Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 12:09 PM

408 posts, read 290,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
He was convicted of treason for the 1923 beer hall putsch. Served 1 year or so if I remember correctly. Other than that I don't think he was ever charged with any crimes in Germany.

He would have been tried and convicted at Nuremberg, certainly, but those trials were obviously not based on established German law but rather the Allies' understanding of international law as it was convenient in 1945.

Hitler almost certainly broke other German laws both in the pursuit of power and in power, but since he was in total control of the German legislative and administrative process for a decade plus, he had ample opportunity to create laws which would have covered a pretty significant part of his and his underlings' activities.
The beer hall I admit he broke the law and pleaded guilty to doing so with no shame, but I don’t think he broke German laws after his rise to power. The night of long knives came close but the purge was legally under domestic terror imminent self-defense of the Reich under the executive judgment of the chancellor.

Crimes against humanity was coded after the war but at the time it wasn’t international law. It was so unconscionable what was done that it became an international unanimous decision to apply crimes against humanity and backdate it, but that was a moral court proceeding, not a legal one .

Legal is all emotions out the window. Was a “law” codified in written national stature broken by Hitler AFTER he rose to power, excluding Beer Hall Putsch. Possibly the violence on Kristallnacht as this preceded war time and involved destruction of personal property that was not yet in law severed from the persons who were Jewish who owned those shops. But if this was an act of raiding domestic terror against a foreign diplomat in France I guess it’s protection of the state against an aggressive threat, but this may have been a broken law if there’s no trail of intent for how the Kristallnacht was tired to national security

Last edited by Freesponge; 08-24-2022 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 12:41 PM

453 posts, read 301,140 times
Quote:
but this may have been a broken law if there’s no trail of intent for how the Kristallnacht was tired to national security
just stop.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
He was evil but illegal isn’t required for evil

The Hitler-Stalin non-aggression pact entitied both to a private occupation of Poland not a precursor to a war with Europe

Poland didn’t fight the non-aggression pact which means they accepted the arrangement

France declaring war on Germany was unexpected and hence baseless

That justified an acceptance of a declaration of war on Hitler’s end. In war, casualties happen and peace time laws are replaced by martial law

What at that time was a crime against humanity? Where was that law written in 1939 to enforce ?

Bad yes very
Illegal no

Hitler invasion of USSr justified legally by USSR crossing demarcation lines in territory obtained before 1941

I think torching the Reichstag, blaming it on some Communist sap, and then using it as a pretext to jail and kill scores of your opponents might qualify.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:08 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
The beer hall I admit he broke the law and pleaded guilty to doing so with no shame, but I don’t think he broke German laws after his rise to power. The night of long knives came close but the purge was legally under domestic terror imminent self-defense of the Reich under the executive judgment of the chancellor.

Crimes against humanity was coded after the war but at the time it wasn’t international law. It was so unconscionable what was done that it became an international unanimous decision to apply crimes against humanity and backdate it, but that was a moral court proceeding, not a legal one .

Legal is all emotions out the window. Was a “law” codified in written national stature broken by Hitler AFTER he rose to power, excluding Beer Hall Putsch. Possibly the violence on Kristallnacht as this preceded war time and involved destruction of personal property that was not yet in law severed from the persons who were Jewish who owned those shops. But if this was an act of raiding domestic terror against a foreign diplomat in France I guess it’s protection of the state against an aggressive threat, but this may have been a broken law if there’s no trail of intent for how the Kristallnacht was tired to national security

I am fairly sure the program to kill the disabled ("Aktion T4") was illegal under German law even. It occurred on German territory, and I'm not aware of any law that sanctioned the killing of the disabled even during the Third Reich. There's decent evidence that the directive for this program came from Hitler himself, so he couldn't have hidden behind the lack of a 'paper trail' to claim he didn't know about it.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:08 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oh my gosh.

OP, your posts are always bizarre, but this one is the worst yet.

I am flabbergasted.

"Hitler wasn't so bad, he didn't break any laws ..."

Just another in a string of non-sensical Nazi focused threads by the OP. Can't take this person seriously.

Compared to Stalin for many (of course not Jews) wasn’t Nazi occupation a relief vs Gulag Sovietism?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...l#post64017212

What % of Pro-Trump believe still Hitler was worse than Stalin? (enemies, poll) -
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post63955281

When Jewish lawyers in Vienna were all banned by Hitler, did the new Aryan lawyers efficiently fill the void or were (war, German)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...l#post63939692

Was the destruction of Warsaw by the Third Reich really a major ordeal for most non-JewishPoles or more a symbolic blow? (WWII, war)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...l#post63925139

Old 08-25-2022, 12:11 AM

7,644 posts, read 4,591,848 times
The 40's may didn't really display anyone's finest hour in terms of governance. Hitler is indefensible...even intellectually.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:25 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:

War crimes already existed in international law as criminal violations of the laws and customs of war which go back centuries.

Whilst "crimes against humanity" covered acts were already prohibited by the laws of most countries.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:46 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
The beer hall I admit he broke the law and pleaded guilty to doing so
Then why did you start this thread?

Old 08-25-2022, 01:31 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Then why did you start this thread?

See post #15 above.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:38 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
He was evil but illegal isn’t required for evil
Besides killing millions of his own country's people?

Nah, I don't think he did anything illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History