Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 07:21 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freischwamm View Post
How would it feel if someone came by ship with rope and enslaved you or me?

African peoples had tribal nations and traditions. They respected forests and earth’s natural resources and had dances and chants and didn’t bother anyone. They rejoiced in the biodiversity of the African continent.

Then suddenly these ships came to Ivory Coast and other West African shores and they took ropes tying up innocent people …. I watched the movie series “roots” and I saw Amistad…. And I see what they did to Kunta Kinta and others like him. It was terrible.

These people never did that to Europeans ever . Never did they send boats to UK or America with ropes … then tell you you’re going to be auctioned off to some plantation owner , whipped and beat, and then forced to plow fields for all of life and the slave kids never get to be free and where in the Bible was this in scripture that this is how you operate as a human being?

Doesn’t it even get told in the Bible that Moses freed the Hebrews… the ancestors of the original covenant with God that freedom from slavery was celebrated with the parting of the Red Sea ? And the land of milk and honey

And then these kind folks who were racistly discriminated against just because their natural skin pigment is better suited for equatorial UV rays with more melanin so they don’t die of melanoma or squamous cell skin cancer , Were callously just slurred at, deprived of their education , forced into slavery . It’s very hypocritical that Jefferson was also a slave owner
Your complete lack of knowledge about the world slave trade in general, and the trans-Atlantic slave trade in particular, is on full display here. Unfortunately, you are not unique in this regard. Educate yourself. This book is a good start:

https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog....=9780674986909

Old 10-28-2022, 08:57 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,877 times
Quote:
The following is my opinion and is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings, just to express my belief:

Slavery has been common in the world until recent times.

It is an atrocity.

Most slaves shipped to the Caribbean or United States were enslaved by other African tribes and sold off.

The U.S. had it's first overseas war against Muslims who enslaved U.S. sailors, and wound up agreeing to pay an annual bounty to not have U.S. sailors enslaved.

It is possible more white Europeans were enslaved than Black Africans. This due to the Moore invasion of Europe that lasted nearly a thousand years.

In 1492 when the Emirate of Granada which was part of the Caliphate of Córdoba fell, some of the gold looted from the Muslims was used to fund Columbus on his adventure to discover a short cut to China.

Today we use fossil fuel and do not require slaves.

From - http://leave-it-in-the-ground.org/wp...ript-LINGO.pdf

"What is a fossil slave? It is the equivalent of energy that one person, working for
you around the clock would spend. A human can be compared to a 100 Watt light
bulb in his energy consumption. If you leave it on 24 hours, you get about 2.5
Kilowatt hours of energy use every day. In a year it is roughly 900 KWh that a
human spends. Compare this to an energy content of a barrel of oil: 1700 KWh.
One barrel of oil contains the energy equivalent of two full-time fossil slaves during
a year. A barrel of oil produces 0.3 tons of CO2. A ton of coal contains the
equivalent of 8 energy slaves and produces 2 tons of CO2. So there are 4-6 fossil
slaves in every ton of CO2 emissions.

If you know the per capita emissions of a country, you can estimate the amount of
fossil slaves that the average citizen of that country employs, year round:
Europe: 10 tons of CO2 per capita per year = 50 fossil slaves per person
Mexico: 6 tons of CO2 per capita per year = 30 fossil slaves per person
USA: 20 tons of CO2 per capita per year = 100 fossil slaves per person
India: 1 ton of CO2 per capita per year = 5 fossil slaves per person"

So we use energy instead of slaves to live better than royalty used to.

Last edited by functionofx; 10-28-2022 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 09:00 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Slavery is one sad facet of the human condition throughout history. All of us have slaves and slave masters in our ancestry somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Rubbish. Many whites didn't travel to America until after slavery was abolished. Others who did, came here and worked their own land, with their own children.
There are no qualifications limiting his post to African slaves in colonial America, in fact the next sentence in the quote you posted does the exact opposite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
African slavery is what comes to mind but there were and are other kinds.
So why did you take his statement so far out of context?

Old 10-28-2022, 11:40 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:

African peoples had tribal nations and traditions. They respected forests and earth’s natural resources and had dances and chants and didn’t bother anyone. They rejoiced in the biodiversity of the African continent.

Then suddenly these ships came to Ivory Coast and other West African shores and they took ropes tying up innocent people …. I watched the movie series “roots” and I saw Amistad…. And I see what they did to Kunta Kinta and others like him. It was terrible.

These people never did that to Europeans ever . Never did they send boats to UK or America with ropes … then tell you you’re going to be auctioned off to some plantation owner , whipped and beat, and then forced to plow fields for all of life and the slave kids never get to be free and where in the Bible was this in scripture that this is how you operate as a human being?

Doesn’t it even get told in the Bible that Moses freed the Hebrews… the ancestors of the original covenant with God that freedom from slavery was celebrated with the parting of the Red Sea ? And the land of milk and honey

And then these kind folks who were racistly discriminated against just because their natural skin pigment is better suited for equatorial UV rays with more melanin so they don’t die of melanoma or squamous cell skin cancer , Were callously just slurred at, deprived of their education , forced into slavery . It’s very hypocritical that Jefferson was also a slave owner

OP, you might want to brush up on your world history instead of just basing everything you know about slavery on watching Roots in fifth grade.

Last edited by WestieWhitie; 10-28-2022 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-28-2022, 12:57 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
OP, you might want to brush up on your world history instead of just basing everything you know about slavery on watching Roots in fifth grade.

I don't think the OP has any real interest in the topic. He/She/They are listed as "not a member" and have exactly 1 post. I don't understand how people get pleasure from posting on a zany and controversial topic and then never coming back.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:36 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,582,667 times
Unfortunately slavery happened on every continent with latinos, asians and europeans before African were enslaved.

Of course the most recent abomination of slavery became widespread because of ships traveling to other lands. In hindsight, African tribal leaders should have never allowed it and fought to the death against the invaders.
The problem was these inhuman and evil people did not give up as evidenced by them enslaving native americans prior to Africans.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:08 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Unfortunately slavery happened on every continent with latinos, asians and europeans before African were enslaved.

Of course the most recent abomination of slavery became widespread because of ships traveling to other lands. In hindsight, African tribal leaders should have never allowed it and fought to the death against the invaders.
The problem was these inhuman and evil people did not give up as evidenced by them enslaving native americans prior to Africans.
You do realize it was in fact the tribal leaders who were doing the selling, right?

Old 10-28-2022, 06:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I sincerely doubt that you've traced your ancestry back far enough to know that for a fact.
Why do you doubt that? Just because you have not? You can't imagine that anyone's ancestors could have lived entirely slave free? I would venture to say that the vast majority of people do not have any slaves in their ancestry whatsoever.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
What an interesting first and only post by the OP. Wonder what the OP's thinking.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:20 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Muslims were enslaving infidel blacks from the 8th century.

And doing all manner of nasty things to them - making them eunuchs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History