Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 11:35 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That last part is SO NOT TRUE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

Someone tampered with the new CAPSULE form of Tylenol and INSERTED cyanide into random bottles for a deviant purpose….people died….BUT J&J had nothing to do with that….

The after-effect was that Tylenol was recalled because there was no way to tell how many other bottles might have been tampered with

That incident was the reason for the foil secure mouths on OTC and other products—
To prevent other psychos from tampering with product safety….

This guy was the #1 suspect.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/10/19/u...ol-deaths.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 11:52 AM

408 posts, read 169,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I thought the same thing. However, I read the subject of the thread literally. It speaks of "marketing" disasters. I don't think the Edsel was a marketing disaster. The problem was the product itself not the way it was sold.
Many marketing course give the Edsel as a marketing disaster, of how not to do it. The product was OKish. They were trying to market a car with downmarket brand image as an upmarket product. They were hyping the car up as special for months pre-launch, when there was zero technically special about it. Also many other massive mistakes in the campaign and product placement. The car nearly brought down Ford.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:18 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
Push button soda cans? I can't even imagine how that looked.
Really not that different from current drink cans in concept, except that instead of having a built-in lever device to break the can seal, you were expected to do so with your fingertip - just be careful not to slice your finger in the process - kinda hard to do on the smaller "venting" hole, but easily done on the larger "drinking" hole, since a finger could easily fit inside it, with not much extra space

Attached Thumbnails
What are some of the greatest marketing disasters in history?-pushtop.jpg  

Old 08-19-2022, 06:38 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I think there was a classic marketing failure when Chevrolet introduce a new model of their line-up into Mexico.

They called the new model "Nova."

A good name, right?

Wrong.

The word Nova translates into "No Go" in Spanish.

Not a great name for a car you want to sell.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:16 AM

164 posts, read 84,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Really not that different from current drink cans in concept, except that instead of having a built-in lever device to break the can seal, you were expected to do so with your fingertip - just be careful not to slice your finger in the process - kinda hard to do on the smaller "venting" hole, but easily done on the larger "drinking" hole, since a finger could easily fit inside it, with not much extra space
Oh I see. Interesting. Thanks! Yeah definitely looks like something I would cut my finger on. LOL

Old 08-21-2022, 06:37 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
Cigarette marketing in general and when doctors encouraged pregnant moms to smoke.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:49 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Gerald Ratner - The British businessman who destroyed his jewellery empire with just one speech.

It's usually good practice and advisable, not to call your products crap whilst giving a public speech.

The man who destroyed his multimillion dollar company in 10 seconds - Business Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Ratner -The Speech

Although widely regarded as "tacky", the shops and their wares were nevertheless extremely popular with the public, until Ratner made a speech addressing a conference of the Institute of Directors at the Royal Albert Hall on 23 April 1991. During the speech, he commented:

We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap."

He compounded this by going on to remark that one of the sets of earrings was "cheaper than a prawn sandwich from Marks & Spencer's, but I have to say the sandwich will probably last longer than the earrings".

Ratner made a guest appearance on UK television's BBC1 talk show Wogan, the following day after his speech, to apologise and explain his joking remark the previous day that some of his company's products are "total crap", a decision he would later regret.

Ratner's comments have become textbook examples of why CEOs should choose their words carefully. In the furore that ensued, customers stayed away from Ratner shops. After the speech, the value of the Ratner group plummeted by around £500 million, which very nearly resulted in the firm's collapse.

Ratner hired a chairman in an attempt to stabilise the situation, but was subsequently fired by the new company leader in November 1992. The group then changed its name to Signet Group in September 1993.

Today, Ratner's speech is still famous in the corporate world as an example of the value of branding and image over quality. Such gaffes are now sometimes called "doing a Ratner",and Ratner himself has acquired the sobriquet "The Sultan of Bling".

Ratner has said in his defence that his remarks were not meant to be taken seriously. He also largely blamed the aggressiveness and deliberately wrongful interpretation of several media outlets for the severe consumer reaction.

Gerald Ratner -The Speech - Wikipedia

Old 08-21-2022, 07:03 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Cigarette marketing in general and when doctors encouraged pregnant moms to smoke.
Considering how many people still smoke to this day I don't think I'd call cigarette marketing a disaster. Pretty darn successful actually, when I consider that I see cigarettes have made a comeback as props in movies.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:27 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How so? A nova is bright star--the word comes from the Latin for "new". That's not a word that has a bad connotation at all.

On the flip side, I remember seeing ads for the Mexican bread brand "Bimbo," which seemed like something got lost in translation.
LOL, so true. Bimbo is the main bread brand down here---worse than Wonder for quality. Definitely they weren't thinking about translations...

To add to that insult, the major supermarket chain is called "Super-Maxi"----

No one seems amused at that faux pas but me....

Old 08-21-2022, 02:38 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Does the East India Company's attempt in 1773 to market tea to the British Colonies in North America count?

IIRC, it didn't turn out so well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History