Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 06:47 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, but the state mental institutions were more like prisons. They didn't really treat anyone except maybe to give them a lobotomy or dope them up on medications and turn them into zombies. There was no therapy or real help provided. It did keep them off the streets though, you are correct on that.
Mental institutions no doubt had their problems, but I'm not sure that is an accurate representation of what they were like. Regardless, a warm bed to sleep in, and three meals a day would be a big improvement for many mentally ill homeless people today.

For me I definitely miss the old days when I could visit any city and walk up and down the streets, and not feel like I was visiting an open air mental institution. Life was good then, for mental patients, and even better for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I am thankful for technology and advancements in medicine today but….

I was not afraid I’d be shot in school
I was not afraid I’d be shot in the car
I was not afraid I’d be shot going to church, stores, theaters, etc…..
Me too. For about one year in the early 1970s my family lived in a government housing project which was a bit rough, and we went to the local elementary school which was also a bit rough and not a great school at all. There were lots of fights, thefts and stuff like that. But as bad as it was, there was no fence around the school, all the doors were unlocked and unguarded during school hours, and there was absolutely positively zero fear that any student would get shot by another student, or by an outsider, zero.

The same cannot be said about even the nicest, best schools in this country today.

The saddest part is that kids are growing up today, thinking this is a perfectly normal way of living. They have never experienced life without locked doors, armed police, and active shooter drills at school.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 11-06-2022 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-06-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Do you seriously think an 80 year old black man will remember the 50's/60's as fondly as an 80 year old white man?
Yes, I do. I think many 80 year old black men remember the days fondly when they could walk through their neighborhoods without fear of getting hit with a stray bullet from a drive by shooting.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:42 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, I do. I think many 80 year old black men remember the days fondly when they could walk through their neighborhoods without fear of getting hit with a stray bullet from a drive by shooting.
Black neighborhoods were never as safe as you imagine. Its more a question of the police not responding to calls there and accurate crime statistics not being kept. You truly live in a dreamland if you believe life for black people was better in the 1950's or 1960's than it is today.

You've heard of segregation haven't you? That period of history is when many school districts particularly in the South ignored the Supreme Court's order to desegregate schools.

Martin Luther King referred during the sixties to "blacks suffocating in an airtight cage of poverty" in the midst of a prosperous nation in his famous Letter from the Birmingham Jail.

The drug or narcotics problem had its origin in black ghettos during this time period. You know what? It got no attention because no one outside that area really cared as long as the drug dealers left the whites alone.

No things weren't better for minorities back than. Although, some right wing groups want to try gaslight people into believing that they were.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Black neighborhoods were never as safe as you imagine. Its more a question of the police not responding to calls there and accurate crime statistics not being kept. You truly live in a dreamland if you believe life for black people was better in the 1950's or 1960's than it is today.
From the example I gave you. Drive by shootings didn't happen in the 1950s or 60s. That was simply not a thing. The term "drive by shooting" didn't exist in that time period. About the worst thing that could happen even to a gang member in those days was that they might get jumped and beaten up by a rival gang. Which would be unfortunate but not really a threat to the entire neighborhood, like bullets flying are.

So yes, I believe there are African Americans who long for the days when so many people weren't being killed in their communities. I believe that quality of life was better for all Americans before the 1980s. Not without problems, but life was better.

Old 11-08-2022, 03:13 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
You mean, like the 90's? .
This is hilarious!

Old 11-08-2022, 03:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Right. They only had to worry about lynchings back in the "good old days".

Old 11-08-2022, 05:42 AM

217 posts, read 149,029 times
Quote:
From the example I gave you. Drive by shootings didn't happen in the 1950s or 60s. That was simply not a thing. The term "drive by shooting" didn't exist in that time period. About the worst thing that could happen even to a gang member in those days was that they might get jumped and beaten up by a rival gang. Which would be unfortunate but not really a threat to the entire neighborhood, like bullets flying are.

So yes, I believe there are African Americans who long for the days when so many people weren't being killed in their communities. I believe that quality of life was better for all Americans before the 1980s. Not without problems, but life was better.
No before 1980s urban crime wasn’t like Westside Story, it was still violent. Yeah, the quality of life was not better be for “all” Americans prior to the 1980’s. The opportunity for higher education was much more limited, and large barrier to help “all” people rise up out of poverty. Education is the great equalizer. Our current society isn’t perfect, but does allow the marginalized and most vulnerable of people a little better chance of opportunity and dignity.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:

So, the only important issue in terms of minority rights than was crime?

Old 11-08-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So, the only important issue in terms of minority rights than was crime?
According to this article which appears to be written by an African American it's #2 right after, lack of family structure. Which sounds about right to me.

Quote:
2. Dangerous cities have high African American Populations: Dangerous cities like Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore and Detroit where gang violence and crime is an everyday occurrence has a high population of African American people who live under the government of democrats.
5 Common Problems Faced By African Americans Today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History