Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 10:12 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

You might recall "They Shall Not Grow Old", the WWI feature-length movie that came out a couple years ago based on colorized wartime film clips with dubbed sound.

https://youtu.be/Z9ATuPbYqEg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 12:23 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You might recall "They Shall Not Grow Old", the WWI feature-length movie that came out a couple years ago based on colorized wartime film clips with dubbed sound.

https://youtu.be/Z9ATuPbYqEg

I saw that documentary in the theater. It was a packed house and as it ended the theater was quiet except for the sounds of a few who were quietly sobbing. But nobody left their seats for at least 60 or 90 seconds and everyone shuffled out without the usual chatter afterward. Very somber.

Wonderful doc.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:00 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As for old photos of street scenes, there are some that look relatively empty, but it probably depended greatly on the time of day the photo was taken and how big the city was. Here's several photos from the 1900s and 1910s showing a variety of crowded and derelict streets: 35 High Resolution Photos of USA Cities From 1900’s and 1910’s | Designbeep

Notice how bigger cities like NYC were always more crowded and although none of them are as crowded as they are today, I wouldn't say they are all are as empty as there being nothing in the way of the street cars and only one car per block.
Look at the dates. The pictures from 1905 show exactly what I have been saying. Relatively empty streets with only streetcars and horse drawn wagons, and lots of pedestrians on the sidewalks. Virtually no automobiles. The 1910s is a whole nother story. Automobiles started taking over after 1910. By the 1920s they were jamming up the streets.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:46 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
Cool! I love it! Yes I love this stuff! I love seeing how they dressed and went about their life. It's fascinating to see how they drove.
Even back then, we (Californians) were obnoxious tailgaters and "cutter-offers."

Old 09-01-2022, 05:52 PM

164 posts, read 84,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Even back then, we (Californians) were obnoxious tailgaters and "cutter-offers."
Yup! hahaha!

Old 09-01-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
The hairstyles seem consistent with the time periods to me. There are a few clips in the third video that say they are from the 1920s and 1930s.

It may have been somewhat staged - they may have advertised when they would be filming and encouraged people, especially with automobiles, to come out and be a part of it, and car owners may have looped around to get on film as much as possible. But it doesn't mean it's not from that time period and doesn't mean we can't learn a lot from it, or that the producers were being deliberately deceptive.

As for old photos of street scenes, there are some that look relatively empty, but it probably depended greatly on the time of day the photo was taken and how big the city was. Here's several photos from the 1900s and 1910s showing a variety of crowded and derelict streets: 35 High Resolution Photos of USA Cities From 1900’s and 1910’s | Designbeep

Notice how bigger cities like NYC were always more crowded and although none of them are as crowded as they are today, I wouldn't say they are all are as empty as there being nothing in the way of the street cars and only one car per block.
Cool pictures!

Old 09-01-2022, 08:40 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Look at the dates. The pictures from 1905 show exactly what I have been saying. Relatively empty streets with only streetcars and horse drawn wagons, and lots of pedestrians on the sidewalks. Virtually no automobiles. The 1910s is a whole nother story. Automobiles started taking over after 1910. By the 1920s they were jamming up the streets.
Yes, there's more automobiles in the later dates but I was commenting more on the crowdedness. You commented on "how relatively empty and uncongested the streets were. The streetcars, or cable cars had the run of the streets and nothing to get in their way." - Look at the one of Grand Central Station and Hotel Manhattan 1903 - there's lots of pedestrians and horse and carts in the streets, in the way of the streetcars. And there's several other photos from before 1910 that are similar.

A couple from Chicago: 18. Life in Industrial America | THE AMERICAN YAWP - the top one from NY is obviously an exception because it's a street market. But the next one of Chicago in 1907, very crowded street. And the next photo (not the illustration) is again from 1900-1910 in Chicago, and again, fairly crowded.

This one from NYC is from 1895, very crowded: https://www.history101.nyc/broadway-...hn-street-1895

Old 09-02-2022, 12:58 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Yes, there's more automobiles in the later dates but I was commenting more on the crowdedness. You commented on "how relatively empty and uncongested the streets were. The streetcars, or cable cars had the run of the streets and nothing to get in their way." - Look at the one of Grand Central Station and Hotel Manhattan 1903 - there's lots of pedestrians and horse and carts in the streets, in the way of the streetcars. And there's several other photos from before 1910 that are similar.

A couple from Chicago: 18. Life in Industrial America | THE AMERICAN YAWP - the top one from NY is obviously an exception because it's a street market. But the next one of Chicago in 1907, very crowded street. And the next photo (not the illustration) is again from 1900-1910 in Chicago, and again, fairly crowded.

This one from NYC is from 1895, very crowded: https://www.history101.nyc/broadway-...hn-street-1895
You can always find exceptions, but I don't think that was the norm. Here is Time Square 1905. Nice and uncongested.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:40 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
When I showed some to my wife, her first remarks were "Nobody's fat" and "nobody's wearing shorts" --- even in Manila.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
When I showed some to my wife, her first remarks were "Nobody's fat" and "nobody's wearing shorts" --- even in Manila.
Exactly! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History