Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 11:58 AM

408 posts, read 169,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The War of 1812 is rarely brought up, period. It was fought to a draw.
No was not. It was British victory. kitty61 got it right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The War of 1812 basically established Canada's national identity. It wasn't a British invasion of the burgeoning USA, the USA was preparing an invasion of Britain's Canadian territory and the King caught wind of it so he sent British regiments to help the local populations rebuff the attempt which ultimately succeeded.
Canada's identity was already established. This thread is about history that is not taught, taught incorrectly or even just propaganda. That the war of 1812 was a draw is pure propaganda.

The British won the war of 1812. They halted the war when they achieved their aims, which was securing Canada, also being in a position to take over all of the USA. The USA failed in achieving their aims which subjugation of Canada. It was ended on the terms of the British. The British army that had just defeated Napoleon was ready to intervene which was a dismal prospect for the USA. The British did not want US territory. They probably could have secured northern New England as a part of Canada in the treaty, but were not interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 12:14 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Davis View Post
No was not. It was British victory. kitty61 got it right...
Canada's identity was already established. This thread is about history that is not taught, taught incorrectly or even just propaganda. That the war of 1812 was a draw is pure propaganda.

The British won the war of 1812. They halted the war when they achieved their aims, which was securing Canada, also being in a position to take over all of the USA. The USA failed in achieving their aims which subjugation of Canada. It was ended on the terms of the British. The British army that had just defeated Napoleon was ready to intervene which was a dismal prospect for the USA. The British did not want US territory. They probably could have secured northern New England as a part of Canada in the treaty, but were not interested.
Good point all.

Perhaps both won because the British dropped their financial claims from the 1783 Treaty of Paris, which we clearly were not in a position to nor inclined to pay. The end of the war marked the first true recognition of the U.S. by Britain.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:30 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Looking at the extensive history of the British people over 1,000 years these events do not really figure.

Maybe in British history it doesn't figure but for Canadians it's a really big deal.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:31 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Good point all.

Perhaps both won because the British dropped their financial claims from the 1783 Treaty of Paris, which we clearly were not in a position to nor inclined to pay. The end of the war marked the first true recognition of the U.S. by Britain.
Just teaching that would be helpful.

I do recall the gee whiz aspects of the war being taught -- impressment of US sailors by the British navy, the burning of Washington, Dolly Madison saving the portrait of Washington, Andrew Jackson and the Battle of New Orleans, Fort Mchenry and Francis Scott Key.... I don't recall hearing about our invasion of Canada or the naval battles on the Great Lakes. There was a skirmish at the village of Cote Sans Dessein not far from where I used to live and possibly the westernmost "battle" of the war.

There was that Johnny Horton song about the "Battle of New Orleans" popular in 1959.
I was eleven so it is etched in my memory. I could probably sing the whole thing but won't and I'll refrain from posting a YouTube link.
Just the chorus...

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin
But there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico

BTW -- Johnny Horton had a string of history-related songs about that time including "Sink the Bismarck", "Johnny Reb", and "North to Alaska". That was about the time of the Civil War centennial and there was a heightened public interest in history. I remember when the last Civil War veteran died in 1959. The last surviving Civil War widow died in 2020.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Perhaps both won
No one won. All the spin in the world does not change that.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
The end of the war marked the first true recognition of the U.S. by Britain.
The USA was recognised in the 1783 Treaty of Paris. That was when the USA came into existence - when the owners of British America decided to give it away, not before.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Just teaching that would be helpful.

I do recall the gee whiz aspects of the war being taught -- impressment of US sailors by the British navy, the burning of Washington, Dolly Madison saving the portrait of Washington, Andrew Jackson and the Battle of New Orleans, Fort Mchenry and Francis Scott Key.... I don't recall hearing about our invasion of Canada or the naval battles on the Great Lakes. There was a skirmish at the village of Cote Sans Dessein not far from where I used to live and possibly the westernmost "battle" of the war.

There was that Johnny Horton song about the "Battle of New Orleans" popular in 1959.
I was eleven so it is etched in my memory. I could probably sing the whole thing but won't and I'll refrain from posting a YouTube link.
Just the chorus...

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin
But there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico

BTW -- Johnny Horton had a string of history-related songs about that time including "Sink the Bismarck", "Johnny Reb", and "North to Alaska". That was about the time of the Civil War centennial and there was a heightened public interest in history. I remember when the last Civil War veteran died in 1959. The last surviving Civil War widow died in 2020.
Most if not all of the last men claiming to be Civil War veterans turned out to be poseurs. It is doubtful that any survived into the 1950's.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:30 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times
So if in the WAR of 1812 The english won ?
Why did they back off. Retreat ????. Care to tell Us Americans where all the english here on our land still hold power

Old 08-12-2022, 07:28 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
The USA was recognised in the 1783 Treaty of Paris. That was when the USA came into existence - when the owners of British America decided to give it away, not before.
The Treaty of 1783 was supposed to be recognition of the U.S. Adams and I think Jefferson were the ambassadors to Britain. They were pariahs. Britain kept harassing the U.S. until the Treaty of Ghent. They had not reconciled themselves to American independence.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
So if in the WAR of 1812 The english won ?
Why did they back off. Retreat ????. Care to tell Us Americans where all the english here on our land still hold power
The United States had many reasons for going to war in 1812: Britain's interference with its trade and impressment of its seamen; Americans' desire to expand settlement into Indian, British, and Spanish territories; aspirations to conquer Canada and end British influence in North America.

Britain and Canada put pay to any US plans in relation to Canada and in terms of stopping US trade or press-ganging US Sailors, they were due to other events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki

The 1812 had an Inconclusive/Other Outcome

* Treaty of Ghent; Status quo ante bellum with no boundary changes

* United States invasions of British Canada repulsed

* British invasions of the United States land returned to United States under Treaty of Ghent

A list of Wars involving Britain at the time -

List of wars involving the United Kingdom - Wikipedia
The 1812 War was a tiny war compared to what was going on internationally, including a much larger conflict between the British and French stretching from the Seven Years' War right through to the defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte in 1815.

During the 1812 war, the War Prison at Princetown in Devon in England (now HMP Dartmoor), housed American and French Prisoners of War.

Conditions were harsh and brutal in the prison which housed over 6,000 PoW's and many prisoners died on the cold damp moors including 271 American sailors captured during the 1812 American war and 1,200 French prisoners captured during the Napoleonic Wars. They were originally buried in mass unmarked graves, however the prisoners' remains were later exhumed and re-interred in two cemeteries behind the prison, one for the French dead and one for the American dead.

There's also a memorial to the captured American and French PoW's who died at Dartmoor during the 1812 War and a memorial at the nearby church at Princeton.

Dartmoor American and French PoW Memorials - CAM

Dartmoor POW memorial church window restored - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-13-2022 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History