Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 01:12 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
And none of those situations are considered "intimate" so that is a difference. It is a major turn-off if you want to get intimate with someone and you get a whiff of a stinky armpit or stinky "down there".
I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly so, that oral sex wasn't a thing back in "ancient" times? Especially when regular bathing wasn't so common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 08:24 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly so, that oral sex wasn't a thing back in "ancient" times? Especially when regular bathing wasn't so common.
There's plenty of ancient art depicting oral sex. Apparently the Romans frowned on it because they thought the mouth "pure" but it still happened, and other ancient cultures didn't have the same ideas.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:56 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hello,

I am not trying to generalize but I think we can all agree that people back then had worse hygiene than today. Today we have sanitizers, soap, shampoos and etc. I’m sure these things were available back then as well, but I think getting access to these products was a little more difficult today. Due to poverty and lack of technology.
We know people have been creating soap for over 3000 years from fat or oil mixed with ash. Producing basic soap is not difficult.

People could also bathe without using soap. My Greek ancestors would bathe and then apply scented oil to their bodies.

They may not have been as hygienic as we are, but they were not smelly brutes.

Quote:
My question is: How did people have sex back then with such terrible hygiene? Did their body odors of pubes, sweat, etc not turn each other off? Honestly, I can’t stand being around a smelly person for more than 30 seconds. I bet not a lot of people shaved their pubic hair either.
Did they really smell bad? These people would have understood things we are ignorant of today, so may well have used local products to mask bad body smells. Even if they did not, sex is a strong compulsion, and I doubt a few bad smells would stop people having sex.

Quote:
The weird thing is that people back then seem more perverted than today. If you look at Ancient Greek, Indian, etc art, it seems pretty sexual.
Was it sexual, or did they just have different standards of dressing? Yes, some of it was sexual, but not all of it.

Quote:
I heard in ancient Pompeii, people were so sex-obsessed that they had penis-shaped everything. From a random statue on the street, to a painting in the house. Everything has a picture of an erect penis. Is it just me or did people seem more perverted back then? I think the spread of Christianity and Islam has tamed people a little bit ?
Probably selective memory, there are many non-sexual images in Pompeii.

And to them, we may be the perverts. The Romans would have been shocked at the idea of oral sex, for example.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:00 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
I think the penis symbols were predominantly signs the brothels used to draw in customers. But who knows erotic paintings and mosaics in the homes of the wealthy in villas have been uncovered. The penis symbols carved or painted goes way back in history as a fertility symbols even in the Neolithic era.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:04 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
My question is: How did people have sex back then with such terrible hygiene?
Might I suggest watching the Nature Channel.

Quote:
Did their body odors of pubes, sweat, etc not turn each other off?
Might I suggest watching the Science Channel.

Odors are offensive only until they're not.

After a few dozen rotting corpses, I learned to ignore it.

Quote:
Honestly, I can’t stand being around a smelly person for more than 30 seconds.
The good news is you would be so wrapped up in your own funk you wouldn't notice another's funk.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
one does not have sex with his nose .

If you think the TV series Rome accurately depicted the lifestye of ancient Roman,then in one scene a guy said the best way to poison Caesar 's niece is to put the poison on M Anthony's dick as she dined on it often.
In another scene when Brutus asked his mother to leave Rome with him,his mother refused as she was in love with Caesar,Brutus asked his mother to get a stud slave in the market and get it over with .
Then in one scene Caesar's niece wants his son to eat the fresh gonads of a sheep as she found him not masculine enough?
are the gonads or *******,?thats where the male hormone is kept?

Old 04-23-2022, 12:56 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Did the ancient Chinese or Japanese have oral sex?
Never heard or seen in paintings or novels
and what about the Indians?
or the Turks?as they kept a harem of women

Old 04-23-2022, 06:27 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Did the ancient Chinese or Japanese have oral sex?
Never heard or seen in paintings or novels
and what about the Indians?
or the Turks?as they kept a harem of women
Japanese erotic art shows all sorts of oral sex. So does Indian erotic art, and things like the Kama Sutra.

This link might be interesting https://www.mic.com/impact/a-history...w-job-16543812

Old 04-25-2022, 11:09 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
My question is: How did people have sex back then with such terrible hygiene??
Love..and lust. Same reasons why people will always get busy and procreate

Old 04-25-2022, 08:26 PM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times
It wasn't that dissimilar to now. The more affluent people would have access to more luxurious bath facilities and products. The poorer people wouldn't have been able to bathe as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History