Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 09:03 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times

Advertisements

Interesting re-reading all of the posts in the thread. A day in history that will never be forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 02:20 PM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
I've watched the documentaries several times. Seems like last week.

Old 09-06-2023, 03:27 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I’ve listened to these tapes many times over the years. It’s still shocking and ultimately depressing. Looking back it still seems like some Hollywood disaster movie but it really happened. Remember when I was still working back in the Midwest in my cubicle and people going by talking about an aircraft hitting the World Trading center building.

Driving the next day I remember looking up at the clear deep blue September sky and seeing none of the usual aircraft contrails of commercial aircraft. My initial thought was nothing will ever be the same after this and it turned out to be true. What a horrible day that was.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:10 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I’ve listened to these tapes many times over the years. It’s still shocking and ultimately depressing. Looking back it still seems like some Hollywood disaster movie but it really happened. Remember when I was still working back in the Midwest in my cubicle and people going by talking about an aircraft hitting the World Trading center building.

Driving the next day I remember looking up at the clear deep blue September sky and seeing none of the usual aircraft contrails of commercial aircraft. My initial thought was nothing will ever be the same after this and it turned out to be true. What a horrible day that was.

I was aware of the WTC attacks, but was driving to work when the reports of the Pentagon aired. I had to pull off the road and sit a bit. Was also driving somewhere when the Columbine news broke... and I'd put two kids on a school bus that morning. We take so much for granted.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:42 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Interesting re-reading all of the posts in the thread. A day in history that will never be forgotten.

Eventually, all these tragic days are forgotten when later tragedies impact later generations.

It was also said that these events would be remembered. Well, some are remembered as events, but few can recall when they occurred.

- President Lincoln is shot and killed.
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand is shot.
- Lusitania torpedoed.
- Spanish Flu
- Germany invades Poland.
- Japan attacks US bases in Hawaii (called "a date which will live in infamy".")
- VE Day
- Assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
- Assassination of Malcolm X
- Assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy
- The Stonewall riots
- The Munich massacre
- Murder of John Lennon
- Space Shuttle Challenger breaks apart
- September 11 attacks
- Covid-19 Pandemic

Old 09-10-2023, 06:03 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
My main memory of that day is how my sister experienced it. She was working in Jersey City, right across the river, and was in a conference room that morning working on a project with others. Floor to ceiling windows, view right at the WTC. She saw it all. They didn't leave building until collapse. And had nightmares for at least 6 months after. She had friends in midtown who she reached out to a week or so later and everyone was just so numb.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:41 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
This is an interesting interview with an F-15 pilot from the Massachusetts Air National Guard who was dispatched to NYC on 9/11/01.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fsSx2h...b3ZlciBueWM%3D

Old 09-11-2023, 08:15 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
^Cool! I see it's quite long, so I will watch it when I have a little more time.

Just as an added note, I am one of the 15,000 people who got out of the WTC alive that day. When I got out on the street with my coworker, who is now one of my closest friends, we heard the roar as two military jets flew overhead. Everyone on the street screamed and crouched down (as if that could protect us from a bombing!) We had no idea what was happening or WHOSE jets they were, and I said to my friend, "This looks like some kind of war!"

Old 09-11-2023, 09:17 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
I've been watching a lot of videos of it the last few days (again). I've seen the footage so much over the years that I sometimes forget that I didn't actually see any of it at the time.

One, I was in Europe at the time. Two, I was in a tense meeting that occupied my attention fully for the entire duration of the event. I didn't find out until after the towers had come down but then was pretty much glued to the TV for a week.

With regards to the ATC tapes, I was always rubbed the wrong way by how mindlessly misinformation was spread by some. I think some people acted quite unprofessionally even by the standard of a regular person making a 911 call. It probably didn't make a real difference in the outcome but it certainly helped adding a lot of layers of confusion that day.

An interesting thing I noted the other day was that on Sky News (UK news network) a terrorism expert early on indicated that he felt the towers were structurally unsound and likely to collapse soon. I couldn't find anyone on any other news coverage who talked about the collapse of the tower even as a possibility never mind a likely event. It's interesting because it certainly felt like no-one in NYC - or the US media - really entertained that thought until about the moment the South tower started giving in.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:46 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

With regards to the ATC tapes, I was always rubbed the wrong way by how mindlessly misinformation was spread by some.

Who, when and exactly where do they say what? I can't listen to the whole thing. Makes me nauseous.

Quote:
An interesting thing I noted the other day was that on Sky News (UK news network) a terrorism expert early on indicated that he felt the towers were structurally unsound and likely to collapse soon. I couldn't find anyone on any other news coverage who talked about the collapse of the tower even as a possibility never mind a likely event. It's interesting because it certainly felt like no-one in NYC - or the US media - really entertained that thought until about the moment the South tower started giving in.
Lucky guess. I doubt even bin Laden thought the towers would collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History