1910, President Taft began the tradition of tossing out the first ball of the major league baseball season, at Griffith Stadium, Washington, D.C......In 1999, future President Bush began the tradition of tossing out the first ballot of the voting season in several counties in Florida.... Just kidding. What other firsts can you think of?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:07 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I heard that William Howard Taft actually got stuck in the White House bathtub once, resulting in the replacement tub you mentioned.
I think you are correct that he did get stuck in the bathtub. Apparently, he was a jolly, good-natured president. It's said that he had the "most effective chuckle in the history of politics." Theodore Roosevelt said: "Taft meant well, but he meant well feebly."

Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
I realize the topic is shaping up into Presidents, but before we leave the bathtub, this is a creatively presented article on the story of the bathtub of the USS Maine (remember the Maine?)

Bathtub of the USS Maine, Findlay, Ohio

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Excellent idea Some things just get done to death!!! I have a few thoughts I'll contribute later.....So far, some really interesting suggestions

Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Yeah those "what's it like in the 60's" posts are driving me crazy. Every response is "the air was prefumed with marijuana smoke and the sound of rebellion"...like a bad movie. Like the saying goes - If you remember the 60's, you weren't there.

Anyways I am all for more Civil War topics, but more specialized, not general "what are the origins of the civil war" which tends to bring out the revisionist history kooks, but like - seige tactics in the civil war, - the impact of canister artillery, - Jackson's valley campaign...but then you get very few people that are really aware of the details to discus topic intellegently (but I've had good discussion on the civil war with a few here the know their stuff).

Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah those "what's it like in the 60's" posts are driving me crazy. Every response is "the air was prefumed with marijuana smoke and the sound of rebellion"...like a bad movie. Like the saying goes - If you remember the 60's, you weren't there.

Anyways I am all for more Civil War topics, but more specialized, not general "what are the origins of the civil war" which tends to bring out the revisionist history kooks, but like - seige tactics in the civil war, - the impact of canister artillery, - Jackson's valley campaign...but then you get very few people that are really aware of the details to discus topic intellegently (but I've had good discussion on the civil war with a few here the know their stuff).
That one is on my list,too...to see if it has run it's course!!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
cpg35223,

I agree, the board is getting a little tired. I've been thinking about a topic like:
Little-Known Events in History. It could cover any period. I have one subject in mind that I've been mulling over. I'm sure that many others have unusual stories, anecdotes, and curiosities from history that might not be generally known.

For instance, here is a little-known fact about President Taft that I read in The People's Almanac: Howard Taft was such a huge man that, to accommodate him, a special bathtub had to be installed in the White House. It was large enough to hold four normal-sized men.
John
John, That is an interesting idea. It could be posted as a "sticky" and then have another "sticky" for discussions about the posts. Look over in the Book Forum to see how they did it for books. Let's hear more thought on this, we could really "Liven up" this Forum with "real" history A thought I had was for a topic was: "On This Day in History"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History