Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 07:25 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Oddly enough, I've seen pictures of Confederate flags flying in rural areas of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ohio. And even in Brazil and Italy. In foreign countries it seems to be becoming "hip" or maybe an expression of rebellion against norms.
There were Southerners who left (fled?) the USA for Brazil after the Civil War. Over 10,000 of them went to Brazil to avoid Yankee domination and to find cheap land and labor. They left quite a legacy in Brazil, something that is still controversial to this day. Slavery was legal in Brazil for 23 years after the American Civil War ended.

This wasn't just a handful of people. Estimates are that between 10,000 and 20,000 people left southern states for Brazil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados

https://www.history.com/news/confede...azil-civil-war

https://www.businessinsider.com/phot...heir-hearts-23

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Amer...racy-in-Brazil

A fairly new law banned the display of hate and racist symbols (specifically including the Confederate flag) is opposed by the descendants of the Confederate families. They claim the flag doesn't represent racism, but reminds them that their ancestors were resisting tyranny, much as people (of course, only white people) in the southern USA claim the flag represents their proud family heritage.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/confeder...101626145.html

Old 09-04-2022, 12:09 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some flags from history have negative connotations. The Nazi flag is the most well known example. USA has the Confederate flag and in Japan is the rising sun flag. Regardless of how those waving the flags feel about them, those two flags hold serious negative connotations for many outside their communities. Are there any other flags that have such serious negative connotations today?
Maybe not historical, but for me what I find totally reprehensible is co-opting the flag of the U.S.A. for political or other 'statement' issues. I don't care what affiliation or movement it is- I find it a desecration to those that truly fought and died for our Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 09:07 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Maybe not historical, but for me what I find totally reprehensible is co-opting the flag of the U.S.A. for political or other 'statement' issues. I don't care what affiliation or movement it is- I find it a desecration to those that truly fought and died for our Republic.

i can still hear my father complain about us flags flying over used car lots "i didn't fight for that flag to be used for those people to sell used cars with" he was a pearl harbor veteran

Old 09-05-2022, 10:20 AM

565 posts, read 470,942 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Flag This one may cause some people to freak out.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:42 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Flag This one may cause some people to freak out.
I'm Jewish and fine with it.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:54 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,314 times
I'm Roman Catholic and our flag is the Papal one; half yellow, half white, with the crossed keys surmounted by the Papal mitre.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:52 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
When I pulled into my RC church parking lot to serve as usher at Saturday evening Mass I spotted one of those flags on a car. There is a Lutheran church right across the street so I thought it was one of their people using our lot for whatever reason. Then again I thought is was some Episcopalian (C of E in America) flag that someone was flying to honor the late Queen Elizabeth but I didn't bother to do all the math in my head.

My feeling is, Whatever. I didn't remember seeing that flag until just now.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:55 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The 13-Star Betsy Ross flag is said to be racist by some, as is the POW/MIA flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
Why?

Why?
The Betsy Ross flag was invented when we still had slavery. Ergo it's racist.

The POW/MIA flag's racist roots are a little more complicated and since I'm not the one complaining about it I can't explain it. But trust me, people have written sincere articles on it.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:25 AM

863 posts, read 865,865 times
Anyone that gets upset about what is printed on a piece of cloth needs serious counseling and to reset their priorities in life. People will find any excuse to be offended and it's time to stop feeding into their own self-loathing and emotional issues. Good grief!

Old 09-11-2022, 10:55 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Anyone that gets upset about what is printed on a piece of cloth needs serious counseling and to reset their priorities in life. People will find any excuse to be offended and it's time to stop feeding into their own self-loathing and emotional issues. Good grief!
Not necessarily. Example La include the Neo Nazis marching with the Nazi flag and groups in Japan marching with the rising sun flag. The symbolism of these flags with these groups is they want to return to the most horrible governments these two countries had in the past century. The rising sun flag is a sore spot to many nations in the Asian Pacific region because of the horrors Japan committed during the time this flag was used. While most know about the horrors Nazi Germany committed, a great many have no idea that Japan committed equally horrible acts. Both the Nazi flag and the rising sun flag represent a period of racial superiority to the point of looking at others as less than human and using those they felt were beneath them for medical experimentations, torture, slave labor, and in some cases using the people as a source of meat to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History