Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 04:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

But we seldom hear about how they deal with STD.
I know Parkinson disease is named after Dr Parkinson,Alzh is named after Dr Alzheimer,so is Hansen disease,Lou Gehrig disease after Lou Gehrig,what do they use before penicilum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 04:52 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I know Parkinson disease is named after Dr Parkinson,Alzh is named after Dr Alzheimer,so is Hansen disease,Lou Gehrig disease after Lou Gehrig,what do they use before penicilum?
Honey has antibacterial properties, but it would probably only be effective topically, on skin infections (so probably not effective for STDs) and I don't know how effective it was at curing existing infections, it may have only been effective at preventing infections from developing. I know it was successfully used on Henry V's face wound to prevent an infection.

Otherwise, they didn't really use anything before penicillin, they just suffered, and potentially spread it around. I've mentioned this here before, but this is largely why religion was so anti-sex-outside-of-marriage. If you and your spouse only ever had sex with your spouse, it was pretty much impossible to get an STD, and that's definitely something you wanted to avoid because there was really no cure for it, and there was no effective protection against it so not having sex outside of marriage was really the only way to avoid it.

There were perhaps treatments for the symptoms, but there was no cure for bacterial infections, that's why so many people died from bacterial infections. Also, many STDs are viral, which we still don't have a cure for.

I'm not sure what most of those conditions you mentioned have to do with this though, since most are not bacterial infections, or STDs.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:10 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Don't go to Greece then.

Historical people did bathe and did have soap. Much of your judgements of them are based on misconceptions.

I'm sure in the future people will think our generation ignorant too. Have you ever seen Demolition Man? In the future, people only have virtual sex and when they want to procreate, they do it through science, not sex. And when he suggests actual physical contact, actual physical sex, she freaks out and thinks it's disgusting. Maybe that really will be a reality someday, and maybe future people will look back on us and think "Ewwww they actually had physical sex with bodily contact and fluid exchange and everything?! Gross!"

They didn't have modern technology, but lots of cultures had plenty of technology for their era. You think we don't have poverty today? You think future people won't look back on this time period and think our technology primitive, our poverty a disgrace? You seem to think humanity has reach the limit of advanced civilization, that we are currently as advanced as humanly possible, but this seems extremely short sighted to me.

I remember once watching a historical movie with my parents where the main characters were exiled and surviving in the woods and when there was a sex scene, to break the ice (because sex scenes with your parents can be awkward) I said, "Imagine how terrible their breath must be right now." And my dad more seriously responded, "That's how strong the urge is." And he's right - humanity has inherit sexual urges that will always overcome any unpleasant smells, appearances, etc. Procreation is an animalistic instinct, and if you think humanity currently so above such basic instincts, you are greatly mistaken.
Yes, when we were in Greece at the museum by the Forum, I took a picture of a pottery bowl I admired because it had a man riding a bull that looked neat. I sent it to my religious sisters and only afterward realized it had a huge "member" sticking out, lol.

In Sicily, we discovered a penis-themed cafe. Couldn't get over it---everything in the place was that shape.

I agree that in the future people will look back and think we were primitive since women still had to suffer periods and giving birth. I bet in future, it will all be done artificially and no disgusting periods. It's ridiculous women still have to put with that. It's possible in future that physical sex will be considered "gross", lol.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Lots of historians disagree with this idea. In "Daily Life in the Middle Ages" by Paul Newman, it debunks the idea that bathing wasn't common and people didn't have soap. I can imagine that early colonists maybe didn't have the facilities or equipment to bathe properly when they first arrived, but that doesn't mean bathing wasn't common in Western Europe. For one thing, public bath houses were in use throughout the Middle Ages and thereafter, so the idea of water not being associated with being clean until after the 17th century is ridiculous. People definitely bathed less often than we do today (according to "Daily Life..." probably no more than once a week), but the idea that they actually thought bathing counterintuitive to hygiene just isn't true.
"Once a week" bathing was still common in our parents' generation growing up. That's not so ancient.
One bathroom, 8 kids, etc.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:49 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, when we were in Greece at the museum by the Forum, I took a picture of a pottery bowl I admired because it had a man riding a bull that looked neat. I sent it to my religious sisters and only afterward realized it had a huge "member" sticking out, lol.
Oh I deliberately took pics of the penis shaped bottle openers in every gift shop I came across in Athens and posted them on Facebook, lol.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:52 PM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
I've also wondered, where did they find the place to do it? After all, a lot of people had large families that lived in one room shacks...

I think I know the answer, and I shiver just thinking about it...

Old 04-16-2022, 11:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I've also wondered, where did they find the place to do it? After all, a lot of people had large families that lived in one room shacks...

I think I know the answer, and I shiver just thinking about it...
Sex Ed. was taught by the parents.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:49 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hello,

I am not trying to generalize but I think we can all agree that people back then had worse hygiene than today. Today we have sanitizers, soap, shampoos and etc. I’m sure these things were available back then as well, but I think getting access to these products was a little more difficult today. Due to poverty and lack of technology.

My question is: How did people have sex back then with such terrible hygiene? Did their body odors of pubes, sweat, etc not turn each other off? Honestly, I can’t stand being around a smelly person for more than 30 seconds. I bet not a lot of people shaved their pubic hair either. The weird thing is that people back then seem more perverted than today. If you look at Ancient Greek, Indian, etc art, it seems pretty sexual.

I heard in ancient Pompeii, people were so sex-obsessed that they had penis-shaped everything. From a random statue on the street, to a painting in the house. Everything has a picture of an erect penis. Is it just me or did people seem more perverted back then? I think the spread of Christianity and Islam has tamed people a little bit ?
The Ancient Egyptians Greeks, Romans etc were the pioneers of public baths, and used oils and soaps to clean themselves.

The used sponges and all kinds of cleaning implements and Roman baths could be found throughout Roman Empire.

A lot of ancient civilisations were extremely clean and washed every day and they even had toothbrushes.

The Roman City of Bath in the UK, still has a working Roman Baths.

Roman Baths - Bath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdSbYW43Huk

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-17-2022 at 03:01 AM..

Old 04-17-2022, 07:26 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
The Romans of course had public restrooms. The restroom provided a public sponge anchored at the end of a long stick so one was able to wipe their backside. I think they were able to rinse the sponge and pass it along.

Romans also washed their cloths with a cleaning agent, a recipe containing human urine. Sounds gross but has some merit. Urine contains ammonia.....

Old 04-17-2022, 07:44 AM

15,400 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Mercury was a common treatment for STD's before antibiotics were discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History