Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 08:00 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Apparently you were so shaken by a term I (and everyone else) used in our youth that you missed the gist of the post: The JAPANESE refused to turn over the Jews to their Nazi comrades. Yes, they were hungry and not in great shape but at least they were ALIVE.
What are you, then, like 100 years old? I am a Boomer and that was not a common term here in the SF Bay Area in my youth and more recently (15 to 20 years ago) I only heard it twice in one conversation by someone who I subsequently cut out of my life precisely because they did use that word.

Even though you started a thread about "One thing good,....," you chose to perpetuate a "J" term for Japanese people that is every bit as provocative, discriminatory, and nasty as the "N" word is for blacks.

Just cut it out of your vocabulary, altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 08:19 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Precommunist China,Shanghai hosted many foreign nationals,white Russian,british,French ,Jews ,it is better known as Paris of the East.
It was a haven for stateless people in those chaotic times, like as you mentioned, the so-called "White" Russians, who had no passport after 1917. There was a Russian colony in Harbin (Manchuria) that was built by engineers hired by the Tsar to build a short-cut through China for the Trans-Siberian Railroad. When the Japanese occupied Manchuria, many of those Russians relocated to Shanghai. Some stayed behind, and some of their descendants are still there.

I read, that the Japanese considered the Jews to be highly intelligent. There was a proposal at one point to promote Jews to administer what had become Japanese Manchuria, or Manchukuo, as they called it. I remember seeing a documentary about a Japanese ambassador in Germany (IIRC), who put in extraordinary effort, working day and night for weeks if not months, issuing visas for Jews trying to escape. I don't know if his concern was unusual for a Japanese official or not. But there apparently were Japanese officials who viewed Jews positively. Still, it's hard to feel good about that, knowing how they treated the Chinese and Koreans.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:59 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It was a haven for stateless people in those chaotic times, like as you mentioned, the so-called "White" Russians, who had no passport after 1917. There was a Russian colony in Harbin (Manchuria) that was built by engineers hired by the Tsar to build a short-cut through China for the Trans-Siberian Railroad. When the Japanese occupied Manchuria, many of those Russians relocated to Shanghai. Some stayed behind, and some of their descendants are still there.

I read, that the Japanese considered the Jews to be highly intelligent. There was a proposal at one point to promote Jews to administer what had become Japanese Manchuria, or Manchukuo, as they called it. I remember seeing a documentary about a Japanese ambassador in Germany (IIRC), who put in extraordinary effort, working day and night for weeks if not months, issuing visas for Jews trying to escape. I don't know if his concern was unusual for a Japanese official or not. But there apparently were Japanese officials who viewed Jews positively. Still, it's hard to feel good about that, knowing how they treated the Chinese and Koreans.
And how everyone else was treated. Forced labor on the Thai Burma railway killed over 100,000 people, 90,000 Asian laborers and 16,000 Allied POW's. How many US POWs survived the Bataan Death March, where anyone showing weakness, injury, or illness was bayoneted by the side of the road? The list goes on. The Japanese Empire did nothing good before and during WWII. Nothing.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:19 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,531 times
not ww2, but during the 1919 peace conference japan fought for an anti-racist inclusion and lost

Old 04-17-2022, 07:33 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
https://www.harvard-yenching.org/res...to-earthquake/
The above incident didn’t improve my view of the Japanese of that era. I’m 53 and never learned about this in school. Came across this through a fantasy Japanese anime set in the period of the earthquake. Of course they never made mention of their slaughter the Koreans and anyone they believed were Koreans. I was curious if this earthquake happened because of the disclaimer of it being a work of fiction and they telltale repeated showing of the date and time. I found out this earthquake happened and also found out what they did following the earthquake.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:09 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.harvard-yenching.org/res...to-earthquake/
The above incident didn’t improve my view of the Japanese of that era. I’m 53 and never learned about this in school. Came across this through a fantasy Japanese anime set in the period of the earthquake. Of course they never made mention of their slaughter the Koreans and anyone they believed were Koreans. I was curious if this earthquake happened because of the disclaimer of it being a work of fiction and they telltale repeated showing of the date and time. I found out this earthquake happened and also found out what they did following the earthquake.
Most likely because there is only so much instruction time and during the same period the bureaucratic efficiency of the Nazis was happening. Now I am a few years older with a teacher who was a sort term POW of the Japanese during the US invasion of the Philippines but as an 11 year old I guess that I was closer to his story of being in a "Colored" battalion.

What I did pick up was either from movies or the World at War and Victory at Sea documentaries that rotated onto the few syndicated channels and PBS every year. And that was with the children of interned Japanese Americans being the local minority group, to a Black majority

Old 04-17-2022, 08:15 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Was this what the movie Empire of the Sun was based on ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-17-2022, 09:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Oh boy, have I got stories, from the people who were there.

Unfortunately, the mere content of my comments would get me banned again.

And this is after I sanitized what I was told...

Just imagine brutality on a scale of 10. Then triple it....

Yes, it was like this.
Yeah I have a problem with this thread. It's like "hey thank you Japanese for not killing us" as if the act of not murdering this group was an accomplishment. Yes they only shoved them into filthy overpopulated ghettos where disease and starvation were rampant. 20,000 into a area less than 1 square mile, 20 living to a room. The Chinese are the ones that established the safe haven Jewish refugees, not the Japanese. The citizens of Shanghai accepted them, not the Japanese. Once the Japanese arrived, conditions for these Jews deteriorated considerably. The Japanese also picked up on European style anti-semitism, particularly after they went to war with the US, and they prevented any Jewish refugees from entering Shanghai from that point on.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Was this what the movie Empire of the Sun was based on ?
…The film tells the story of Jamie "Jim" Graham (Christian Bale), a young boy who goes from living in a wealthy British family in Shanghai, to becoming a prisoner of war in a Japanese internment camp during World War II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_the_Sun_(film)

Many movies recount the harsh treatment in Japanese pow camps

Old 04-19-2022, 04:41 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I grew up hating [Japanese people]! I watched movies where they did nothing but EVIL. I remember my mother explaining the Rape of Nanjing: [Japanese] throwing babies in the air and catching them on their bayonets. It took 73 years, but I have found something good to say about [Japanese] in the war! We recently watched a 2002 documentary "Shanghai Ghetto". Many European Jews took refuge in Shanghai in the 1930s. The German allies of the Japanese occupiers of China wanted to deport the Jews back to Germany which was probably a lie and they'd have been disposed of immediately. But the Japanese told their allies to buzz off. The Jews weren't causing any problem. Today it's estimated that there are over 100,000 descendants of the Shanghai Jewish Ghetto.
I no longer use the term "(Snip)" and I think the Americans of Japanese descent got screwed royally by our government in WWII (not our proudest moment). I'm sure the German Americans on east coast were a much bigger problem/threat. Heck, they even had Nazi rallies prior to the war. Why were they never interned?
Are you referring to Sugihara? In Israel, he is recognized as one of the Righteous Among the Nations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...jews-lithuania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History