Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:46 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,689 times

Advertisements

The conversation reminded me of the unfortunate situation of Lew Ayres of Dr. Kildare fame. Early in WWII, Ayres declared himself to be a conscientious objector. There was a negative reaction from fans and fellow actors, and he became somewhat of a pariah around Hollywood. MGM even canceled his contract. Later, he enlisted in the medical corps as a noncombatant, winning battlefield medals. However, when he returned to acting, his career never regained its previous level. Quite a contrast to John Wayne who has become a national icon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
For those who express a desire more realistic depiction of the beach / battlefield scene, might I bring up again, Steven Ambrose's book D Day: June 6, 1944. Ambrose's straightforward and efficient prose reads quickly yet provides quite vivid and detailed scenes of the days events, both small and the big picture. The movie is a small capsule version of the invasion.

The book covers preparations in Britian and a whole lot more you won't see in the film. Things I learned...

The German army was in bad shape. Fighting on two fronts over stretched supplies and fuel, as well as manpower. Due to shortage, many of the troops were less than enthusiastic eastern conscripts, who were inclined to surrender to get out of hellish conditions when they could.

There is an intersting photo in the book of German pow's, officers and enlisted men, shown on a navy ship. A rather casual scene, most are smiling and look as if they are talking and enjoying a cruise. The caption "For you the war is over... ...these men couldn't be happier."

There is another photo of Poles and Czechs - OST batallion troop pows, who are about to be transported to English camps. They later expressed great disappointment at not being sent to the US.

There is a lot of discussion of one of the most formidable, and terrifying weapons of the war, the German "eighty-eight's". An 88 mm anti-aircraft, anti-tank artillery gun. This gun was well adapted for other uses such as sweeping the beachs with rapid fire as well as deadly accurate shots on the approaching landing craft.

This gun was also found on the equally fearsome and advanced German Tiger tank with armour that was very difficult to penetrate by allied tanks and guns. The Tiger's use however, was hampered by both fuel shortages and a paranoid Adolph Hitler, who reserved approval of its use and movements to himself, even as he became more drug addled and out of touch towards the end of the war.

The Luftwaffe had a weapon that could have changed the outcome of the air war, had it not been for the fact that they had no fuel for it. The
Messerschmitt Me262 fighter jet. There are sad stories of these advanced aircraft, instead of flying being hidden under trees.

And there is so much more, in this one fine book. Go to your library and check it out.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:28 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Agreed. Ambrose's books are nothing short of outstanding. I learned a great deal from them. I also coaxed information out of my later grandfather who was there at Omaha Beach.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
... The Luftwaffe had a weapon that could have changed the outcome of the air war, had it not been for the fact that they had no fuel for it. The
Messerschmitt Me262 fighter jet. There are sad stories of these advanced aircraft, instead of flying being hidden under trees...
A correction, I did not mean sad that the Nazi's did not get to use their, world's first jet fighter aircraft to wreak death and destruction on allied forces. An engineer, I spoke from a narrow technical point of view. Hope readers understood what I meant.

qw

Last edited by quiet walker; 05-30-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Ambrose's books are full of small mistakes, so much so that I have to wonder about everything he writes. I noticed his inaccuracies as far back as the 1970s in a book he wrote on Custer (in a "previous life" when Ambrose was a long-haired left-wing academic type).

As for the ME-262, well the Americans and British were also pretty well along on jet aircraft development but held back on the sensible theory that you build LOTS of what you know is winning the war. As Stalin said "quantity has a quality all it's own". Had we needed to bring our jets forward I've no doubt it would have taken us little time to outproduce the Germans in jet aircraft. Hell, look at the Manhattan Project.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I recall reading that the Brits were using a jet called the Meteor or something to shoot down the V-1s.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
I have to admit that with very few exceptions, my eyes tend to glass over whenever people start talking about machines, especially planes, ships, tanks, guns or other elements of war. My interest in history is the human element, how people were affected by events. I figure if I keep reading these posts though, I might gain some appreciation for what you fellows see in them. LOL

Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I have to admit that with very few exceptions, my eyes tend to glass over whenever people start talking about machines, especially planes, ships, tanks, guns or other elements of war. My interest in history is the human element, how people were affected by events. I figure if I keep reading these posts though, I might gain some appreciation for what you fellows see in them. LOL

Well start a thread on some personal aspects of history and see what shakes out. One's interest in the technical aspects of history need not be at the expense of the personal. But I know what you mean.

Regards

Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Unfortunately, war just seems to be part of human nature. I can't believe the number of large and small wars I've come upon in the reading I do. A large amount seem to be religious in nature ..

Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
I have the video. It is part of my 107 movies that John Wayne was in. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History